Game day thread V Geelong (May contain spoilers)

Remove this Banner Ad

I could accept that if we were playing in Melb. But we were at home. Should have scored more goals

We were having everything thrown at us by one of the best teams in recent history. Hell, Sydney got back in the game in the 2006 GF but West Coast hung on for the win, would you have called that "average"?

We were having everything thrown at us by one of the best teams in recent history. Hell, Sydney got back in the game in the 2006 GF but West Coast hung on for the win, would you have called that "average"?

Yes in 2006 we had the chance to beat the Swans by 10 goals.

i think lots of teams would've wilted under geelong's immense pressure. i daresay the eagles earlier this year would've wilted.

that alone shows me we've improved a heap.

our next step is to actually reply to that pressure by attacking and taking the game back. we held well, but the fact we didn't score still kept them in the game.

im still impressed by our defensive work, we're good at closing the game down. a vital tool come finals time.

Great win by the eagles, the crowd was fantastic at the game, loved it :thumbsu::D

Keep in mind kids, we were last last year. The fact we took it up to the Cats should be enough, let alone beating them.

Do you agree, Mark?

download1.png

Do you really think we could have beaten the Cats by that much tonight?

We should be stoked with the win, considering Geelong got to within 10 points halfway through the third quarter.

I'm super stoked with the win. I tipped us and have us in a multi with Hawks 40+ us 1-39.

I loved our game tonight. I just thought 3 second half goals is not a good second half. We continue to play pathetic last quarters.
Until we learn to play 4 qtr games we will not go far.

11 goal first half and a 3 goal second half.

We were at home. It got ugly for us.

We were average that is a fact.

So we were average yet we still beat a Geelong side which according to you played BETTER than us... JEEZ how good do you think we are?!?!?! :eek:

i think lots of teams would've wilted under geelong's immense pressure. i daresay the eagles earlier this year would've wilted.

that alone shows me we've improved a heap.

our next step is to actually reply to that pressure by attacking and taking the game back. we held well, but the fact we didn't score still kept them in the game.

im still impressed by our defensive work, we're good at closing the game down. a vital tool come finals time.

This.

We are becoming good at absorbing pressure when the opposition is on top and not letting damage occur on the scoreboard. Earlier in the season we would undoubtedly have lost this game by conceding cheap goals under pressure.

Our game plan is made for high pressure finals football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

half hour after we beat the top team you reckon we have to play better to beat the saints.... can we enjoy the win first FFS...

Already have the "changes for the saints game thread going" so is it to late to talk about our next game?

So we were average yet we still beat a Geelong side which according to you played BETTER than us... JEEZ how good do you think we are?!?!?! :eek:

Our second half was average. Ummm I never said Geelong were the better team.

I'm super stoked with the win. I tipped us and have us in a multi with Hawks 40+ us 1-39.

I loved our game tonight. I just thought 3 second half goals is not a good second half. We continue to play pathetic last quarters.

I agree, but our performance in the second half wasn't that bad, it was more that Geelong stepped up and put massive pressure on us.

I actually think that explains most of our "poor" third quarters this year- the other team is usually behind and comes out breathing fire after half time.

WTF is wrong with our 'professional' footy players after half time. It happened again! Went to sleep, the opposition kicked a bag of goals on us before we could steady. We would be shredding teams if we didn't let them back in after half time! :confused: Got me ****ed how we go to sleep.

Great win. Jeez, top 4 is fairy land isn't it! :):D

Already have the "changes for the saints game thread going" so is it to late to talk about our next game?

quote]
please yourself bro but at the moment i couldnt give a **** about next week, its still friday night the saints havnt even played yet so why would i waste my time thinking about next week...

eagles just won **** everything else....

We tire out by the last quarter, its that simple. We play a physically very demanding style of play, particularly our big men.

Naitanui and Darling are spent by the time the last quarter comes - that will improve with more preseasons into them.

Kennedy then has to work harder and gets knackered himself - that is why his output often decreases as the game progresses.

The amount of chasing and harassing those three do up forward in the press should not be understated - their mobility is the reason why it works.

Not having Lynch really hurt us as we were not able to rotate them as oftenly as we have been in recent weeks.

The result was they tired badly in the second half and the press began to open up, causing the team to become exposed on the counter attack which Geelong is so good at.

despite your best efforts, you can't kill my buzz, pantskyle, his armor is impenetrable!

Almost disappointed with the way we won tonight. Halfway through the second quarter I almost felt sorry for the cats as we had complete and utter control of the contest.

Credit to Geelong, they changed a few things and managed to stem what seemed like an abundance of free players working back to help out the defence. It was pleasing however that our defense still battled manfully and Geelong really had to fight for their goals.

All in all can't complain with a win against the top side, yet another suprise in what has been an awesome season so far! :)

p.s If nic nat could learn how to kick he would be the best player in the comp tomorrow!

How fricken incredibly awesome were:

- Embley's banana to keep us alive
- Nicoski's checkside banana from the boundary (after missing from 15m in front)
- Shuey's two goals - he slotted those with the consummate ease of a champion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back