News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought you were the fisherman?

I've had a few so buckle up. (A post of yours where you were too scared to send a skilled rookie out to work in front of a lazy veteran springs to mind).

Loving your company as usual, but you are a little bit out of your depth.

meh.

Bring it Danny.

You'll only piss off and disappear for 2-3 weeks and then come back and start again.

sigh.

Lets just wait and if the unlikely happens and Jack makes it to Freo and doesnt shape up we can put in the BF boots and Bushie can say I told you so but on the other hand he morphs into a class KPP we can all put the BF boots into Bushie so it could turn out a win win for all concerned

Does that make any sense or has the amber liquid got to meo_O

I always take my medicine.:thumbsu:

Didn't hear the game as I watched it at a pub. Saw our Cheersquad was way behind the field and fenceline so not sure how much impact they had on the game.
Where did you sit?

Can't remember the name of the stand. Opposite end to construction.

There were only a few of us but we whooped it up (it's not a bad thing to treat a draw like a win when you're 27 down in the last and then do what we did is is it? I do confess to bagging MJ a little).

Keep up the good work.

Duffield and Pav?:confused: Where did I mention them? Duff is just a talented, lazy ferker who copped a kick up the arse from Harvey and responded. Fell in a heap again and RTB took him to task and he responded again. Why? Because he wanted it. He'd already shown it.

I am unsure of Clancee's circumstances, however I can assure you that plenty of parents go on the bones of their own arse to put their kids through private school.

Why? It's not just because of the educational standard, but also because of the connections it gives you in life, both in business and socially.

Going to a private school as a spoon-fed priviledged kid against a kid whose parents are pawning their house and their arse to get you through are two very different things.

But I digress.

Walters had already shown us all a truckload of potential at AFL level prior to RTB's arrival. He already had that fire and passion in his guts! You could see it in his play and his goal celebrations.

However, like a tragic amount of indigenous kids, he took the easy option. He thought that he'd "made it" already and chose the slippery slope of partying with his mates and taking the easy options in life and training. Have a look at the recent interview with Ashley Sampi, and how he regrets his life choices after showing so much. Even Andrew Krak's interview tonight at half-time!

Lyon knew that he had something to work with Walters, he'd seen it before. So he challenged him and Sunny responded like I, and only a few others here, believed that he would.

Jack has shown nothing but wasted potential as a spoilt 16-17 year old kid.

You brought up a private school education as a reason why Watts wasn't 'hungry' .. silver spoon I believe it was. I pointed out that a private school education has no impact on the outcome of a player - using two examples of players who were inconsistent (Duffield) or on their last legs (Pearce) with Freo, along with one player who went to a private school and has had no issue with how he turned out (pavlich). I don't accept that argument. Trying to twist it by talking about Clancee in the same sentence as 'parents who struggle to put their kids through primary school' still doesn't help your argument. You don't know Clancee's situation nor do you know Watt's - it's a moot point.

"he took the easy option. He thought that he'd 'made it' already and chose the slippery slope of partying with his mates and taking the easy options in life and training" could equally apply to Watts. Don't bring race into it. Players of every descent have not made the most of their careers through lack of application. The difference between their situations is that Walters had a reason to change (threat of being put out on his ass) whereas Watt's hasn't - he's just had pressure and expectation and no support structure around him. You know Watts himself has said that the Demon's have no leadership and a losing culture - as recently as a month ago.

I maintain my point that culture and the environment that the players are surrounded by, developed within and held accountable to - is the most important facet of whether a player will or won't make it. We're building that - and it is what will help us get the most out of every player on our list, and I believe it will also allow us to do what Sydney has done, and get the most of players who weren't able to perform to their capabilities at other clubs.

meh.

Bring it Danny.

You'll only piss off and disappear for 2-3 weeks and then come back and start again.

sigh.

My line is tugging.

I can smell crap from a mile away. Your posts smell like crap.

So are you a union lacky (remembering that the MUA and such are very anti foreign labour), a corporate suckhole or a straight out liar???

You brought up a private school education as a reason why Watts wasn't 'hungry' .. silver spoon I believe it was. I pointed out that a private school education has no impact on the outcome of a player - using two examples of players who were inconsistent (Duffield) or on their last legs (Pearce) with Freo, along with one player who went to a private school and has had no issue with how he turned out (pavlich). I don't accept that argument. Trying to twist it by talking about Clancee in the same sentence as 'parents who struggle to put their kids through primary school' still doesn't help your argument. You don't know Clancee's situation nor do you know Watt's - it's a moot point.

Watt's family situation is very well known indeed tyvm. He was spoon-fed and priviledged. Poor little Jack has been molly-coddled and hand served since he was a baby.

Pav comes from a slav background, whose parents are notorious for driving their children harder and longer than your stereotypical caucasian "Aussie" family.

"he took the easy option. He thought that he'd 'made it' already and chose the slippery slope of partying with his mates and taking the easy options in life and training" could equally apply to Watts. Don't bring race into it. Players of every descent have not made the most of their careers through lack of application. The difference between their situations is that Walters had a reason to change (threat of being put out on his arse) whereas Watt's hasn't - he's just had pressure and expectation and no support structure around him. You know Watts himself has said that the Demon's have no leadership and a losing culture - as recently as a month ago.

