News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

What would you have thought of Darren ray whilst he was at the bulldogs, Ross turned him into a good role player, Lyon has done this countless times. Jason gram was another, zac dawson another...I'm not saying watts is a saviour, just that with our very thin kpp stocks and with Ross' ability to get the best out of players, watts would probably become a handy addition.

I think we are more likely to get productivity from jack watts in the shorter term, then we are say a howson or a taberner (note the more likely, I'm not saying either of those boys won't make it)

I think that makes your last sentence better.

I agree whole heartedly by the way.

I have said it a bunch of times now that West Coast got Morton for pick 88. Both drafted in similar positions and both the same amount of time in the system. We don't have much to lose in my book.

I think that makes your last sentence better.

I agree whole heartedly by the way.

I have said it a bunch of times now that West Coast got Morton for pick 88. Both drafted in similar positions and both the same amount of time in the system. We don't have much to lose in my book.

But why would we recruit a former #1 draft pick for depth. On exposed form he would not be picked against Brisbane if he was with us now and he would simply be a distraction - "Expensive Freo recruit languishing at Peel". He is not a Ross Lyon footballer and we would have to spend at least a season teaching him to be one. I'd rather develop Taberner on the cheap and without the media circus.

Maybe he'll become a good player, maybe he won't. He's only 22 years old.

If Melbourne shop him around, someone will pick him up. At the right price, what club wouldn't back themselves to develop an athletic 196cm KPF better than Melbourne?

I think I'm going to enjoy reading your work Enya

So it got me thinking, given what is going on with Essendon at the moment - what are the rules about performance enhancing drugs that are not physiologically enhancing, but psychologically enhancing? What if you gave Jack Watts drugs that changed him mentally?

Steve Jobs once remarked about Bill Gates that had he taken acid, the products he designed would have been far better. That a new perspective, afforded to him by psychedelic drugs, would have given him taste and the ability to discern between great products and utter crap.

So what happens if we trade for Jack Watts, then take him on a massive bender? Fear and Loathing in Fremantle, starring Jack Watts. He could become the player his physical attributes demands.

16281498.jpg

May require repeated doses right before games and some vials of clean urine stashed behind the toilets in the changerooms though.

It would be interesting to see how he'd end up if we just fed him barbells and repeat sprints for 6 months and played him for a year at Peel.

We could do something like the grow a potato or broad bean at school thing.

Apparently Watts is happy at the Demons (what a fool).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-22/i-want-to-stay-a-demon-watts
"Yeah I do want to stay. Definitely. It's a great group of blokes that I have spent the last five years with and obviously it's been tough. We're non-competitive and it has been frustrating.

"But I want to be there when things turn around and hopefully that's sooner rather than later," the 22-year-old said.

Apparently he said it in his press conference. In that case he couldn't really say anything else. Still any Melbourne player with sense would be delaying talks until the end of the year.

I watched a fair bit of him today, and I reckon it's hard to figure out what's going on in his head. The bloke just doesn't want to get into a contest. There were a couple of marking contests today where he he conceded the contest because he wasn't in the prime position and just didn't attempt to mark. Just went in with the fist to spoil, and on one occasion didn't even put his hands up to attempt a mark. There's always a question of going for the mark or going the spoil, but when you're a key forward and players kick the ball to you in the hope that you'll take a mark, I think you need to make a contest for the mark every time. Also his leads were towards the boundary line, so when he did get a shot at goal it was from a difficult angle and he missed the set shots.

If he is happy at Melbourne, and Melbourne are happy with him not being assertive enough or aggressive enough to make a contest every time a player kicks it in his direction then I think they are probably suited to one another. I don't think he'd last 5 minutes at another club, unless someone really got inside his head and made him want the contest. He seems to shirk the contest right now, and goes for the uncontested option as first instinct. It's not bagging him, it's just the defeatist sort of mindset he has fallen into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/watts-waits-for-call-on-new-coach-20130730-2qxel.html

Jack Watts will not decide whether to re-sign with Melbourne until the coaching position is settled.
Watts is out of contract at the end of the season and his management has told the club he will hold off discussions until the Demons have finalised the appointment of the senior coach, which chief executive Peter Jackson has indicated is likely to be an experienced coach.
Watts' manager, Paul Connors, confirmed Watts, the No.1 draft pick in 2008, would not make a decision until the Demons had installed a new coach.
''We're going to wait until there's a coach in place and let Jack concentrate on his football for the rest of the season until then,'' Connors said when asked about Watts' intentions for 2014 and beyond.

I would still like us to have a crack at him if we can get him for a decent price.

I put a lot of faith in the power of Lyon :)

I wish everyone would forget that Watts was picked at #1! That was a mistake people. He is not and has never played like a first round draft choice. At a normal football club he would have played reserves the past year and half. He doesn't solve any of our problems and even if he were committed to being a better player, it would take two seasons to get the piss weak Melbourne culture out of him.

Late 2nd rounder at most. He hasn't shown much yet. If we are going to trade our first pick (~15+), I'd hope we bundle it up with a player for an earlier pick (under 10) so we have a chance at a KPP. Watts may turn out decent, but it'd be a massive risk trading our first pick for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back