Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this weird? I must be old. Brett peake is supposed to be young. IMG_20240906_190439.jpg

I don't want to be that guy, but Lloyd Meek has had a much better season than Sean Darcy, culminating in 23 touches in a final. He also is in great physical shape, is a consummate professional as he as always been, and actually runs when on the field...Sean Darcy is literally walking/ambling around the field when I've watched him this year.

They are the same age, except Sean Darcy is on 900k per year until 2030 as per his (7 year!)contract, has been overweight throughout his career and we are now hearing is bone on bone in his knee (no cartilage).

I think the Darcy contract really needs to be looked at as a poor decision from administration, given what we know about knee's and big men in sports. You only have to look at the NBA to see how many careers have been cut short by injury in those big men levers bearing the brunt of such severe force/torque.

I can see Darcy doing a Mr September (saving his best 7-10 games a year for the end of the season and finals) but thats a big price to pay for a Clark Keating when a season of Meek at a quarter of the contract cap hit and at a similar effectiveness level was on the menu.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Jackson or even Darcy put up those numbers?
Meek is underrated once the ball hits the ground. It was evident whenever he played in purple.
Jackson Round 21 2023 against Brisbane. 24 possessions, 44 hitouts, 6 tackles, 5 marks, 1 goal 2 behinds.

Darcy Round 3 2023 against WCE 20 possessions, 52 hitouts, 1 goal 2 behind, 3 tackles, 5 marks, Round 16 2023 against WB 18 possessions, 50 hitouts, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal 1 behind

So yes, they can put up those numbers.

Yep one of the greatest ever Freo players in my eyes. I know his career shouldn’t be remembered for the demolition derby but it’s one of my all time greatest games to go to, the way we were bullied by the eagles our hole existence everything changed after that game. We were never bullied again I’ll always love him for what he did for our club.

On a side note I actually have his last game ball signed by him and all the umpires who umpired the game I think it was Port Adelaide . My pop who recently passed away gave it to me. We won it at one of those after game functions they use to do at Subiaco oval for harbour masters. It’s definitely my favourite Freo memorabilia.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

I think Dale was still in WA in 1992 and maybe still on WCE's list. Could be that the AFL pre-season draft extended into the actual season or was conducted close to the beginning of the AFL season and operated differently. What I remember is that one week he was going to line up for Claremont for the 1st round of WAFL when St Kilda were coming to WA to play West Coast in Rd 3 of the AFL but during same the week the papers were signed to make him a St Kilda player and he lined up that weekend for St Kilda against West Coast before relocating to Melbourne to play the rest of the AFL season.

There was also this incident in 1991 which I remember seeing on TV as it was the ABCTV WAFL broadcast game. A lengthy supsension of 8 weeks for a headbutt, then pushing over a central umpire. Big Ron in this Westside Football article blames the umps for escalating the situation, which is how I remember it too.

Scrolling down the pages of Westside Football a little further (in the above link) our favourite punching bag Crumpets has his say on banning TV replays. Along the way there's also a profile of Peter Miller one of Freo's 1st recruits.

Last edited:
I was at the game when the umpire marked the ball v Stkilda. I remember Kickett destroying saints off half back and in my eyes the best game I’ve seen live from a Freo defender. Remember his run and carry that night like it was yesterday. That’s how I remember him not the punch up.

Would Jackson or even Darcy put up those numbers?
Meek is underrated once the ball hits the ground. It was evident whenever he played in purple.
?? Pretty sure he used to have about 7 to 9 touches. I remember vividly as he stunk up my fantasy team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back