List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched Adrian Cole closely in his championships game last weekend.. He is a spoiler type defender ala Howard and similiarly doesnt have a lot of tricks in his bag apart from his height and decent speed. Thats not to suggest he cant develop and isnt worthy of a rookie spot, if that type is a list need. However it is obvious intercepting tall defenders are the way of the future.

Lennox Hoffman played the game prior and did some nice things, but was dropped for last weekends game.

Howard not really a "spoiler type" he is behind Wilkie and Battle for intercept marks , but not far behind.
Similarly with ordinary marks and contested marks.

Of course a defender needs to judge when to spoil and when to "try" to mark.

Howard not really a "spoiler type" he is behind Wilkie and Battle for intercept marks , but not far behind.
Similarly with ordinary marks and contested marks.

Of course a defender needs to judge when to spoil and when to "try" to mark.

Go and have a look at his Coates League stats he plays on the 2nd or 3rd tall and hardly marks the ball. Have averages 8 disposals and 2 marks a game its hardly note worthy. He might make it, but at this stage I wouldnt be matching any bids in the draft if there are other rated kids still available. Just because he is a free hit as an NGA doesnt make him a better player. I think there will be a chance he will slip through the draft without a bid and we can then look at him as a rookie.

Linder on the other hand is a ball magnet and provides real drive out of defence, not at the same level but similiarlar to Sinclair. I think if he was playing anywhere but at Sandringham he would have made the state side. Sandringham had so many players representing them they couldnt pick everyone and Oliver was in front of him.

The Howard likeness was just to point out Coles lack of footballing nous, he is tall but very limited.

Last edited:
We do probably have the best zone because we have so many private schools in our area. I reckon this will be really good for us

It kind of crap, and open to corruption.
We got Peris, who relocated from NT and lived bayside while attending Melbourne Grammar.
But Sanders , who boarded at Melbourne Grammar ( in the Saints Zone) and played for Sandringham, was deemed to be Tasmanian and eligible ( Despite north seemingly not having had anything to do with him ) for North's academy. ( Note: he was not selected as an NGA player because he was too early in the draft ).

If a talented footy player wanted to attend school in one of the Private Schools, any club could try to tempt him to live and play footy in their zone, and then they could still arbitrarily zone him in the place he used to live.

Absolutely stupid, vague, illogical system, that only the AFL could be stupid enough to create.

Go and have a look at his Coates League stats he plays on the 3rd tall and hardly marks the ball. He might make it, but at this stage I wouldnt be matching any bids in the draft if there are other rated kids still available. Just because he is a free hit as an NGA doesnt make him a better player. I think he will be a chance he will get through the draft without a bid and we can then look at him as a rookie.

The Howard likeness was just to point out Coles lack of footballing nous, he is tall but very limited.

I wasn't disagreeing about Cole, i was disagreeing about Howard. If Howard is dour, its because he's been told to play that way.

I wasn't disagreeing about Cole, i was disagreeing about Howard. If Howard is dour, its because he's been told to play that way.

Im sorry but I disagree, if Howard was capable he would be strongly encouraged to go for more intercept marks. You only have to see how often he gets out bodied in contests to see that he is no chance of marking it. He is coached to play within his limitations nothing more.

Im sorry but I disagree, if Howard was capable he would be strongly encouraged to go for more intercept marks. You only have to see how often he gets out bodied in contests to see that he is no chance of marking it. He is coached to play within his limitations nothing more.
howard has taken plenty of intercept marks over the last few weeks since coming back

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It kind of crap, and open to corruption.
We got Peris, who relocated from NT and lived bayside while attending Melbourne Grammar.
But Sanders , who boarded at Melbourne Grammar ( in the Saints Zone) and played for Sandringham, was deemed to be Tasmanian and eligible ( Despite north seemingly not having had anything to do with him ) for North's academy. ( Note: he was not selected as an NGA player because he was too early in the draft ).

If a talented footy player wanted to attend school in one of the Private Schools, any club could try to tempt him to live and play footy in their zone, and then they could still arbitrarily zone him in the place he used to live.

Absolutely stupid, vague, illogical system, that only the AFL could be stupid enough to create.
As long at least one parent is from a 'non traditional' or indigenous background.

As long at least one parent is from a 'non traditional' or indigenous background.

Realise that.
But why was Peris "StKilda" when he moved to the StKilda zone to attend Melbourne Grammar.
But Sanders was judeged " North, when he moved to the StKilda zone to attend Melbourne Grammar?

Realise that.
But why was Peris "StKilda" when he moved to the StKilda zone to attend Melbourne Grammar.
But Sanders was judeged " North, when he moved to the StKilda zone to attend Melbourne Grammar?
Maybe north put him on their NGA list.

I don't don't know, but is NGA's not on zones but just the type of person, non playing non traditional person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go and have a look at his Coates League stats he plays on the 2nd or 3rd tall and hardly marks the ball. Have averages 8 disposals and 2 marks a game its hardly note worthy. He might make it, but at this stage I wouldnt be matching any bids in the draft if there are other rated kids still available. Just because he is a free hit as an NGA doesnt make him a better player. I think there will be a chance he will slip through the draft without a bid and we can then look at him as a rookie.

