Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Great to hear that the Indigenous Round will be named after a Fitzroy great in Doug Nicholls. Never saw him play of course but he was around the club when I first started seriously following Fitzroy in the 70's. Must have been an amazing athlete as well as a remarkable human being. Would have been idolised if he had played for one of the big Melb clubs.

Great to hear that the Indigenous Round will be named after a Fitzroy great in Doug Nicholls. Never saw him play of course but he was around the club when I first started seriously following Fitzroy in the 70's. Must have been an amazing athlete as well as a remarkable human being. Would have been idolised if he had played for one of the big Melb clubs.

From my understanding Fitzroy was a big club then but had waned a bit by the 1930s when he was playing with premierships in 1898, 1899, 1904, 1905, 1913, 1916 and 1922!

Kansas City Royals win the World Series....no 'go home' factor there apparently. No 'go home factor' for the Green Bay Packers and even the LA Clippers are doing ok these days. Australian soccer and rugby league and union players don't seem to suffer from this affliction. Any particular reason AFL players do? Apart from being little babies I mean...

Kansas City Royals win the World Series....no 'go home' factor there apparently. No 'go home factor' for the Green Bay Packers and even the LA Clippers are doing ok these days. Australian soccer and rugby league and union players don't seem to suffer from this affliction. Any particular reason AFL players do? Apart from being little babies I mean...

NRL clubs have recruiting zones/feeders which are normally locals. Plus wherever you play, you are a sleb (bar Melbourne but they got lucky with having 3 QLD legends on board).

NRL clubs have recruiting zones/feeders which are normally locals. Plus wherever you play, you are a sleb (bar Melbourne but they got lucky with having 3 QLD legends on board).
And yanno rorting the salary cap

Damn, I came to this thread hoping for Simpsons gags. Disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the average age of people entering the professional ranks in American team sports is a bit higher? There's also the fact that players have often left home to attend college before they get signed up by a professional side.

Was chatting to an NHL fan the other day and they're generally drafted at 20 at the youngest. Often overlooked in the first draft and taken at 21/22.

Being operated on as I type this, trying desperately to save him. The trainer is distraught..... I have cried a lot today, in joy for Michelle Payne (my dads favorite jockey) and sadness for Red Cadeaux. Had a feeling this was one too many for him today.

..one of the owners of POP is from our hometown. A sentimental win all around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd always been against the Melbourne Cup for the way it treats the horses until today. Had a chat with my cousin who's been an equine vet for coming on ten years. I don't see much of her so haven't really chatted to her before, but she (despite having no interest in horse racing herself) convinced me the outrage is based on emotions rather than facts. Long discussion and too long to post here, but was interesting.

I'd always been against the Melbourne Cup for the way it treats the horses until today. Had a chat with my cousin who's been an equine vet for coming on ten years. I don't see much of her so haven't really chatted to her before, but she (despite having no interest in horse racing herself) convinced me the outrage is based on emotions rather than facts. Long discussion and too long to post here, but was interesting.

Yeah my sister is a vet too and they definitely care for the horses.

It's the mere racing of the horses that is a problem for me - racing them for the purposes of gambling is the second problem. There's no point having a debate/discussion about it here, but greyhound racing will end soon and I think one day the racing of any animal will just be a black market weird thing.

Last edited:
I went down the road to chuck a bet on the Melbourne Cup and had to convince my roommate to put a bet down with me.

Eventually she put a lazy fiver on Prince of Penzance.. you're welcome roommate!

Yeah my sister is a vet too and they definitely care for the horses.

It's the mere racing of the horses that is a problem for me - racing them for the purposes of gambling is the second problem. There's no point having a debate/discussion about it here, but greyhound racing will end soon and I think one day the racing of any animal will just be a black market weird thing.

One of the biggest industries in Australia. Can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back