Then surely, the #1 pick, the future leader of the club, the great white hope, would take it upon himself to do something about it?

Show some leadership on the field. Inspire young guys like young Viney by his courage and character.

No. Jack plays like a big girls blouse and lets the 18 year old kids like Toumpas and Viney show the way.

Utterly pathetic.

I'll leave the race card and son-son out of it now due to my respect for him.

I maintain my point that culture and the environment that the players are surrounded by, developed within and held accountable to - is the most important facet of whether a player will or won't make it. We're building that - and it is what will help us get the most out of every player on our list, and I believe it will also allow us to do what Sydney has done, and get the most of players who weren't able to perform to their capabilities at other clubs.

And I'll maintain mine that personal responsibility, pride and self-respect are equally important.

Plenty of players go to Sydney and get cut because they don't want it badly enough.

;)

All of life is about probabilities - recruiters make value judgements based on probabilities. Whilst judgments are being made on generalizations, they do have substance in probability. Watts has a silver spoon fed background and cushy road to AFL. Does that mean he cannot make it when truly tested, no. But it does mean he has lower probability of making it. Recruiters do look at backgrounds and character, to see if there have been "defining" character moments in their lives and what they learnt and went on from them. Some people don't have these, and from what I know of Jack Watts is that he has not been truly tested character wise, and has had certain benefits in physiology and family that have resulted in a "easy" road to the AFL.

Perhaps he will come through this period and take the hard decisions to truly apply himself and truly succeed - perhaps at Freo, but the odds/probabilities are against it somewhat compared to others that have reached the level through being against it at certain stages in their lives, and re-installed that character when tested again - ie Walters and others on our list.

PS: there have been a few "silver spoon" players at Freo in the past, some have shown true character, some not. One I certainly know of in recent years moved on to another club but showed some degree of character with a couple of major tests (by accident circumstance and the then coach) to his character and added some value to the team he went.

Personally I hope we don't go after Jack Watts - He may come good and be worth it but it will take a lot of micro-management to do so which only takes resources (mentor/coach time) away from other players.

Watts will never be a superstar but he could be very useful as an intercepting back. The problem for the kid is that he doesnt have mental skills for being a number one pick much like tarant and croad.

If he cames to the dockers which I doubt, Ross will give him a role down back as an interceptor and play maker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know him personally? He is stupid but well intentioned for the most part, mixed with attention seeking.

I take it by that comment you're an advocate of genetic modification / screening? If you strangle all the dumb ones, you'd better hope you're the smartest.

A brave new world ? Were is Huxley when you need him.

Do you know him personally? He is stupid but well intentioned for the most part, mixed with attention seeking.

I take it by that comment you're an advocate of genetic modification / screening? If you strangle all the dumb ones, you'd better hope you're the smartest.

Not necessicarily. We could just widen the strangling scope to strangling dumb babies and those babies that will grow up to advocate strangling dumb babies..

Watts will never be a superstar but he could be very useful as an intercepting back. The problem for the kid is that he doesnt have mental skills for being a number one pick much like tarant and croad.

If he cames to the dockers which I doubt, Ross will give him a role down back as an interceptor and play maker.

I agree, his only spot would be a Johnson like third tall in defense who is a distributer. He doesn't have the intensity in the contest to be a key forward.

I'm in the don't want camp but have a question for those who want Watts. Do you think Cale Morton is going to change and become a good player for the Eagles? They have been woeful through the guts this year and they are picking debutants and Brad Dalziel before Morton (I don't think he's injured?). It seems to me it is a lot harder to change a persons heart than anything else. Skills are secondary to this and I think it would be easier to develop our own or poach another than Un-Melbourne Watts.

And their votes in elections carry the same value. That's why pollies pander to them.
Capper is a harmless bloke who was manipulated by smart(er) people.

I swear the Fremantle BigFooty board has simply become a blog of Whiteoak´s thoughts, opinions and rantings. Every time I have had a look at the Board I see all the most recent posts are from Whiteoak and every thread dominated by his postings.

Over 5000 posts since Feb at over 50 per day!! How do you even find the time? Many disparaging of other posters opinions. I like to read other opinions, I don´t need to see pages and pages from a self proclaimed Internet Policeman, cracking a whip trying to keep everyone in line with his personal opinion.

Whiteoak (aka Proud Bogan), you live in one of the most amazing cities on this planet (if you are actually in Tokyo). I recommend the odd dinner at Shinjuku Monchertonton, best beef I have ever had in the universe. Maybe head out to Obaida for the day or Shinjuku Golden Gai for a few drinks. Take in the amazing countryside, stay at a Ryokan, have a hot spa, eat yourself silly, go for a trek.

On topic, if the price is right and Ross believes he can get something out of Watts, its definitely worth a shot. Watts has very good skills and vision for a big man and obviously tested as an elite athlete - I reckon he would be fired up to prove all the knockers at the Demons wrong. He has copped so much crap from their supporters, that is exactly the thing that could fire him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back