News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

willoblue has it in for Clancee more than you, or maybe you just haven't been posting as much lately. :p

I agree with E Shed's post re: Watts, except for the part about giving up Shero & our first. I'd offer one or the other, but not both.. Maybe a pick swap. I think with the ball coming in low and fast he'd look like a much better forward prospect that what he currently does. Yes, that's right folks - i've changed my tune on Jackie Watts.

heh, I have eased up on clancee significantly, I have also posted less lately.

I agree, its easy to forget that Watts, with all his flaws, is still playing in the most pathetic team in AFL history.... I mean that year, 2001 i think it was, where we only won 2 games... we lost 4-5 games by under 10 points, we were still competitive, this Melbourne team is lacking in every aspect to make a team competitive... from heart, to testicular fortitude, to confidence, to skill... they are missing it all.

Put Watts in a half decent system, and im sure he will come out and play some good footy... he may not be a star, but he would certainly be better than any other Key forward we have had in the past 10 years i reckon aside from Pav of course, and you could maybe throw Longmuir into that (BTW Mayne is not a KF IMO). I reckon he'd go better than Campbell, Murphy and Bradley anyway.

I reckon we could look at getting him for a pick in the mid 20's...... but our priority should be Aaron Black and Shane Kersten IMO

I think Jack Watts is worth a try.
Also like that 1/2 bird 1/2 human dude who takes species all the time, sorry can't think of his name.

Jeremy Howe, who unfortunately just re-signed... I wanted him too

What would Melbourne want for him?

More than likely way too much. This is my major concerns, especially after reading an article that says that when a first round draft pick is traded to another club, the club that gets him over pays.

Trent Croad 2 - Electric Boogaloo!

We are a two team town, if Jack Watts wants to play here then we can pick him up in the Pre-Season Draft.

Kurt Tippet had more currency than him.
These KPP have come on better (in my opinion);
Hurley, Phil Davis, Schoenmakers, Jackson Trengove, *cough* Zac Clarke
Daniel Talia, Jake Carlisle, Aaron Black, Sam Reid

I've been a bit unfair on Jack on some of those.

We are a two team town, if Jack Watts wants to play here then we can pick him up in the Pre-Season Draft.

Kurt Tippet had more currency than him.
These KPP have come on better (in my opinion);
Hurley, Phil Davis, Schoenmakers, Jackson Trengove, *cough* Zac Clarke
Daniel Talia, Jake Carlisle, Aaron Black, Sam Reid

I've been a bit unfair on Jack on some of those.

If Watts walks to us (so our only loss is salary - which matters little to us atm), you certainly couldn't say no to him - plenty to work with. If you had to trade for him - they'd want far too much and it would be poor value IMO.

Aaron Black is the one though - has attacking skills but also puts in on the chase / def structure, but we have to wait a year. Don't know enough about Kersten in that regard - possibility to debut this week.

Gumbleton looks totally devoid of confidence and conditioning - totally useless on deck or in chase / pressure acts. Would be a terrible fit for us.

Can you officially table an offer to a player during the season.
Watts will be a good get. I recon we will provide him the right environment to allow him to demonstrate his talents. = weights - a clear plan - a team that will work for each other - a coach

What @Eshed said is close I think, but the club has always said it will not trade it's first round pick, so maybe it would look something like Watts and Melbournes 2nd rounder for a player and our first? Their second pick will be pretty close to our first anyway.
KPR said in his post that Michie has no trade value, this I don't agree with. Melbourne are screaming out for his talent, even on one leg Michie is better than Melbournes current midfield. I would say one of Michie or Sheridan to go as part of this deal. With Neale's form and Simpson in the system, this doesn't concern me.
What maybe a bit left field though is DeBoar to go as he is the player most likely to go from our forward line to make way for Jack to come in. Just putting it out there.

Watts will be a good get. I recon we will provide him the right environment to allow him to demonstrate his talents. = weights - a clear plan - a team that will work for each other - a coach

No you can't. It's clearly stipulated in the rules. That's why the 'current club' of any given player is always in the box seat with players that are genuinely undecided (which I think is where Jack's at). They can make all the official offers they want. Other clubs can only have 'in principle' negotiations with players through their managers - and they can easily break down when push comes to shove.

