Autopsy First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

The SEN post game show was absolutely panning the attendance and implying it signalled the death of the club. It struck me as a pathetic overreaction by a typically insular Melbourne media outlet.

Newsflash - Sydney does not have a collective obsession with football the way that Melbourne does. I’ve been to NRL games this year that had half as many people as we had tonight, and that’s for a sport with over 100 years of history in NSW.

We have a smaller but growing supporter base and continue to break our Membership record year on year. The atmosphere tonight was excellent.
It's amazing how many commentators working in sports media are incapable of even a modicum of informed perspective.

The SEN post game show was absolutely panning the attendance and implying it signalled the death of the club. It struck me as a pathetic overreaction by a typically insular Melbourne media outlet.

Newsflash - Sydney does not have a collective obsession with football the way that Melbourne does. I’ve been to NRL games this year that had half as many people as we had tonight, and that’s for a sport with over 100 years of history in NSW.

We have a smaller but growing supporter base and continue to break our Membership record year on year. The atmosphere tonight was excellent.
Most AFL related media is a cesspool of hot takes and ill inform, lazy commentary. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Devastating loss could of put them away

Life moves on though, the giants have bounced back from bad finals losses before and will do again

Good turnout from the GWS crowd on TV it really looked like the vast majority that were there were GWS supporters compared to past years where the opposition would outnumber

Also need to consider that Pez likely gone, Cumming good chance of going, Peatling also a chance of going

A lot of holes to plug if we don’t see the rebound from those guys and those long term contracts do not give us a huge amount of flexibility to bring more bodies in other than through the draft
Fair points. I think we keep Peatling but of the other two, I love Isaac but it feels like he's so rarely on the park and when he is he's always working his way back that I'm not sure of the impact of his departure too - if he was always 100% it's a huge loss but the version on the weekend less so.

Perryman is probably one that we'll miss more when he's gone but in my uneducated eyes he's replaceable - he's solid and average to above average in just about everything but he's not an irreplaceable star like Jezza. Even Adam was a bigger loss at the time.

We do have a number of first round talents in the reserves who hopefully will come on as well, so fingers crossed. But yes, those long term contracts do tie our hands to a degree - they are necessary to retain our own talent but this is the downside.

Good turnout from the GWS crowd on TV it really looked like the vast majority that were there were GWS supporters compared to past years where the opposition would outnumber
I'd say 60/40, maybe more to the Giants, which is an unusual feeling. The Lions packed out about four bays by the looks (any other attendees feel free to jump in and correct me) which leaves the rest of the stadium as quite well populated with Giants fans, even if there were scattered spare seats.

Fair points. I think we keep Peatling but of the other two, I love Isaac but it feels like he's so rarely on the park and when he is he's always working his way back that I'm not sure of the impact of his departure too - if he was always 100% it's a huge loss but the version on the weekend less so.

Perryman is probably one that we'll miss more when he's gone but in my uneducated eyes he's replaceable - he's solid and average to above average in just about everything but he's not an irreplaceable star like Jezza. Even Adam was a bigger loss at the time.

We do have a number of first round talents in the reserves who hopefully will come on as well, so fingers crossed. But yes, those long term contracts do tie our hands to a degree - they are necessary to retain our own talent but this is the downside.
Read in another thread an article that Peatling wanted to stay, but think Perryman and Cummings are gone.

In term of (very) long contracts we have Taylor till 2032, Daniels till 2031 and Kelly till 2029. Unfortunately like Haynes who had a back-ended contract, as the years go by they will not play their best footy as when they were in their prime

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is, unfortunately, there's a lack of mature players out there who would really contemplate coming to Sydney, except on an oversized contract.
It is harsh to lose, but a reminder to do things a little better , perhaps we got ahead of ourselves. Also less social media crap at other teams, it doesn't help.
We have two good ruck prospects (the reserve who was injured, also likely an Academy prospect), Gothard and Leake.
We are probably only the 3rd best team anyway ( Brisbane apart from goalkicking and Sydney are the best 2 teams in my view).

Last edited:
Also less social media crap at other teams, it doesn't help.
Beg to differ. It doesn't touch on field, and it's basically free advertising in a market where we still have very marginal name and brand awareness.

It doesn't help (or hinder) the team results but off field it's absolutely a help to ensuring a sustainable future for the club - it's not THE answer, but it's part of an answer.

Beg to differ. It doesn't touch on field, and it's basically free advertising in a market where we still have very marginal name and brand awareness.

