Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Hey guys remember that Adelaide game back in 2012 where we didn't kick a goal in the first quarter and everyone was mad and I still said we would win and I was right?

I miss those days when even if the odds were firmly stacked against us we'd fight like crazy anyway. What HAPPENED to that?!

As a side, we're currently fourth bottom in goalkicking accuracy (45.5 per cent)*. Melbourne are the most accurate side in the comp, going at 59.9 per cent.
The sides below us are Essendon, Carlton and Fremantle.

Notwithstanding our other major issues (2nd bottom disposal efficiency, 4th bottom clearances, 4th bottom contested possessions), the goalkicking is the one that crushes me. It seems like it should be straightforwardly fixable.

* note: this ignores shots that are out on the full. I would guess that we'd be close to league leaders on that count.

Proud of the fact that this weekend's indigenous round is named after an ex-Fitzroy player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Nicholls

In 1932, Nicholls joined the VFL's Fitzroy Football Club. In 1934, he was third in the Brownlow Medal count; and in 1935, he was the first Aboriginal player to be selected to play for the Victorian interstate team, ultimately playing four interstate games. He played a total of six seasons for Fitzroy, before returned to Northcote in 1938.[7] Knee injuries forced him to retire in 1939. He returned to Northcote as non-playing coach in 1947.[8]

I picked my username after Leigh Matthews was named player of the century - IMO he was not. This, along with more Brownlow votes than games played, is part of the reason why

During his career, particularly in the early years, Nicholls was subjected to onfield taunts or ostracised by his team-mates due to his colour. Nevertheless, he became a popular player among spectators; and, upon joining Fitzroy, when he was initially sitting by himself in the change rooms as a consequence of his previous ostracision, he was welcomed and befriended by Haydn Bunton, Sr. who ensured he was made welcome within the team.[9][10]

Last edited:
If martins poor form continues and West shows his worth I wouldn't mind seeing Martin play as a key defender at times and Merrett switch to up forward. Will most likely be Merretts last year so we have to look at using Andrews and Mcstay to play greater roles on tall forwards and why not throw Merrett up forward and take the pressure of the hands of Schache and Freeman. Flashback to 2012 played majority of the year as a forward and snagged 26 goals including a 7 goal haul vs GWS whilst kicking 5 in the first quarter alone.

If martins poor form continues and West shows his worth I wouldn't mind seeing Martin play as a key defender at times and Merrett switch to up forward. Will most likely be Merretts last year so we have to look at using Andrews and Mcstay to play greater roles on tall forwards and why not throw Merrett up forward and take the pressure of the hands of Schache and Freeman. Flashback to 2012 played majority of the year as a forward and snagged 26 goals including a 7 goal haul vs GWS whilst kicking 5 in the first quarter alone.

No thankyou. He also played as a forward more recently and was emphatically not a forward. Kicking goals against 2012 GWS, when they were NEAFL-standard with a season percentage of 46.17% does not make a case.

If you want a role change for Stef he could possibly go into a sort of Blicavs round-the-ground-big-midfielder-third-man-up sort of role. Maybe. He's not a defender though.

And Jonathan Brown was leading goal kicker, that year and the following.
2012 was a whopping 4 years ago and before breaking his leg. A few have suggested Merrett play forward, but do you honestly believe he is a better option than Walker? Particularly when our most vulnerable part of the ground is defence, where is the sense in playing our biggest, most experienced backman in the stacked forward line?
Come on guys.

A few have suggested Merrett play forward, but do you honestly believe he is a better option than Walker?
Come on guys.

This gets suggested every now and then, then we actually see him play forward and then it gets forgotten. Can't lead or take an overhead mark (as we saw when he punched a few on the weekend that even Spud said he should have marked), and is the worst kick for goal in the side and with our team that is saying something!

This gets suggested every now and then, then we actually see him play forward and then it gets forgotten. Can't lead or take an overhead mark (as we saw when he punched a few on the weekend that even Spud said he should have marked), and is the worst kick for goal in the side and with our team that is saying something!
Yeah, he was serviceable in a forward role 4 years ago, when
  1. He was younger, fitter and moving well, and
  2. We were completely devoid of tall forward options.
Neither of those two conditions apply today.

I wasn't sure where to put this (I wasn't sure it would get enough wider interest for its own thread), but here is a suggestion for the Lions to take up with the AFL for the Sir Doug Nicholls indigenous round next year.

I think the Lions should put a lot more emphasis on celebrating the life and history of Sir Doug given the incredible story behind it and how his history is so tied to that of our Club. It is such a great story - for those who don't know it read the articles below.

