Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not particularly worries, well, big heart i suppose. 3 of the club's best players leaving, bellchamber's final handle badly, veterans alienated and considering leaving (hurley, hooker)

Player and coach rift.

culture of fear of speaking out, read Craig Yorston's post. The club decided to remove decade old support staff in a couple of hours. Fabric of the club destroyed. In Yorston's words, no one would bleed red and black, no one understands what is red and black. Suffice to say, when there is no culture, you could have lockett at ff, carey at chf, martin in the middle, leppa at chb and sos at fb, you are not going to go anywhere.

Of course there is jake niall. Even if you downgrade his expose, it's still quite damning....

No problem at all i see.

Modern media love people like you, just eat it all up aye?

Not particularly worries, well, big heart i suppose. 3 of the club's best players leaving, bellchamber's final handle badly, veterans alienated and considering leaving (hurley, hooker)

Player and coach rift.

culture of fear of speaking out, read Craig Yorston's post. The club decided to remove decade old support staff in a couple of hours. Fabric of the club destroyed. In Yorston's words, no one would bleed red and black, no one understands what is red and black. Suffice to say, when there is no culture, you could have lockett at ff, carey at chf, martin in the middle, leppa at chb and sos at fb, you are not going to go anywhere.

Of course there is jake niall. Even if you downgrade his expose, it's still quite damning....

No problem at all i see.

Sorry, I briefly gave you enough credit for not just swallowing everything the media writes.

How wrong I was.

Going back to the OP for a second, the clear answer is no. Essendon won't be good in 2021 but they'll certainly be better than the Essendon side of 2016 who finished with 3 wins and a percentage of 61.

I reckon they're a very decent shot at the bottom 4, but suggestions they'll win the spoon are a bit over the top.

Their forward line is one of the worst we've seen in a long time at AFL level, but they've got enough senior bodies around the park to at least remain competitive through the season.

Tipping they'll win somewhere between 5-8 games, but the real question for mine is where they go at the end of 2021.

Going back to the OP for a second, the clear answer is no. Essendon won't be good in 2021 but they'll certainly be better than the Essendon side of 2016 who finished with 3 wins and a percentage of 61.

I reckon they're a very decent shot at the bottom 4, but suggestions they'll win the spoon are a bit over the top.

Their forward line is one of the worst we've seen in a long time at AFL level, but they've got enough senior bodies around the park to at least remain competitive through the season.

Tipping they'll win somewhere between 5-8 games, but the real question for mine is where they go at the end of 2021.

As an avid Essendon lover, the last decade we’ve plugged holes in the forward line but finally forced to play our kids.

It’ll be tough to watch but exciting to see what Harrison Jones can do, how Archie Perkins goes on a half forward flank.

We may be reliant on guys like Laverde and Stringer for a prescience but getting games into inexperienced guys like the two aforementioned is exciting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Player and coach rift.

No problem at all i see.

Luckily for all those issues you feel have transpired the club is in a much, much better place.

Fantasia and Daniher wanted to leave two years in a row shows they were never fully invested in Essendon. Saad is a big loss any Essendon supporter will agree with that.

Worsfold was as much a cancer as the dysfunctional board who re appointed him.
Bellchambers was cooked anyways and the club put the club first not an individual. Wasn’t that bad since Tom is back in a coaching capacity anyways.

The club isn’t putting players first anymore which is only a good thing.

Ummm but the discord at the club is far greater now than before with the exodus and the grumbling of the players who didn't leave.

yes that's because truck is changing the status quo from what woosha had in place.

I'd argue that our forwardline was much, much worse last year than it is this year (provided that we have no injuries).

There's a stage we had Townsend as our FF and McKernan there who was also chopping out as a second ruck...
Also, no Daniher, Fantasia, Stringer or Laverde for much of the year...
So we had McKernan as the only tall and Townsend at 187cm as the next "tall" playing as a KPF
We also had Stewart coming back from two years out of the game and Draper coming back from an ACL.

Horrible, horrible year really.

Though inexperienced and unproven, I am much more comfortable going with Wright, Jones, Stringer, Laverde and Hooker as our talls/medium forwards. Jones is still young, but he'll already be an upgrade on Townsend.
Wright is an upgrade on McKernan who doesn't kick goals and gives away a million frees in contests.

It's still far from a great forward line, but at least it makes more sense structurally than whatever we fielded for most of 2020.

Last edited:
They are cooked...similar list situation to hawks.. no mans land...long way back...at least we won a few flags over the last decade...

Along with us, north, Adelaide and Gold Coast..they have 0% chance of playing finals this season.

We have one of the youngest and most inexperienced list demographics. Hawthorn have one of the oldest and most experienced.

