List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw somewhere on Twitter that Cole will play for Sandy VFL this weekend.

Separately, who on earth are we picking from Sandy this year? Make up an imaginary name and hope no one notices? Barren.
This has got to be the worst year for us to commit to a Sandy player. Plenty of good players will still be available 40+ and rookie draft, and Sandy is absolutely bereft of potential AFL talent.

Hopefully players will start filtering to Sandy in the hopes of making an AFL list over the next few years, which is presumably why we made this commitment. But right now, it looks like a daft call

This has got to be the worst year for us to commit to a Sandy player. Plenty of good players will still be available 40+ and rookie draft, and Sandy is absolutely bereft of potential AFL talent.

Hopefully players will start filtering to Sandy in the hopes of making an AFL list over the next few years, which is presumably why we made this commitment. But right now, it looks like a daft call
Wonder what the conditions are. There have been a couple of guys being brought in for a game or two and that’s it. The latest is the big ruckman from Parkdale. Do they need to actually be listed? Vesely is about the only one with even a glimpse of AFL traits, but that’s not really floating my boat.

Saw somewhere on Twitter that Cole will play for Sandy VFL this weekend.

Separately, who on earth are we picking from Sandy this year? Make up an imaginary name and hope no one notices? Barren.

He'a worth a gamble, if he plays well his stocks will rise and if he fails he could slide. Plus he could then be included as a Zebras player as part of the agreement.

Wonder what the conditions are. There have been a couple of guys being brought in for a game or two and that’s it. The latest is the big ruckman from Parkdale. Do they need to actually be listed? Vesely is about the only one with even a glimpse of AFL traits, but that’s not really floating my boat.

Can we get Sam Lalor in for a game?

Seriously, even if we draft someone ordinary it promotes the scheme.

"How the hell did XXX get drafted, he's hopeless, i'm way better"
" He played for Sandy, they draft a rookie from there each year"
"Where do i sign"?

So a 196cm 17-year-old who projects to go outside the top 30 that is not the finished product?

DO NOT WANT

So give up pick 4 for him then? Do contribute anything other than making smart arse comments about other people's opinions?

Hall-Kahan looks quite nice at times but just doesn't get near it enough often enough.

I think Darby Hipwell is our highest ranked VFL player and he shows a bit in patches.

So give up pick 4 for him then? Do contribute anything other than making smart arse comments about other people's opinions?
I think it's fair enough. W2L makes plenty of positive contributions, and we all have the right to take the piss out of each other, surely? A little bit of an emotive response from you

Why do you take the most ruinous approach to any of my posts?

I didnt say we shouldnt take him, its when we take him that was the discussion. This draft is ridiculously deep and there are numerous other players who should be rated higher than the expected bid on Cole. I believe it will come down to our list needs and whether the club see taking him over others is a priority. If the rules change that make matching a bid more difficult it might be in the clubs interest to pass?

Some people seem to forget the NGA bidding and points system is likely to change prior to the draft. Just because he is a NGA player this year might not necessarily mean they remain a free hit. Under previous rules if he was bid on at #35 we could match with late pick points which would be great, but I dont know if that capacity will remain. I rate him as a late draft or rookie pick, the club might rate him higher who knows. If we expect him to be bid on at around #35 I hope the club can get another pick between #25 to #35. Then if we grab him at #35 and can still use the later points that would be fantastic.
It was actually pick 40 in recent drafts that you could only match after for NGAs .... and they talking about walking it back to the previous level wh8ch was pick 20 which favors us .... dismiss a pure lockdown defender at your own peril ..... not every player needs to get it 10 times to have a positive effect

I seriously think that for a kid to be an "Academy" selection , then the club involved should have had at least something to do with their football training.
I mean, "Academy" isn't just a word like "Cool, or Acme" it actually has a meaning. Or is the AFL Academy like the "Ponds Academy".
I think most of them are (all of our NGA kids have spent plenty of time training at Linton St).

I don't believe that Sanders ever set foot in Arden St
IN case anyone was wondering, our Academy does weekly sessions plus most get the opportunity to train with the senior team in the preseason/school holiday and access to medical staff/recovery facilities. When Cole gets drafted, we will have played a legitimate role in his development unlike some academy players from other clubs.

Here are a couple of articles from last year talking to this years prospects about their involvement.

