Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about the different prospects the more I think we should try & get Pickett. We need the outside run more & explosiveness!

I just don't know if he'll be able to accumulate... If he get's a 20 possession game with his run, then he'll do enough damage. Looks like a slightly talented version of a Varcoe, it looks like this guy can take a speccy. He could easily slot into a forward pocket in year 1, with small stints on the wing.

I just don't know if he'll be able to accumulate... If he get's a 20 possession game with his run, then he'll do enough damage. Looks like a slightly talented version of a Varcoe, it looks like this guy can take a speccy. He could easily slot into a forward pocket in year 1, with small stints on the wing.

From what I have seen he is devastating when he gets to full speed , this doesn't take him long but evasion at high speed is very , very special - they can't get near him. He does go missing though , consistency defenitely needs work
To date he looks awesome running with the footy - not sure about his evasive skills in a pocket / close to bounday and ability to turn his man around in close is though.

The trading up to 10 makes it pretty obvious we are gunning for Goddard or Pickett.

Neither player will last to 14, but one might last until 10.

Goddard would fill the Key Defender role we are looking to fill in coming seasons. Pickett would fill the outside, skilled and pacey mid role we have lost in Christensen and Varcoe.

Would be happy with either.

EDIT: very happy with the clubs decision to trade up a few picks, and more or less happy with their pro-active (albeit risky) response to Christensen leaving with the trading in of Stanley. Disappointed to lose Varcoe, but like the 'dice-roll' on Clark. Live by the sword, I say.

Last edited:
The trading up to 10 makes it pretty obvious we are gunning for Goddard or Pickett.

Neither player will last to 14, but one might last until 10.

Goddard would fill the Key Defender role we are looking to fill in coming seasons. Pickett would fill the outside, skilled and pacey mid role we have lost in Christensen and Varcoe.

Would be happy with either.

EDIT: very happy with the clubs decision to trade up a few picks, and more or less happy with their pro-active (albeit risky) response to Christensen leaving with the trading in of Stanley. Disappointed to lose Varcoe, but like the 'dice-roll' on Clark. Live by the sword, I say.

Im glad its obvious to you. Personally I think Goddard could easily have been there at 14 , and still may. If you said Durdin...then maybe

But to go for a 197 guy after this trade period...... He would be my pick as a tall.

Balme indicated that the draft was going to be for recruiting mids, I believe they will go a top line midfielder with their top pick. Outside pace will be a factor in the selection to replace line-breaking we lost from Varcoe and Bundy.

I think it would be stupid not to rotate Walker, Blicavs & Toohey through the defence in the VFL to see if we can procure another tall defender. We just have far too many players over 196cm that can't all fit in the forward line.

Laverde or Weller for me. Weller moves a bit like Simon Black. Laverde looks ready to go. I think it would be great if we could get our no10 to play straight up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I agree. Both look good. I like Pickett from the vids but he worries me a bit that he goes missing. Honestly, I don't want a Cyril. I want a ball pig who knows how to use it. We need someone who can win the ball.

Goddards kicking looks terrible to me. Has a funky drop and kicks a lot of floaters.

Yeah, I agree. Both look good. I like Pickett from the vids but he worries me a bit that he goes missing. Honestly, I don't want a Cyril. I want a ball pig who knows how to use it. We need someone who can win the ball.

Goddards kicking looks terrible to me. Has a funky drop and kicks a lot of floaters.
hope this link works. Cracking mark.

I hope we DON'T go Pickett.
I don't think we need another slightly built inconsistent outside runner.
We NEED grunt and clearance winners (Weller IMO) or highly rated tall backs (Goddard?).
Agreed.

What did you think of Goddard's kicking? I thought it looked horrid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I have seen he is devastating when he gets to full speed , this doesn't take him long but evasion at high speed is very , very special - they can't get near him. He does go missing though , consistency defenitely needs work
To date he looks awesome running with the footy - not sure about his evasive skills in a pocket / close to bounday and ability to turn his man around in close is though.
The bolded bit is my main concern (albeit from very limited viewing).

I didn't watch that Allies game - but I rate Steele and Weller from the footage of them. If Cockatoo is up there with those two, then I'd be happy with him also.

Someone compared Cockatoo to a Gary Rohan, no thanks if that's true!

However, looking at that clearance and goal - looks pretty impressive! Who needs Dangerfield!

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights of Caleb Daniel I wonder how late he will get picked up. He can play but who will take the punt on his size

Should have offered us a better trade then for Varcoe.

laughing-baby.gif

Knightmare's latest phantom draft has the Cats picking Sam Durdin (197cm) with Pick 10. Interestingly Durdin is a Ruck/CHB prospect, and behind Lever, Durdin's probably the second best key defender this draft.

Pickett to the Eagles at pick 11.

Duggan to the Tigers at pick 12.

Goddard to Fremantle at pick 13.

Marchbank to Crows at pick 14.

Langford to GCFC at pick 15.

Cockatoo to NM with pick 16.

Interestingly, J Nelson to Cats with pick 47 (might be a stretch if he's still there).

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1060197/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back