I know which one I'd rather be coming in the bottom-6 with.

Luckily for all those issues you feel have transpired the club is in a much, much better place.

Fantasia and Daniher wanted to leave two years in a row shows they were never fully invested in Essendon. Saad is a big loss any Essendon supporter will agree with that.

Worsfold was as much a cancer as the dysfunctional board who re appointed him.
Bellchambers was cooked anyways and the club put the club first not an individual. Wasn’t that bad since Tom is back in a coaching capacity anyways.

The club isn’t putting players first anymore which is only a good thing.

All your points are probably valid as you are the supporter hence know about the club. They are all onfield issues. The real issue is the off field like staff management and loyalty to employee. The respect and trust of the staff isn't there. This isn't just an essendon issue but a corporate issue. The management took a North melbourne style culling not to the players but to the staffs and that is what the crisis is about. The onfield stuff can be sorted out with 2 to 3 good years of drafting and trading. The off field stuff would take decades.

I can attest to this because at my current and past workplace, we have had mass exodus of staffs due to poor culture. The reason, let's just say management issue. The workplaces has never recovered in that it's treading water ever since, in that's its 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Every 2 years, back to square 1. The management style has turned essendon into another corporate entity. This would work well if it's CBA or the hedge fund type place but for a football club with very deep traditional roots.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have one of the youngest and most inexperienced list demographics. Hawthorn have one of the oldest and most experienced.

Hey hey, i said essendon has issues, big ones depending on who you talk to, i never said they are ****ed....

They are cooked...similar list situation to hawks.. no mans land...long way back...at least we won a few flags over the last decade...

Along with us, north, Adelaide and Gold Coast..they have 0% chance of playing finals this season.

Yes, bombers are cooked, but not ****ed.

Essendon still has a few potential match winners and some decent players.......

All your points are probably valid as you are the supporter hence know about the club. They are all onfield issues. The real issue is the off field like staff management and loyalty to employee. The respect and trust of the staff isn't there. This isn't just an essendon issue but a corporate issue. The management took a North melbourne style culling not to the players but to the staffs and that is what the crisis is about. The onfield stuff can be sorted out with 2 to 3 good years of drafting and trading. The off field stuff would take decades.

I can attest to this because at my current and past workplace, we have had mass exodus of staffs due to poor culture. The reason, let's just say management issue. The workplaces has never recovered in that it's treading water ever since, in that's its 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Every 2 years, back to square 1. The management style has turned essendon into another corporate entity. This would work well if it's CBA or the hedge fund type place but for a football club with very deep traditional roots.........
Interested organisational culture issue. Management communicated poorly, no trust, key managers poor people.persons?

Again, luckily for Essendon that has changed in recent months.

Even the match committee has changed in the last 24 months with most coaches non - Essendon people (James Kelly, Daniel Giansiracusa, Leigh Tudor, Dan Jordan and the one Essendon person who some regard the next senior coach in waiting, Blake Caracalla).

As you say, one or two off seasons can do wonders for a club, luckily for Essendon we have one of the best negotiators in the business. As much as most don’t like him he a) gets deals done and b) gets the BEST deals done for Essendon.

I wouldn’t be bragging to much you also have a rookie untested coach and going of past results one of the worst list managers in the competition

I wouldn’t be bragging to much you also have a rookie untested coach and going of past results one of the worst list managers in the competition
How is that a brag? It's basically saying both teams have a shit list but ours has a significantly younger demographic.

One of the worst list managers in the comp?

Lol, uneducated critic who clearly doesn’t understand football.

Dodoro gets deals done, often at the benefit of his employer.

There is a whole thread dedicated to him which you have frequented and are fully aware how incorrect you are.

Rookie coach who is looking to change things at a club desperate for that.

There is a whole thread dedicated to him which you have frequented and are fully aware how incorrect you are.

I wouldn’t even waste my time trying to debate anything about Adrian dodoro with you as you are in complete denial. His and Essendons results over a long period of time and the current state of your list is all the evidence that’s needed. I hope you enjoy watching the bulldogs midfield this season Dunkley is looking in the best shape of career talk about making deals to benefit your club think about that when you’re midfield is getting absolutely smashed while Dunkley has a career best season 😁

Is he the worst in the business? Let history to decide for that. He certainly isn't anywhere near the best as far as the last decade is concerned.

The problem of his prescence is far reaching.

As stated, he is very hard to deal and this will result in many missed opportunities. Danniher saga should have been dealt with in 2019. Sydney was willing to trade 2 first picks, this should have been done there and then.

The coach's relation with player can also be a problem but the problem off the field is far greater.

Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back