It was actually pick 40 in recent drafts that you could only match after for NGAs .... and they talking about walking it back to the previous level wh8ch was pick 20 which favors us .... dismiss a pure lockdown defender at your own peril ..... not every player needs to get it 10 times to have a positive effect

Again no ones dismissing him, I just feel there are many other players we should be considering before him. We all know pick 40 was the mark, but now it looks like it will be open slather again and possibly no points assigned to picks after 40. So I dont know how they expect clubs to match bids late in the 2nd round?

It seems St Kilda supporters lose their objectivity when we start discussing NGA's. List positions are like gold and if our recruiting team have the opportunity to pick another kid they think is better than Cole, do you think they should take him because he is an academy player. Thats not dismissing Cole, Hoffman, Linder or Peckett its just rating ALL the kids available. Its great we have these kids coming through the academy, but it doesnt mean we have ignore other talent surely.

As an example if our club rates Cole at #50 in the draft and Cole gets bid on at pick #24 do we match the bid and lose our 2nd round pick #25, I wouldnt think so. Having said that if he we can use later picks/points to get him between #35-40 then he may be a decent pick up. Is he a player I would target in an open draft (not being an NGA) absolutely not, because I feel he is far to limited to have an influence as a modern day defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think it is interesting that another club rates Cole at pick 24 .... and why would that be??

Maybe we can use our later picks to get him at 24 and still keep 25 .... I am guessing that maybe possible given plenty of other clubs seem to able to manage this type of scenario

Also not all modern day defenders need to get the ball 15 times .... lockdown defenders are still hugely valuable in today's modern game

On given evidence Cole is a walk up start to the Vic Metro team .... seems to be rated by many ... Vic Metro won the U18 title

Lastly you are not a list manager at St Kilda ..... as are any of us ..... so you and I don't have a choice what we do

Again no ones dismissing him, I just feel there are many other players we should be considering before him. We all know pick 40 was the mark, but now it looks like it will be open slather again and possibly no points assigned to picks after 40. So I dont know how they expect clubs to match bids late in the 2nd round?

It seems St Kilda supporters lose their objectivity when we start discussing NGA's. List positions are like gold and if our recruiting team have the opportunity to pick another kid they think is better than Cole, do you think they should take him because he is an academy player. Thats not dismissing Cole, Hoffman, Linder or Peckett its just rating ALL the kids available. Its great we have these kids coming through the academy, but it doesnt mean we have ignore other talent surely.

As an example if our club rates Cole at #50 in the draft and Cole gets bid on at pick #24 do we match the bid and lose our 2nd round pick #25, I wouldnt think so. Having said that if he we can use later picks/points to get him between #35-40 then he may be a decent pick up. Is he a player I would target in an open draft (not being an NGA) absolutely not, because I feel he is far to limited to have an influence as a modern day defender.

If he's clearly not worth pick 24 , other teams won't bid there.
Not unless Trout gets another job in recruiting.
If they do , we should pass and they get stuck with him.

My opinion is that most clubs bid a bit later than that player would go in an open draft and i'm sure there will still be a discount.

I would think it is interesting that another club rates Cole at pick 24 .... and why would that be??

Maybe we can use our later picks to get him at 24 and still keep 25 .... I am guessing that maybe possible given plenty of other clubs seem to able to manage this type of scenario

Also not all modern day defenders need to get the ball 15 times .... lockdown defenders are still hugely valuable in today's modern game

On given evidence Cole is a walk up start to the Vic Metro team .... seems to be rated by many ... Vic Metro won the U18 title

Lastly you are not a list manager at St Kilda ..... as are any of us ..... so you and I don't have a choice what we do

Absolute rubbish go back through the past 15 years grand final winners and tell me which club didnt have attacking tall defenders eg Moore, Howe, May, Lever, Petty, Rance, Balta, De Koning, Henry, Stewart, Barass, McGovern, Hmling, Morris, Boyd and it goes on. There is one simple trait all these defensive players have, is the ability to mark the ball and beat their opponents in marking contests. If you cant do that you will struggle in the current game.

Maybe its your style of posting on this and the draft thread. You sound arrogant and pompous with your dismissal of anybody else's opinion.

You blithely and offensively stated that a poster basically only relies on others opinion, then in this thread you rely only on stats and Beatson.

Maybe others would not post about you opinion so facetiously if you had minimum respect for opinions other than your own which you seem to hold in very high regard.

