Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

But who are you replacing?

Everyone who needs replacing has been replaced, except maybe dodo.

The entire clubs focus immediately after the drugs saga was being super nice to players and trying to make everyone hate us less. It turned us into a bunch of soft *****, we weren't even training training properly. Shield was amazed at how shit we were training coming from GWS....

Half the list were getting games when they were playing like absolute shit not to mention getting contracts they didn't earn or warrant.

Its now up to Truck to change it and put a bit of fire under players asses now that he has full control.

The entire clubs focus immediately after the drugs saga was being super nice to players and trying to make everyone hate us less. It turned us into a bunch of soft *****, we weren't even training training properly. Shield was amazed at how sh*t we were training coming from GWS....

Half the list were getting games when they were playing like absolute sh*t not to mention getting contracts they didn't earn or warrant.

Its now up to Truck to change it and put a bit of fire under players asses now that he has full control.

So nothing to change then?

Unlike what the poster I replied to was saying.

So nothing to change then?

Unlike what the poster I replied to was saying.

really don't get what you are on about....again.......

Yes there is plenty to change....

Yeah, I get that vibe too. Have you any idea what they've done differently so far?

No idea, we'll see whether it's just talk soon enough, but they've certainly picked up on a lot of the comments fans have made about the side over the last few years.

Rutten speaks about playing blue-collar football, which is the antithesis of what we've seen for the last 5 years.

Brasher appears to have raised a lot of the talking points people have made as well, but it's harder to see the outcome of those things externally.

The entire clubs focus immediately after the drugs saga was being super nice to players and trying to make everyone hate us less. It turned us into a bunch of soft *****, we weren't even training training properly. Shield was amazed at how sh*t we were training coming from GWS....

Half the list were getting games when they were playing like absolute sh*t not to mention getting contracts they didn't earn or warrant.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Woosh had to try and repair a broken playing group and balance getting the players back enjoying the game. He/the club went way too far the wrong way and we ended up not only a bottom 6 team but painfully soft as well. He was a nice calm influence for a few years so i guess not the worst option, but the players absolutely need a rocket and a clear direction from the coach from now. Truck had already started leaving his mark on the group late last year with a couple of things in my opinion, and the personalities we let go during the trade period will be better for everyone involved. Its almost a clean slate to work with now so if he sticks to his word and makes us a blue collar hardworking systems based team, Truck can be a success.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Woosh had to try and repair a broken playing group and balance getting the players back enjoying the game. He/the club went way too far the wrong way and we ended up not only a bottom 6 team but painfully soft as well. He was a nice calm influence for a few years so i guess not the worst option, but the players absolutely need a rocket and a clear direction from the coach from now. Truck had already started leaving his mark on the group late last year with a couple of things in my opinion, and the personalities we let go during the trade period will be better for everyone involved. Its almost a clean slate to work with now so if he sticks to his word and makes us a blue collar hardworking systems based team, Truck can be a success.

thats why there's a like button friend.

Sensing growing optimism amongst fans.

Who will be bringing this 'blue collar football' ? I m thinking Parish. Tough as they come.
Yes optimism with the younger group, but it'll be a tough road to get there. Still at least a good 3 years away.
I think this year in particular will be a tough year, but Rutten has the right idea.

I see Essendon in rebuild mode - simple as that. However, the midfield has talent if it can be kept together - a different story to (say) for argument's sake Carlton 4 years ago when all that was there was a younger Cripps. So I don't see Essendon as a serious chance at bottom 2. How long will it take to challenge for finals or better- is another story. As someone said the competition is evening out more and more every year - every team is more professional each year and older players don't stop getting older for any side.

How Essendon got to a rebuild situation is a pretty standard AFL story. A good side with plenty of talent cops a huge injury to their match-winner, a few other injuries to key players ( they happen) and the dwindle begins. oh and of course it is not a small thing the Club has had to do - and that is to manage all the fallout and consequences etc etc over the whole drug saga - prior to which and arguably a year following - the Club was in a strong list position.

