Review Freo dims the Suns by 20

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this earlier on the game day thread.

I just noticed we didnt play Walters as he was injured today.

This game today showed us a sample of what our forward structure is like in a post walters era.

Anyone here confident about that?

If Walters retires at the end of this season, do we have a solid enough forward line to contend for finals from 2025 onwards?

This game today showed us a sample of what our forward structure is like in a post walters era.

If Walters retires at the end of this season, do we have a solid enough forward line to contend for finals from 2025 onwards?
Nope we significantly lack forward class and leadership.

I'll give a positive shout out to Brayshaw who was incredible defensively in there (as well as his touches and goal). Must have stopped 4 clean centre clearances all by himself
I think he was very good in the clinches too. 70% disposal efficiency isn't terrible anyhow his contested work, clearances and tackles was the strength. Ten score involvements was a bonus.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I felt that I was watching a team that needs another year of development before really challenging. A good game, but a few too many passengers still. Everything is crossed in the hope that Pearce is not out for long.
Amiss and Jackson a bit disappointing, but I thought some of our delivery to the forwards was rubbish too.
Also, way too many shots on goal that were 9/10 type shots missed. Switta with the snap in the 3rd was just deplorable. 30 m out directly in front with no pressure. We played well enough to bury them but didn't, which sucks.

It’s the same offenders - we can never win by enough and we should be in the GF
I can kind of understand that 30 years of Freo has mentally scarred them, but shit, not many pundits even had us in their top 12 this year. Collingwood beat NM by 1 point last week and their supporters weren't even as gloomy.

Midfield goals anyone?

This is a big part in why Sydney are so good. Heeney, Gulden and Warner being a scoreboard threat all the time, even if their forwards aren’t clicking.

This is a major improvement area for us. I don’t think anyone is surprised Young can kick goals. He has another level to go to as a goalkicking mid and can be a star. Brayshaw has been spending time forward of centre. And Serong has been well down on what he is capable of as a goalkicker. All of these guys can be more attacking options in the future to take us to the next level and we got a glimpse of it today.

Yes. His output this season has been next to nothing in most games. We can cover that easy enough.

I think he was very good in the clinches too. 70% disposal efficiency isn't terrible anyhow his contested work, clearances and tackles was the strength. Ten score involvements was a bonus.

70% disposal efficiency is borderline elite for an inside mid*

Gary Ablett Junior is the best inside midfielder I’ve ever seen and he went at under 70% for his career. Pendlebury is the only one consistently above 70%.

Brayshaw played a lot of other roles today so the above comparison is almost as irrelevant as using that stat without taking position into consideration. Anything below 80% for a defender is terrible - Inside mids who are very good kicks usually go around 60-70%.

Good to win. Great we are 5th. I would love to see Fyfe and Johnson give the first option when they win it, instead of trying to beat a player. They get their hands on it first, but then always try a fend off or sidestep. Dish it out and job well done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game was fine. Goal kicking still a disappointment, my boy Sturt finally looking the goods.

Yes, we're sitting 5th. Yet to beat anyone in the 8 had pretty stinging losses to Port, Bulldogs and West Coast.

Looking forward to seeing us play in person next weekend against the top of the table Swans.

Still feels like we are a fair distance from challenging for a flag.

Our Def is pretty good but boy I do like GC’s as well

There are some amazing athletes in the AFL but Mac Andrew might be the most amazing of them all

That Uland kids is tough as nails as well

I just don’t know what to make of us , we look good at times and bottom 4 level at others … often in the same quarter but I guess that’s footy 2024 style

Game can’t deal with 19 teams though , too many super fit spuds filling up spots who don’t do anything but make the game look horrid already and Tassie will just make it 8% worse than it already is

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The argument about us beating anyone in the 8 is really not as big of a gotcha as people like to make it out to be. If we lost today we would’ve lost to a 6th placed team but we won and we only beat 12th.

Next week we lose and we could have wins against 2 top 8 teams

Still haven’t played gws, ess and Geel and who knows if they’ll be in the 8 when we play them.

Felt the pressure was on today for the most part, and although the scores never blew out , didn't feel we were in danger either.

Wasn't a dominant performance but one that we did just enough to always be in front and win. Bank the points and get ready for the real test against the swans

I don't think so. I will say this though, Patrick Voss is killing it in the WAFL. Nice to see.

Well done to Serong and Brayshaw who were both crap last week and really responded today.
Clark (Kent) and (Dick)Treacy, nuff said, these comic book heroes are the two biggest positives of the year, outstanding.
The playing surface is a shit house ice rink, there are too many idiot's sitting in my section, but still all is good after a win

Well done to Serong and Brayshaw who were both crap last week and really responded today.
Clark (Kent) and (Dick)Treacy, nuff said, these comic book heroes are the two biggest positives of the year, outstanding.
The playing surface is a shit house ice rink, there are too many idiot's sitting in my section, but still all is good after a win
What section you in? 😉

Thought that was fine, gold coasts blue chip midfielders are pretty good so it wasnt that surprising that they had a few good patches

Brayshaw, Darcy, Young all played season best games

Chapman was awesome - i think he is the fyfe replacement

Surprised to see Johnson only had 15 touches, i thought he was handy

Happy that sturt is in the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo dims the Suns by 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back