Personally I couldn't care less as opinions are like arseholes and yours are pretty good (opinions that is) but not worth any more or less than others that follow the u18's closely. It is probably worth more than mine, but not by much, we are talking about underdeveloped 18 y.o's, it not the NFL who draft 23+ y.o's who are fully developed.
Maybe dial back the thought that yours is the only opinion that matters maybe.

Pretty much sums up my feelings too.

No one on here is a draft expert & it gets up my nose when people act like they are.

And I’m still waiting on SteeleSaints to explain how Ross sacked Geoff Walsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's fair enough. W2L makes plenty of positive contributions, and we all have the right to take the piss out of each other, surely? A little bit of an emotive response from you

He's always potting posts and not with any humour. If he disagrees he goes the man.

Maybe its your style of posting on this and the draft thread. You sound arrogant and pompous with your dismissal of anybody else's opinion.

You blithely and offensively stated that a poster basically only relies on others opinion, then in this thread you rely only on stats and Beatson.

Maybe others would not post about you opinion so facetiously if you had minimum respect for opinions other than your own which you seem to hold in very high regard.

Personally I couldn't care less as opinions are like arseholes and yours are pretty good (opinions that is) but not worth any more or less than others that follow the u18's closely. It is probably worth more than mine, but not by much, we are talking about underdeveloped 18 y.o's, it not the NFL who draft 23+ y.o's who are fully developed.
Maybe dial back the thought that yours is the only opinion that matters maybe.

You and W2L do too. Maybe you don't like competition? If being a dickhead needed pulling up constantly this place would shut down. Most of us come across that way.

I'd certainly take him because at a discount you might as well take a punt. He's not one that you'd get super excited about but it's like grabbing another Van Es type. Get them in and develop them and hope.

I'd certainly take him because at a discount you might as well take a punt. He's not one that you'd get super excited about but it's like grabbing another Van Es type. Get them in and develop them and hope.
With his size you may as well. Who knows he might even end up a forward which also wouldn't go astray.

I think Darby Hipwell is our highest ranked VFL player and he shows a bit in patches.

He's won the best and fairest. Sandy Kid. Has been trying to become more versatile ( inside mid ).
His ratings here seem to be improving year by year.

His disposal efficiency seems very good for a mid.
( advanced stats ).

Would probably be a popular decision and no-one that seems an obvious better choice.

Is he slow or something?

He's won the best and fairest. Sandy Kid. Has been trying to become more versatile ( inside mid ).
His ratings here seem to be improving year by year.

His disposal efficiency seems very good for a mid.
( advanced stats ).

Would probably be a popular decision and no-one that seems an obvious better choice.

Is he slow or something?

Nah he's got decent speed, he's just really small for an inside mid. Could be a winger but eh there's certainly better kids in the open pool you'd take over him

I wouldn't be surprised if we took Will Vesely as a project tall, he seems like he has some potential at 193cm

Nah he's got decent speed, he's just really small for an inside mid. Could be a winger but eh there's certainly better kids in the open pool you'd take over him

I wouldn't be surprised if we took Will Vesely as a project tall, he seems like he has some potential at 193cm

Hipwell is a couple of cm taller than Zach Merrett.

Absolute rubbish go back through the past 15 years grand final winners and tell me which club didnt have attacking tall defenders eg Moore, Howe, May, Lever, Petty, Rance, Balta, De Koning, Henry, Stewart, Barass, McGovern, Hmling, Morris, Boyd and it goes on. There is one simple trait all these defensive players have, is the ability to mark the ball and beat their opponents in marking contests. If you cant do that you will struggle in the current game.
Absolute rubbish???

Of course previous GF winners had key rebound defenders but they also had key lockdown defenders as well

Stats below from GF Winners in GFs

2023 - Moore - 7 disposals
2022 - Henry - 10 disposals / Bews - 6 disposals
2021 - Petty - 6 disposals /
2020 - Grimes - 4 disposals / Astbury -7 disposals
2018 - West Coast had Will Schofield - he got 9 disposals ...averaged 8 all year

Hamling got 9 disposals in the 2016 GF ... 7 in the PF

You want to cherry pick ...well I can cherry pick as well

All great teams have prime lockdown defenders who don't accumulate ... big or small in size .... some can play on both big & small opponents ... they also have attacking defenders

Put another 10 kilo on the 6ft 5 Cole and he could be a beast at CHB / FB .... and I believe his athleticism can be further developed to enhance and add rebound aspects to his game

I guess we will find out soon enough as he is bound to get drafted either by us or another team

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back