Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its actually a qualified "we are better off without buddy than paying huge overs for him"

Hes on the park more often than not and hes not a crash bash type which will extend his career to adam goodes lengths, which easily means seven more years.

However if we paid overs and lost him after three years of a five year contract we would be in the shizen

Asi mentionded GWS dont have that worry, buddy goes and they just hold out the hand at AFL hq for another leg up

GWS were chasing Tippet last year, why did they give up on him? They could have afforded more than what Sydney offered him. Why did Tippet go to Sydney?and not GWS?. The Sheikh of Sydney, said he didn't want him anymore,as he was too expensive!??? Maybe he was told by the AFL to ease up on Tippet,and save their money for Buddy! You honestly wouldn't know what they plan between themselves,to get what they want.As I have said a dozen times, the AFL is corrupt, they will do whatever they want ,to get what they want!

HAMMER, NAIL, ******* HEAD.

Spot on. Absolutely spot on. Thought that it was extremely strange at the time as well. I have no doubt this was all preplanned. I have no idea how GWS would have much cap room when they are paying Scully $2 million a season and other players like Ward and Palmer $800k+. Seriously its an absolute farce.

The expansion teams were given expanded caps at the start but they begin winding in. Surely none of their 'big' signings (Ward, Davis, Palmer, Scully, etc) had less than a 3 year contract. Considering ALL clubs must pay 95% of their cap I find it hard to believe that they are able to find so much money when they must also re-sign all their young guns after their initial 2 year contracts (AFL Standard) drafted in 2011. Table below from wikipedia.

2014 AFL Standard 50 $1,000,000 extra AFL Standard -
2015 AFL Standard 48 $880,000 extra AFL Standard -
2016 AFL Standard 46 $760,000 extra AFL Standard -
2017 AFL Standard 44 $640,000 extra AFL Standard -
2018 AFL Standard 42 $520,000 extra AFL Standard -
2019 AFL Standard - AFL standard All concessions removed and the club operates like every other team in the AFL.

Risky move to match the offer if its beyond us as Bud may turn around and say 'what the hell, I'll stay for 6 years at 1.5m'. Not that he's not worth it but we can't afford it.

But it will be the extra AFL ambassador money that he will want, and we dont have to match that. So even though the offer will look the same its probably an extra $500k a year he would be turning down to stay.

HAMMER, NAIL, ******* HEAD.

Spot on. Absolutely spot on. Thought that it was extremely strange at the time as well. I have no doubt this was all preplanned. I have no idea how GWS would have much cap room when they are paying Scully $2 million a season and other players like Ward and Palmer $800k+. Seriously its an absolute farce.

The expansion teams were given expanded caps at the start but they begin winding in. Surely none of their 'big' signings (Ward, Davis, Palmer, Scully, etc) had less than a 3 year contract. Considering ALL clubs must pay 95% of their cap I find it hard to believe that they are able to find so much money when they must also re-sign all their young guns after their initial 2 year contracts (AFL Standard) drafted in 2011. Table below from wikipedia.

2014 AFL Standard 50 $1,000,000 extra AFL Standard -
2015 AFL Standard 48 $880,000 extra AFL Standard -
2016 AFL Standard 46 $760,000 extra AFL Standard -
2017 AFL Standard 44 $640,000 extra AFL Standard -
2018 AFL Standard 42 $520,000 extra AFL Standard -
2019 AFL Standard - AFL standard All concessions removed and the club operates like every other team in the AFL.
Scully isn't on $2 mil a year, where do you get those figures from?
He's on $1 mil a year for 5 years

And if ever there was a clear articulation of the cheapness of money for the franchises this is it.

How Tom Scully can be worth so much coin, for so long, shows how weighted the deck is.

So to extrapolate: when a clear A-grader, like Buddy is on the market, it's really not that hard to see how they could command insane money for clubs with such concessions.

This is exactly why GWS have the room. Scully is on $5 mil over 5 years - that is correct. But it is being paid 2 million in the first year, 2 million in the second, and 333k in the 3rd, 4th and 5th years - freeing up about 1.5 million in the cap for re-signing youngsters.

The same was done with all their mature recruits.

I think this is often overlooked/down-played.
One more thing to add (didn't want to make the last post any bigger);

Some also point to the game on the weekend as an indicator that Buddy is overratted and him leaving will be seamless for our forwardline (in fact they say it would even be beneficial as we waste forward entries on a player that can't mark the ball). Aside from the fact Buddy has been brilliant for years and was heavily infringed upon on the weekend, people underestimate the influence his presence created on the weekend. Time and time again he absorbed the attention of their best defender (Frawley) plus an extra man (usually Pederson). This allowed our other forwards (Roughead, Grimley, etc) to be free and really hurt Melbourne. It also meant that the likes of Roughie and Grimmers had 3rd tall type opponents rather than an All Austrlian in Frawley. Beyond that, Franklin still brough the ball down to Breust, Burgoyne, Puopolo and even Roughead who dined out - scoring multiple goals directly off Franklin crumbs despite Franklin being held and competing 2 on 1. That is a huge win. Almost as as addendum, Franklin did still have 5 shots at goal and kick 2. Whilst we still have a very capable forward line without him, replacing him with someone outside the 22 will obviously not improve the side. Some have spoken of O'Brien but at the moment he is just a tall draftee that has shown nothing yet. He still has a way to get past the draft average of 20 something games let alone replace Franklin. At the moment he looks raw and is still learning his craft at the Box Hill development squad.
Interesting to listen to commentators commending Jack Riewoldt ( v Eagles) for his selfless team-orientated game, for doing what Buddy's been doing ( and copping criticism for).

