Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have any one who can will us over the line?

Who can will himself to get free late in the game, break the lines and win the game for us.

I saw Merrett do it against Collingwood single handedly. Bont has done it many times, I am not sure we have a player who has done it for us.
Brayshaw has done it a few times (last year comes to mind) but yes this year I don't think we have seen it and we have needed it.

We definitely had opportunities to finish them off in the third. Part of the reason we'd got into that strong position was how much effort we'd put into our tackling game (annoyingly Hawkfawn also were nailing tackles too). Maybe it left us the wrong side of the energy ledger when we had to overcome the tide turning (and it was just a few moments here and there and a more than a few of them down to luck) in the last.

We've still got a hell of a lot of internal growth in us between now and the end of the year. Much more than just about any of the top teams. It's on many fronts, but even if it was just Jackson clicking more into gear, I reckon our trajectory is sharply heading upwards.

Brayshaw has done it a few times (last year comes to mind) but yes this year I don't think we have seen it and we have needed it.
I think we will struggle to win a premiership with out one player who lift when we need it.

Hawks had Burgoyne at half back, who they could move around if they needed a lift. We need to find a difference maker.

Who can will himself to get free late in the game, break the lines and win the game for us.

I saw Merrett do it against Collingwood single handedly. Bont has done it many times, I am not sure we have a player who has done it for us.

I think we do. They didn’t do it yesterday though unfortunately.

Pretty disappointing. These blokes got to understand that the supporters are as invested as they are. Expectation brings heightened anxiety and hope. I reckon they bounce back, but they got to win the game yesterday to be a real contender

Meek was clearly the difference. We would have spanked them if Darcy played.

Not too concerned TBH.

Iv had time to reflect on it. I think I wrote we were embarrassed by a C grade midfield in the game thread, I was pissed off. I still don’t think their midfield is that good certainly not one of the top 6-8 in the comp and ours is, but I dont think we were embarrassed. If we had Darcy I do believe we would have won, meek just gave them silver service and Jackson just couldn’t get his hands on it in the ruck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time we lose Darcy, and mess with the forward structure it weakens our chances to turn the games outcome.
I feel that a few games are lost off the field rather than anything else and that is in team selection.
If we can learn from this? But we shoot ourselves in the foot more than an opposition player getting them over the line.
Hawks coach has gone the youth pathway, and ironically we have JOM and we let Meek go and still don't rate him.
Before I get the we are young argument too, it is our older players that are now cemented in the team with no
accountability that are a concern for our future.
Lets hope that things change for next year, we have game changers, pace and aggression that can be injected into
the team. Will they?
Players that should be fast tracked are Knobel, Simpson for starters, future guns.
Watson has only kicked 6, 7 goals yet he is backed by Mitchell, our conservative, predictable approach will see us play
finals, no way we are winning a flag.
Without injury do we see Draper? We are missing that inspirational, physical side in our coaching panel and IMO it is
holding us back.

I wonder how much of this coming down to not knowing where to kick for the ground.

How tough is it to adjust for different grounds?

I would imagine, the grand stands increase the difficultly and the wind swirls around them.
Agree. I'm not familiar with the ground conditions , even though it's a clear blue sky day, pretty sure there it gets bit swirly there and you need to kick to account for it.

In that last quarter there were just some moments.
Voss - first shot on goal. Straight. Fell short. Did he punch that as hard as he could?
Amiss - Picks up ball 10m out from goal? Just kick it off the ground?
Sicily - soccer. Just have to get that through.
Sicily - pack mark. Where’s someone coming through and punching that 15 rows back?

These are just a few of those moments and the game goes the other way.

Did we have any dare in the last?

There’s something mentally off or structurally off in the last 35-40 mins of games when close.

The only difference with Carlton, Port, Hawks and Swans is that we had a larger lead against Swans and that they missed some chances late, remember they also had the Florent snap from 40m.

In that last quarter there were just some moments.
Voss - first shot on goal. Straight. Fell short. Did he punch that as hard as he could?
Amiss - Picks up ball 10m out from goal? Just kick it off the ground?
Sicily - soccer. Just have to get that through.
Sicily - pack mark. Where’s someone coming through and punching that 15 rows back?

These are just a few of those moments and the game goes the other way.

Did we have any dare in the last?

There’s something mentally off or structurally off in the last 35-40 mins of games when close.

The only difference with Carlton, Port, Hawks and Swans is that we had a larger lead against Swans and that they missed some chances late, remember they also had the Florent snap from 40m.
Yeh we had our chances... Also dropped crucial marks like Jackson's , few lucky rolls there way, where the kick was smothered but it went into their hands..

This moment displayed Jackson's need to work on his positioning. In that situation he should strongly avoid jostling with lumps like Meek and work on being in a position to get a good fly from the side to spoil.

Unfortunately I don't think we have any umps that like us enough to put themselves on the line to make some dubious decisions to get us over the line 😅😭 lol

Iv had time to reflect on it. I think I wrote we were embarrassed by a C grade midfield in the game thread, I was pissed off. I still don’t think their midfield is that good certainly not one of the top 6-8 in the comp and ours is, but I dont think we were embarrassed. If we had Darcy I do believe we would have won, meek just gave them silver service and Jackson just couldn’t get his hands on it in the ruck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Their midfield is top 5, let alone 6-8. Brutal, big-bodied, physical clearance side, with no lack of skill coming from Will Day (Worpel and Duke are pretty good, but Day is phenomenal). Meek is a top-notch physical ruck man in the style of Nankervis. Make no bones about it, that's a tough unit; when they play with the intensity they did yesterday? Not many sides are living with that.

However, we still controlled the game for large portions and should have won, given where our misses were from. We've historically kicked badly, but often due to marks being taken in less-likely-to-score areas. We're consistently marking in better areas now, and the kicking will come, so pretty pleased with everything bar that.

The other issue was them streaming out the back of centre-clearances - Darcy solves the majority of this. It's been posted before, but he's a much more controlled ruck, and can keep it tight if needed. Jackson is gold or bust in that regard. We win if Darcy played yesterday, even for a half. He would've worn Meek out, and Jackson could've feasted for half a quarter. Meek was immense yesterday, and arguably won them the game.

We're still in it. Likely 6th at the end of this a game clear of 8th. Not fussed if we finish 5-8, we play well on the road and shit off a bye. We are going to pose some problems for whoever has us, for sure.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is interesting that The Mongrel Punt had a really good go at the AFL (in our match review) about the fixturing sending us to Tassie 12 times whilst Collingwood have never been there. In fact the article comments that Pendlebury has never played a game in Tassie or Geelong. Additionally there are three other melbourne clubs that have only been to Tassie once or twice.
Not quite the fair and even competition that the AVFL boasts about.

His dropped mark, 15 metres out, which they scored from was hell annoying
He's definitely been a frustration this year for me. Yesterday doubly so. On the brightside he could easily click into gear instantly and seemingly out of nowhere and in the process lift our whole operation a few levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back