Overcoming racism at Carlton with the help of the games greatest player Haydn Bunton at Fitzroy; going on to play for Victoria and after his footy career being a Christian Pastor / community worker, being knighted and becoming Governor of South Australia.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-05-25/the-story-of-doug-nicholls
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-28/carltons-act-of-reconciliation-removes-ugly-stain

For instance, we could:
  • Have a yearly indigenous round fixture against Carlton for something like the Nicholls-Bunton reconciliation cup, perhaps taking turns between it being hosted in Brisbane and Melbourne. (Yeah Carlton treated him badly, but that was probably more a reflection of wider society than anything else, so what better way to celebrate getting past that kind of attitude).
  • Best on ground gets the Sir Doug Nicholls medal
  • We could make sure the relatives of Sir Doug and Haydn Bunton get flown to the game and take part in commemorations / presentations
  • While I like this year's Lions indigenous jumpers, we could wear the exact jumpers that Nicholls and Haydn Bunton wore
  • images
Overall, I am not a fan of recognising people for their race or any so-called positive forms of racism. However, surely this is a story of overcoming adversity that all Australians can admire.

Sir Doug Nicholls was a truly great Australian and the Brisbane Lions as custodians of Fitzroy's history should be celebrating this and getting his story out as much as possible.

By the way, the AFL has released a mini documentary on Sir Doug on their website:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-05-27/the-sir-doug-nicholls-story-in-full

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/aaron-hall-vs-dayne-zorko.1127988/page-2

One of the most ridiculous polls I've seen on BigFooty. It was started in the opening 3 Rounds when Hall was playing some really good footy and there was all this hype surrounding him becoming a better player then Ablett at the Suns. Zorko has been producing the same form for much longer and has been much better over the course of the opening 10 rounds this season.

I wasn't sure where to put this (I wasn't sure it would get enough wider interest for its own thread), but here is a suggestion for the Lions to take up with the AFL for the Sir Doug Nicholls indigenous round next year.

I think the Lions should put a lot more emphasis on celebrating the life and history of Sir Doug given the incredible story behind it and how his history is so tied to that of our Club. It is such a great story - for those who don't know it read the articles below.

Overcoming racism at Carlton with the help of the games greatest player Haydn Bunton at Fitzroy; going on to play for Victoria and after his footy career being a Christian Pastor / community worker, being knighted and becoming Governor of South Australia.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-05-25/the-story-of-doug-nicholls
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-28/carltons-act-of-reconciliation-removes-ugly-stain

For instance, we could:
  • Have a yearly indigenous round fixture against Carlton for something like the Nicholls-Bunton reconciliation cup, perhaps taking turns between it being hosted in Brisbane and Melbourne. (Yeah Carlton treated him badly, but that was probably more a reflection of wider society than anything else, so what better way to celebrate getting past that kind of attitude).
  • Best on ground gets the Sir Doug Nicholls medal
  • We could make sure the relatives of Sir Doug and Haydn Bunton get flown to the game and take part in commemorations / presentations
  • While I like this year's Lions indigenous jumpers, we could wear the exact jumpers that Nicholls and Haydn Bunton wore
  • images
Overall, I am not a fan of recognising people for their race or any so-called positive forms of racism. However, surely this is a story of overcoming adversity that all Australians can admire.

Sir Doug Nicholls was a truly great Australian and the Brisbane Lions as custodians of Fitzroy's history should be celebrating this and getting his story out as much as possible.

By the way, the AFL has released a mini documentary on Sir Doug on their website:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-05-27/the-sir-doug-nicholls-story-in-full
I like your idea. I wasn't fully up with his story, but after hearing his daughter speak on the marngrook show, I now have a far better knowledge of just how damn hard it was for him. She mentioned his absolute love of Fitzroy and how good they were to him after Carlton.

has anybody heard how justin clarke is going? has he gone back home, studying in brisbane, still involved with the club. i assume he wont be officially delisted until the end of the season. would love to see the club give the supporters an update on his condition and how the recovery is going.

hope he has fully recovered and is in a good place re his future work and personal life goals.

#weallstillthinkaboutyoujustin

I was going to go have a run at the local tonight after a pretty long layoff with a back injury that has gotten betterish. Decided it was a bit wet and cold and wont do the hamstrings any good. Stayed at home and played with my oldest boy and strained a calf. FFS this getting old shit sucks.

oh you 2, wait till you get really really old.

have you got hair growing where it shouldn't be growing?
do you play lawn bowls?
do you speak about the weather all the time and have a rain gauge?

oh you 2, wait till you get really really old.

have you got hair growing where it shouldn't be growing?
do you play lawn bowls?
do you speak about the weather all the time and have a rain gauge?
Only time the weather shits me is when i wanna go fishing. So yeah i suppose im getting old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back