This is exactly why GWS have the room. Scully is on $5 mil over 5 years - that is correct. But it is being paid 2 million in the first year, 2 million in the second, and 333k in the 3rd, 4th and 5th years - freeing up about 1.5 million in the cap for re-signing youngsters.

The same was done with all their mature recruits.
That's quite amazing on 2 counts:
1: that the figures you quote are right and GWS are doing this
2: that you actually know this

I guess with so many youngsters on their list they are able to do it, possibly only Suns could too!

Footy Classified tonight said there are 4 teams in the race for Bud
We are favorites
Then come GWS
Then Brisbane and Gold Coast
No other Melbourne club can afford him
Freo are confident of landing Harry Taylor

Caro asked the question, Why on earth would he leave Hawks? Best run club she said!
Lyon said he hates living in Melbourne because he can't leave his front door without the media on him
Caro laughed it off saying he has more than a good time living here
I took it as a Lyon dig at Caro as they were laughing as they were talking
Lloyd also mentioned Buddy's hand has been no good for a few weeks and its been a courageous effort for him to even be out there! Amazing, a pat on the back for once!

I guess with so many youngsters on their list they are able to do it, possibly only Suns could too!

The concept is sound, and was known somewhat publically.

the amounts are estimates.

IIRC Ablett was on something similar, 4 million in year 1 and 2, 250k the remainder.

Yeah it was reported at the time.

People were laughing how Scully was getting more than Ablett. He was the highest payed player last year!

we should be making a lot of noise about the extra million in salary cap gold coast gws and sydney receive....it is a disgrace and unjustified, for example its cheaper to live in Qld and Adelaide yet melbourne clubs don't receive a million more in the cap, further Sydney once was much more expensive then Melbourne back in the 80's, that gap has closed dramatically over the past 12-13 years

Get on the airways Sen saw triple m etc and make noise re million extra as a starting point and the unjustified farce that it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Classified tonight said there are 4 teams in the race for Bud
We are favorites
Then come GWS
Then Brisbane and Gold Coast
No other Melbourne club can afford him
Freo are confident of landing Harry Taylor

Caro asked the question, Why on earth would he leave Hawks? Best run club she said!
Lyon said he hates living in Melbourne because he can't leave his front door without the media on him
Caro laughed it off saying he has more than a good time living here
I took it as a Lyon dig at Caro as they were laughing as they were talking
Lloyd also mentioned Buddy's hand has been no good for a few weeks and its been a courageous effort for him to even be out there! Amazing, a pat on the back for once!

This will happen everywhere!

"Lyon said he hates living in Melbourne because he cant leave the front door"

And for this reason you can earn potentially millions in sponsorship, endorsements, commercial arrangements with brands....in Melbourne with Hawthorn wearing #23 with flags next to your name....not in Brisbane where it a glorified country town shithole, certainly not in Greater western sydney where it is even a bigger shithole and no-one will give one flies f**k who you are...but you'll still be harassed and crucified by the media at any opportunity in any case. There is no real reason to leave at all Bud, sign the contract and become a one club icon and with it comes flags and a brand that will earn the money in any case

If Buddy was so injured, why wasn't he rested during the last 3 bye weeks? Can't be that bad

I think it's the type of injury he has to just play through and he will carry it for most of the year unfortunately, in the off season he will probably fix it up.

I hope I'm wrong but that's what I'm hearing. Who knows it may come good with time and not require any type of surgery in the off season.

In the NHL if a restricted FA signs an offer sheet from another franchise and it is not matched it costs that franchise its own draft picks depending on the length and $$$ involved.

If we use GWS as an example that would mean Franklin is the highest paid player in the league and for five years. We would get the Giant's first rounder for 5 seasons.

There is a school of thought amongst the "heavy hitters" in the press and on BigFooty that there should not be any compensation because it doesn't exist in other sports. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS BLATANT LIE.

The NFL has a similar arrangement to this.

Out: Franklin
In: Grimley

Heh. If only. I dont recall exactly what impression Franklin gave in his first handful of games, but if my memory serves me correctly he kicked goals with his first 30 kicks in the AFL o_O

I think that Hawthorn can continue to win and be successful without Buddy. The big loses will come off the ground with marketability and merchandising sales and gate receipts as well as the unquantifiable enjoyment that having him in the squad brings to supporters rocking up to the games. Having Buddy on the field is like having a game within a game whereby no matter what the state of the match you can always barrack for big bud to make a push for the Coleman or kick goal of the year. This is what will be the real loss imo. I also dont think we realise how many young supporters that Buddy is responsible for getting to the club. We are going to be reaping the benefits from that for 3 generations to come. From this perspective Buddy is absolutely worth every cent we can throw at him.

i said that to someone and they reckoned i was wrong and i reckon i was right if he had not played we may have come close to losing if not losing

No one can know for sure. He was pretty dreadful in the first half with how much he fumbled the ball and a lot of I50's were wasted going for him when there were better options on. But he also plays that decoy forward role better than anyone else in the league given how he attracts the best defender and 1 or 2 others without fail for most of the game.

No one can know for sure. He was pretty dreadful in the first half with how much he fumbled the ball and a lot of I50's were wasted going for him when there were better options on. But he also plays that decoy forward role better than anyone else in the league given how he attracts the best defender and 1 or 2 others without fail for most of the game.
true but he did kick 5 would someone else have kicked those goals or would no one have kicked them etc i guess that we will never know how it would of panned out with out Bud in the side that day really but it is possible that we could have lost it if he was not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back