It doesn't help (or hinder) the team results but off field it's absolutely a help to ensuring a sustainable future for the club - it's not THE answer, but it's part of an answer.
Yes, my kids love the Cooper Hamilton videos and the cheeky socials by our club. Reaches a younger demographic

It is harsh to lose, but a reminder to do things a little better , perhaps we got ahead of ourselves. Also less social media crap at other teams, it doesn't help.
We have two good ruck prospects (the reserve who was injured, also likely an Academy prospect), Gothard and Leake.
We are probably only the 3rd best team anyway ( Brisbane apart from goalkicking and Sydney are the best 2 teams in my view).

why put yourself down???, it was stolen from you

i understand the establishment does not like this rhetoric but facts are facts and it happened in front of your eyes and you can replay it time and time again. it is on record the media talked negatively about the crowd last night, all they think about is money and would not want a Swans Giants GF

when you get a lead GWS need to learn to play in a way it is harder for umpires to work against you, Handball overuse does not help and probably contributed to the defeat late as Lions kicking game requires less energy and ball moves faster in the air by foot

if in doubt kick it and even if the opposition get it they have to get it back through somehow, cover more ground and you and your teammates are more likely to be between the opposition and their goal than if a handball occurs and gets turned over. It is harder for umpires to give free kicks against uncontested marks. Ruck contests and other contests are a great way for umpires to create results via creative interpretations producing supposed free kicks or 50 metre penalties. How many 50 metres happen from uncontested marks? not many unless go over the mark or come in late or upset the stand rule. If you have the ball and it is your kick harder for a umpire to give a free kick against you for not giving back the ball supposedly incorrectly like last night

Last edited:
Late game skill execution the real killer for us in the end over the last two weeks, painful but fixable long term.

HH should be our Cumming replacement on the wing if Isaac leaves, utilise his offensive weapons without exposing his deficiencies in defence as often, outside of sucking in Rayner for a couple of frees he was a net negative in the 4th

why put yourself down???, it was stolen from you

i understand the establishment does not like this rhetoric but facts are facts and it happened in front of your eyes and you can replay it time and time again

when you get a lead GWS need to learn to play in a way it is harder for umpires to work against you,

It's been happening all season. There is a thread that we get the worst penalties by a huge margin against us at our homeground.

I don't mind losses that are fair but I do get particularly frustrated by losses by unbalanced officiating.

It's been happening all season. There is a thread that we get the worst penalties by a huge margin against us at our homeground.

I don't mind losses that are fair but I do get particularly frustrated by losses by unbalanced officiating.

since Giants started your club has been screwed over, finals is another level especially if your a real contender. Week after week your club has been screwed over by umpires generally, far worse than other clubs unless they want you in finals for star factor and you are unlikely to make it, then they might assist a little on one of your runs but generally you should make it purely on cattle especially if unimpeded

I think Hawks getting beat earlier did not help because if you won better chance of beating Geelong next week and that would not suit some in Melbourne pulling strings dreadng a Swans/Giants GF.

They would be thinking of turnover in Melbourne on GF week, and also some fans are both Swans fans and Giants fans and therefore can't go to the GF twice but the MCG would still be full but the powers at be a too much in their fishbowl to know anything about reality and what goes on outside their little cubicle

Last edited:
My question is simple:

How does a team with IMO the best key defensive posts in the league in Taylor, Buckley and Idun concede 100 points in a final? Where is the team breaking down? Because the two shouldn’t go together.

Identify where we’re breaking down, work hard to address it and anything is possible.

My question is simple:

How does a team with IMO the best key defensive posts in the league in Taylor, Buckley and Idun concede 100 points in a final? Where is the team breaking down? Because the two shouldn’t go together.

Identify where we’re breaking down, work hard to address it and anything is possible.
Some stoppage goals, more defensive pressure from midfield.
I think taking out midfield, GWS I'd probably say have the best combination of forwards/ backs but only about 7th or 8th best midfield/ wing combinations.
Also, backup ruck not great.
Callaghan, Green still young and improve, but with Kelly a bit off and Cogs shoulder we didn't have the midfield depth of quality.

Also we have to overpay players due to free agency rules. That hurts depth a bit.
As for crowds, Canberra etc I don't know the answer.
Swans have better areas in sydney in terms of demographics, I doubt they want any change.
Unfortunately our best area is Canberra, 270km away.

Last edited:
My question is simple:

When you've got himmelberg crashing into his own teammates all the time, ash running around like a headless chook and whitfield having his tackles broken like he is still 17 years old, it balances it out.

They are just a few names I can think of, I haven't seen all the names delisted it looking for trades yet.

The comp is so close these days you have to get better every year and not rely on the same old names and kids (who often struggle in finals) to push you over the line to a flag. It was an error from Kingsley not topping up. It also creates pressure of positions in the side so helps players perform better.
Yes. With a fair bit of players probably leaving for more $ (Perryman) and contract length (Haynes), and some delisting (Preuss), there will be more vacancies in our list this period.

As for crowds, Canberra etc I don't know the answer.
Swans have better areas in sydney in terms of demographics, I doubt they want any change.
Unfortunately our best area is Canberra, 270km away.
Canberra gets an overstated wrap because of the number of footy fans that consistently attend.

Canberra attendances are attended by footy fans with thanks to their southern location and favourable migration.

I had a Richmond mate from Melbourne that has the Giants as his second team attend the Hawks game in Canberra with me and he was shocked by the lack of Giants support.

I think he was thinking it would be much greater, it's not.

Our biggest Giants supporter base is clearly in Sydney, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back