I don't see Essendon as being as long a reset situation as Carlton had to / is going through in terms of getting back to serious competitiveness - but a few ten goal thumpings will test players resolve - and they will happen - guaranteed.

Would go with something like this:
BP Aaron Francis - gotta hope he is over his injury worries and everything clicks for him, has potential
FB Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - gotta play a tall here and he is close to the only option apart from Ambrose
BP Jordan Ridley - most likely to have a break out year after a promising last season, looks the goods
HB Michael Hurley - most experience and can direct play. Will get found out at times
CHB James Stewart - every club is looking for the next Liam Jones, the failed forward turned defender
HB Mason Redman - hope that last year was ‘second year‘ blues, lack other options. Needs to lift
Bench Patrick Ambrose - if injury free, best back up for young defensive unit.

Would be tempted to roll Devon Smith through there as well, at least he likes to tackle and can run a bit.

Not a lot of household names ... yet. Could do worse and have to put Parish or McGrath back there to add some class as the ball may well spend plenty of time in your defense.
Wow. You think we'll start with 6 players over 190 cm as part of our back 7? Two of Francis, Hurley, Stewart and Ambrose won't take part of our defensive group, I'd expect Nick Hind to be there and another small, possibly Devon Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Essendon in rebuild mode - simple as that. However, the midfield has talent if it can be kept together - a different story to (say) for argument's sake Carlton 4 years ago when all that was there was a younger Cripps. So I don't see Essendon as a serious chance at bottom 2. How long will it take to challenge for finals or better- is another story. As someone said the competition is evening out more and more every year - every team is more professional each year and older players don't stop getting older for any side.

How Essendon got to a rebuild situation is a pretty standard AFL story. A good side with plenty of talent cops a huge injury to their match-winner, a few other injuries to key players ( they happen) and the dwindle begins. oh and of course it is not a small thing the Club has had to do - and that is to manage all the fallout and consequences etc etc over the whole drug saga - prior to which and arguably a year following - the Club was in a strong list position.

I don't see Essendon as being as long a reset situation as Carlton had to / is going through in terms of getting back to serious competitiveness - but a few ten goal thumpings will test players resolve - and they will happen - guaranteed.

My biggest worry is that lack of (next) star power. McGrath looks a star in the making, if not (almost) there yet whilst Jordan Ridley became our youngest (or second) best and fairest winner ever. Outside of that, it’s hard to get excited about our young guys becoming genuine top 50 players in the comp types.
I did forget about Draper whom I am excited about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest worry is that lack of (next) star power. McGrath looks a star in the making, if not (almost) there yet whilst Jordan Ridley became our youngest (or second) best and fairest winner ever. Outside of that, it’s hard to get excited about our young guys becoming genuine top 50 players in the comp types.

Development is never linear or predictable really - high draft picks are a lottery more than a gurantee too early to pick stars in the first few years for 90% of players. No matter how talented the younger recruits/players are- it takes time for them to build up body size and strength to play 4 quarters football - there is just no escaping that. Having a core group of experienced older players to help the youth get games under their belts and encourage them is the difference between sides ( like Carlton) which have had a very tough development period or developing them faster and better.

Your midfield as it is, is strong enough to bring in and support developing players. Whilst not the strong player he was Hurley is still a better option than (for example Weitering as a first-year player) being asked to take on the #1 FF for the opposition). Your coach has enough to work with and probably has a realistic mandate from the CLub and expectations - if the Board and supporters think this is a 1-2 yr journey - then that will be the biggest negative issue your Club faces.

With tall stocks you need a bit of luck as well. Carlton has had Harry McKay missing ever pre-season till this one and being unavailable for close to 60% of his time at the Club - Marchbank more and Charlie Curnow about the same. McGovern came in as an exciting prospect and promptly had a broken bone in his neck in a training accident - he has battled fitness and form issues all year last year.

the other risk in a rebuild is losing class prospects/players to career-ending injuries - Carlton has lost Byrne/Sheehan/Pickett and probably Garlett - not to mention Docherty ( 2 years) Dow/Jack Silvagni/Fisher/Cuningham for extended periods close to a year and now Kemp in a training incident. So developmental trajectory is never linear or predictable. For every Walsh - there are 9 kids that take years to become useful.