Linder on the other hand is a ball magnet and provides real drive out of defence, not at the same level but similiarlar to Sinclair. I think if he was playing anywhere but at Sandringham he would have made the state side. Sandringham had so many players representing them they couldnt pick everyone and Oliver was in front of him.

So a 196cm 17-year-old who projects to go outside the top 30 that is not the finished product?

DO NOT WANT

Realise that.
I suppose the question should be whether Peris was living in our zone & then got the scholarship.

From what I understand, Sanders was in Nth's NGA zone in Tassie & they tried to add him late as they had either missed him (didn't realise he had a parent from an 'NGA' background) or the parents didn't sign him on.

I recall the same thing happening with another kid... his parents didn't sign him up & the club he was zoned to couldn't access him.

Cole listed in the "Next 10" by Twomey today. So rated top forty. Could be a handy freebie.

Navigating the draft this year will depend on what the AFL changes make to the points and bidding rules (academy players) before the draft. At present we hold picks # 4, 25 (2nd round), 45 (3rd round) & 78 (5th round) and understanding that this years draft the talent depth is reportedly really deep.

Kennear Beaston said on Gettable given the depth of this draft, clubs will be looking to use next years picks to trade for picks in this year. He said he did his top 50 for the combination nominees and suggested there was another 50 names that could have made the list. This is why it is so important your recruiting team can assess each years draft group strengths and manage the draft picks and lists accordingly. Not every draft is equal and there are huge gains to be made by getting their projections correct. Smarter clubs will go into this draft holding 5 or 6 picks.

If Cole is bid on at #35 as example the club are going to have some tough decisions to make. If we can still use the points from picks #45 & 78 it would be reasonable and worth matching. I then hope the club can find another later pick to use. I dont know what Twomey's angle is but I hope we dont fall for trap of matching a bid for Cole too early. We should be looking at players who could potentially become elite in their positions. Cole IMO has none of those traits apart from being a good stopper, he is not an intercept marker and provides zero attacking drive from behind. He is a developing kid, but at present he looks more limited than Dougal Howard. He just doesnt show those instinctive footballing smarts we should be looking for in any positional player.

Last edited:
I suppose the question should be whether Peris was living in our zone & then got the scholarship.

From what I understand, Sanders was in Nth's NGA zone in Tassie & they tried to add him late as they had either missed him (didn't realise he had a parent from an 'NGA' background) or the parents didn't sign him on.

I recall the same thing happening with another kid... his parents didn't sign him up & the club he was zoned to couldn't access him.

I seriously think that for a kid to be an "Academy" selection , then the club involved should have had at least something to do with their football training.
I mean, "Academy" isn't just a word like "Cool, or Acme" it actually has a meaning. Or is the AFL Academy like the "Ponds Academy".

I seriously think that for a kid to be an "Academy" selection , then the club involved should have had at least something to do with their football training.
I mean, "Academy" isn't just a word like "Cool, or Acme" it actually has a meaning. Or is the AFL Academy like the "Ponds Academy".
I think most of them are (all of our NGA kids have spent plenty of time training at Linton St).

I don't believe that Sanders ever set foot in Arden St

So a 196cm 17-year-old who projects to go outside the top 30 that is not the finished product?

DO NOT WANT

Why do you take the most ruinous approach to any of my posts?

I didnt say we shouldnt take him, its when we take him that was the discussion. This draft is ridiculously deep and there are numerous other players who should be rated higher than the expected bid on Cole. I believe it will come down to our list needs and whether the club see taking him over others is a priority. If the rules change that make matching a bid more difficult it might be in the clubs interest to pass?

Some people seem to forget the NGA bidding and points system is likely to change prior to the draft. Just because he is a NGA player this year might not necessarily mean they remain a free hit. Under previous rules if he was bid on at #35 we could match with late pick points which would be great, but I dont know if that capacity will remain. I rate him as a late draft or rookie pick, the club might rate him higher who knows. If we expect him to be bid on at around #35 I hope the club can get another pick between #25 to #35. Then if we grab him at #35 and can still use the later points that would be fantastic.

Last edited:
Why do you take the most ruinous approach to any of my posts?
Maybe its your style of posting on this and the draft thread. You sound arrogant and pompous with your dismissal of anybody else's opinion.

You blithely and offensively stated that a poster basically only relies on others opinion, then in this thread you rely only on stats and Beatson.

Maybe others would not post about you opinion so facetiously if you had minimum respect for opinions other than your own which you seem to hold in very high regard.

Personally I couldn't care less as opinions are like arseholes and yours are pretty good (opinions that is) but not worth any more or less than others that follow the u18's closely. It is probably worth more than mine, but not by much, we are talking about underdeveloped 18 y.o's, it not the NFL who draft 23+ y.o's who are fully developed.
Maybe dial back the thought that yours is the only opinion that matters maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back