On the rest, I'm coming around more and more on Watts. I think we'd be a great fit for him and he could serve us well if he rose to his potential under a winning system like ours. But there's A LOT of water to go under the bridge for him to get here. I think too much really and it wouldn't happen.

If Watts walks to us (so our only loss is salary - which matters little to us atm), you certainly couldn't say no to him - plenty to work with. If you had to trade for him - they'd want far too much and it would be poor value IMO.

Putting a high contract price on Watts head so he could get to us via the PSD would be a poor move in my opinion. His main issues are attitude related from reports, and he would be coming here where a lot of time has gone into developing a blue-collar work ethic, where you play a role and where you get down and dirty.

Putting a high contract price on Watts head so he could get to us via the PSD would be a poor move in my opinion. His main issues are attitude related from reports, and he would be coming here where a lot of time has gone into developing a blue-collar work ethic, where you play a role and where you get down and dirty.

Points taken. Watts' appeal to me is that he has the upside for us to fix the 'wrongs' that have impacted his development and results thus far. Other KF options I dont think we can 'improve' at all apart from the obvious of being in a gun team - bar Black who is good to go.

On record that Neeld gave up on him, JW responded negatively to that. Crowley and PearceC case studies as how Ross has empowered through positive belief - exactly what he needs. Ethic and effort can be learnt/motivated - you cant conjure talent. No doubting he has talent.

Lastly JW doesnt strike me as a Croad/Taz here on a lucrative holiday.

Dont mind paying salary overs for him.

Can't see him leaving Melbourne personally. They will pay him a decent enough wage to keep him happy, they will get a decent enough coach as well.

Oh and if he did leave, he isn't going through the PSD!!

What @Eshed said is close I think, but the club has always said it will not trade it's first round pick, so maybe it would look something like Watts and Melbournes 2nd rounder for a player and our first? Their second pick will be pretty close to our first anyway.
KPR said in his post that Michie has no trade value, this I don't agree with. Melbourne are screaming out for his talent, even on one leg Michie is better than Melbournes current midfield. I would say one of Michie or Sheridan to go as part of this deal. With Neale's form and Simpson in the system, this doesn't concern me.
What maybe a bit left field though is DeBoar to go as he is the player most likely to go from our forward line to make way for Jack to come in. Just putting it out there.

I fail to see how a guy who has played one game in 3 years, broken two navicular's and torn a miniscus will have any trade value whatsoever. They may pick him up if he went into the PSD, but no way would they offer anything for him, and if they did, then they would be stupid.

As for the deboer comment, I think he may be on a little bit of borrowed time, his hardness and tackling are tremendous, but he lacks polish, and a player like hayden crozier or even josh mellington could be ahead of him soon if they continue to develop. Its hard to quantify what he adds though, and id say that he would be a ross favourite, just with the way he goes about it, so maybe not. Id say a team like melbourne would love to add him to their list given the chance

Are you saying we have heavier weights than Melbourne? LOL......Actually, Fyfe has put on a lot of size very quickly....carry on.

I fail to see how a guy who has played one game in 3 years, broken two navicular's and torn a miniscus will have any trade value whatsoever. They may pick him up if he went into the PSD, but no way would they offer anything for him, and if they did, then they would be stupid.

As for the deboer comment, I think he may be on a little bit of borrowed time, his hardness and tackling are tremendous, but he lacks polish, and a player like hayden crozier or even josh mellington could be ahead of him soon if they continue to develop. Its hard to quantify what he adds though, and id say that he would be a ross favourite, just with the way he goes about it, so maybe not. Id say a team like melbourne would love to add him to their list given the chance
You're dreaming if you think we'd trade De Boer. Future (vice)/captain. Wouldn't surprise me if Mellington is up for trade at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at it this way, before Lyon players like Johnson, Ibbotson, Suban and others would all have been welcome trade bait and now they are regular 22 untradeable players.

Who knows? Jack could come very good under Lyon.