No wonder most Clubs refuse to go full rebuild - the chances of serious setbacks if not fail to develop kids are quite large - much larger than the optimistic supporter could ever imagine. Your Club doesn't have to throw a bunch of teenagers to the wolves like Carlton had to. A better start place for the rebuild.

I disagree. Outside of Draper and McGrath, I think Caldwell, Jones, Perkins, Reid and Cox are all capable of being genuine guns.
Caldwell as an inside mid who is a good overhead mark
Perkins as an explosive mid/fwd who is elite overhead
Cox who can be a genuine wingman at 200cm.
Jones as a CHF
Reid as a KPD

Eyre also has the potential to be a good CHF with his endurance.

Sure all of them are unproven, but they all have the attributes to make it at AFL level.
Most if not all of those players have a good endurance base, are good overhead, are relatively clean below the knees, are a good size for the position they play in and are good kicks.

People often forget that McGrath, Draper and Ridley were all drafted in 2016 and are now looking to become elite players in their position. The above players give us plenty to look forward to.

Ummm but the discord at the club is far greater now than before with the exodus and the grumbling of the players who didn't leave.

I disagree. Outside of Draper and McGrath, I think Caldwell, Jones, Perkins, Reid and Cox are all capable of being genuine guns.
Caldwell as an inside mid who is a good overhead mark
Perkins as an explosive mid/fwd who is elite overhead
Cox who can be a genuine wingman at 200cm.
Jones as a CHF
Reid as a KPD

Eyre also has the potential to be a good CHF with his endurance.

Sure all of them are unproven, but they all have the attributes to make it at AFL level.
Most if not all of those players have a good endurance base, are good overhead, are relatively clean below the knees, are a good size for the position they play in and are good kicks.

People often forget that McGrath, Draper and Ridley were all drafted in 2016 and are now looking to become elite players in their position. The above players give us plenty to look forward to.

All of your assumptions are correct.........if there is the right support structure.

A player will not become a gun just in their own right but he needs to meet the right coach with the right support team and mentor. Jordan would never have gotten where he did without meeting phil jackson and the support crew that never got a mention.

All of your assumptions are correct.........if there is the right support structure.

A player will not become a gun just in their own right but he needs to meet the right coach with the right support team and mentor. Jordan would never have gotten where he did without meeting phil jackson and the support crew that never got a mention.
Yeah that's the point. I'm just saying that we have the talent to build a good side. Whether or not our draftees reach their potential is another argument.

Yeah that's the point. I'm just saying that we have the talent to build a good side. Whether or not our draftees reach their potential is another argument.

We as arm chair experts can only see the players, what's really important are the support personnels and structures and we don't see that but only decipher from their performance.

Oh we do, especially with Tigers fans.

The irony of winning a final against them from ninth on the ladder is not lost ... even after all this time.
That's ok since then we have won 3 flags and Carlton 3 wooden spoons & still no finals. Oh and thankyou for the premiership ruckmen Shaun Grigg 👍

I’m not particularly worried, no. Especially not when it’s over the top uninformed criticism.

Plenty of non-Essendon posters seem to be able to post reasonable thoughts on the topic, that post I quoted wasn’t one of them.

Not particularly worries, well, big heart i suppose. 3 of the club's best players leaving, bellchamber's final handle badly, veterans alienated and considering leaving (hurley, hooker)

Player and coach rift.

culture of fear of speaking out, read Craig Yorston's post. The club decided to remove decade old support staff in a couple of hours. Fabric of the club destroyed. In Yorston's words, no one would bleed red and black, no one understands what is red and black. Suffice to say, when there is no culture, you could have lockett at ff, carey at chf, martin in the middle, leppa at chb and sos at fb, you are not going to go anywhere.

Of course there is jake niall. Even if you downgrade his expose, it's still quite damning....

No problem at all i see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back