I used to be pretty anti-Ibbotson because I thought that whilst obviously talented, he was a complete squib. Lyon to his credit has thoroughly beaten the softness out of Ibbo so I think if anyone can do it it would be RTB.

I wouldn't mind parting with a first rounder for him (what pick 18 or thereabouts?) as the upside is enormous; he'd fill the position we're weakest in for a good 10 years.

He has talent to burn and has been in a toxic environment his entire career, I don't think it's too late to salvage his tanking, shit-bearded yellowbelly soul.

You're dreaming if you think we'd trade De Boer. Future (vice)/captain. Wouldn't surprise me if Mellington is up for trade at the end of the year.

I don't think De Boer has as much worth as you're suggesting, will quickly become a depth player when a more talented guy demands a spot in the side. I can see at least a few of Neale/Sheridan/Sutcliffe/Crozier/Morabito/Michie/Simpson overtaking his spot in the team in the next couple of seasons.

I love what he brings to the team, he's a strong mark, has a good tank with decent pace and is probably the best tackler in the side but he's a pretty limited footballer with not much scope for improvement IMO.

I don't think De Boer has as much worth as you're suggesting, will quickly become a depth player when a more talented guy demands a spot in the side. I can see at least a few of Neale/Sheridan/Sutcliffe/Crozier/Morabito/Michie/Simpson overtaking his spot in the team in the next couple of seasons.

I love what he brings to the team, he's a strong mark, has a good tank with decent pace and is probably the best tackler in the side but he's a pretty limited footballer with not much scope for improvement IMO.
He's a very underrated and under appreciated player here. If he's not already in the leadership group, he will be very quickly. Whenever Pav gets ask who the next captain is, he always mentions De Boer.

Not dreaming, just musing... im on night shift. I did qualify that comment by saying that it was probably unlikely. One thing is for sure though, if he had better finishing skills, he would be an elite AFL player.

He's a very underrated and under appreciated player here. If he's not already in the leadership group, he will be very quickly. Whenever Pav gets ask who the next captain is, he always mentions De Boer.

I like your defence of him, I do, we all have player who we love and others not so much. I would be absolutely staggered and slightly disappointed if Deboer was our next captain... that honour will go to Nat Fyfe I would think. Im a firm believer that your captain must be in your top 5 players... which is why I dont think Nick Maxwell is a great choice, Richard Vandenberg was the same, and Dom Cassisi also.

If pav were to give up the captaincy next year I would have the nominations in this order:
Fyfe
Barlow
Mundy
Crowley
Johnson (staggering given what his standing was a couple of years ago)

If pav were to give up the captaincy next year I would have the nominations in this order:
Fyfe
Barlow
Mundy
Crowley
Johnson (staggering given what his standing was a couple of years ago)

You're lack of Mayne is disturbing. Barlow is also suspect as he just seems a bit of a goofball, plus doesn't seem like a player to kick those captain goals. But this is best saved for the other thread.

Watts actually reminds me a lot of MJ, particularly when he plays down back. Both are a bit laconical and look like they are coasting, both are good in traffic, both have very good skills.

You're lack of Mayne is disturbing. Barlow is also suspect as he just seems a bit of a goofball, plus doesn't seem like a player to kick those captain goals. But this is best saved for the other thread.

I must admit, I did forget about mayne, who I would replace Johnson with.

Barlow talks well to the media, plays well week in week out and in my opinion wouldnt need to kick the 50 meter "captains goals"... because he inspires at the coal face of the stoppages with his ball winning, courage and tackling... but thats just my opinion

If Michie is as awesome as everyone seems to think, maybe he can replace Mundy and we put Mundy on the trade table? Get some value from him before he becomes a free agent?

I'm not advocating this move BTW just putting it out there - anyone is tradeable for the right price.

If Michie is as awesome as everyone seems to think, maybe he can replace Mundy and we put Mundy on the trade table? Get some value from him before he becomes a free agent?

I'm not advocating this move BTW just putting it out there - anyone is tradeable for the right price.

Mundy just had a kid so I don't think he'll be going anywhere, free agent or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back