Review Geelong Bombs the Dons by 66 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Afl app > stats tab > search by player > click watch

If you click "extended" at the top when it starts playing it will show you every time he got a stat.

It has all players, every game, last couple of years

I had no idea about that feature, that's brilliant!

Can the absolute footy nuffies (you know who you are) who have been trashing Parfit shut up for at least a month now. Just keep the traps shut for a while unless you have some legitimate evidence (and that means more than just quoting numbers) and stop embarrassing yourself with you trashing of BP. It's worrying the lack of footy knowledge it shows. Anyway rant over and haters stay away at least for a little while on this guy please because he making you look stupid!
While I am unabashedly a Parfitt fan, let's not read too much in a player's ability to dominate one of the weakest midfields in the competition.

Incredible first up performance. Too much to like to even mention it all.

Danger when fully fit is just an absolute beast still. People have forgotten just how good he can be. Explosive first half.

Parfitt fantastic. We need that sort of consistency from him now. If he can maintain that type of form, it’ll be massive for us.

Hawkins is unstoppable. Was at the game with a mate and his dad. The dad scoffed pre-game when I mentioned that Hawkins is the best forward in the league... I made sure I rammed the point home every time Tom did something great! Lol

Stengle! Gee we’re lucky I reckon. If he stays on track, he adds so much.

Dahlhouse, like everybody has said, much better than expected. Perhaps he’s gotten the body right and is still serviceable!?

Higgins absolutely stinks still. I can’t stand him. Once Duncan/Menegola are fit, surely he’s well outside the 22....
He absolutely is, Hawkins. And just keeps getting better. Good on ya for emphasising the point!

While I am unabashedly a Parfitt fan, let's not read too much in a player's ability to dominate one of the weakest midfields in the competition.
I thought he was solid but he can still work on using the ball better by foot from the clearance. Can certainly hold his own, but we've known that for a while. No need to get carried away with 30+ possessions. I mean Merrett and Parish had those sort of numbers too without really hurting us.

That's not how the Essendon midfield was being assessed on here before the match.
Before the game:
  • Geelong is too old & won't play the kids
  • Essendon has a younger, more exciting looking team
  • Essendon has speed through the middle and will cut up Geelong as they don't have anyone to match the footspeed
  • Add more pro Essendon and Geelong is shit, especially the selections of Dahlhaus & Higgins...

After the game:
  • Essendon were a poor opposition and didn't put up much fight
  • Shouldn't read too much into the game because Essendon were a poor opponent
  • Some Geelong players stood up & had really good/solid games, but again Essendon were a poor opposition so we shouldn't read too much into it...

I've seen a few comments but not enough that have acknowledged that a contributing factor to Essendon looking like a poor opponent on Saturday could well be because Geelong didn't let them look like a good opponent, that our guys stood up and took control around the contests - so rather than:
  • Geelong looked good or better because Essendon was shit, maybe there was also a strong element of
  • Essendon looked like shit because Geelong wouldn't let them get into the game, and Geelong took control of the situation early

I thought he was solid but he can still work on using the ball better by foot from the clearance. Can certainly hold his own, but we've known that for a while. No need to get carried away with 30+ possessions. I mean Merrett and Parish had those sort of numbers too without really hurting us.

16 contested
26 pressure acts
11 clearances (6 centre)
8 inside 50s

Merrett had one clearance, Parish had four.

Great game on Sat. Gez that game style makes Cats look like a completely different team from recent times. Loved the willingness for the handball out and straight ahead of the contest (and so did Danger!) - panicked the Don’s defence and gave no time to set up the blocks.

All said above, but got to call out Dahl - just about his best game for the club. seemed to thrive in the space and transition, moved and linked up well. Footskills were top notch.

With Dahl and the other oldies the challenge will be to stay fit and focused, but a great first up effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not how the Essendon midfield was being assessed on here before the match.
Nor is it remotely true. Essendon’s midfield is at least above average.

Last year Parish destroyed us in the equivalent match, with 13 clearances including 8 centre clearances while Parfitt had just 2.

This year a key part of our dominance was Parfitt turning the tables there with 11 clearances while Parish had just 4.

Nor is it remotely true. Essendon’s midfield is at least above average.

Last year Parish destroyed us in the equivalent match, with 13 clearances including 8 centre clearances while Parfitt had just 2.

This year a key part of our dominance was Parfitt turning the tables there with 11 clearances while Parish had just 4.
We won the clearances by 13 in that particular match. The midfield has been Essendon's achilles heel since Watson got old.

Five or so years ago, their spine was excellent - Hooker, Hurley, Daniher, Bellchambers, Carlisle. They wasted it with an anaemic midfield.

Ceglar available within 2 weeks. I’d play him and stanley and banish sav to the vfl. Stanley is a reasonable forward and regularly kicks 1 or 2. Use ceglar more in the ruck, use stanley as the chop out and play him forward outside that job.
I have always been keen for Ceglar to be our #1 ruck since getting him on the list.

I, like many, have been savage on Stanley... but I can imagine/hope that if he is coming off the bench and playing fewer minutes as the main ruckman he really should be able to come on and run off the oppositions rucks and impact because he should be fresher and faster + playing more against the oppositions 2nd ruck.
Stanley's athletic ability has always been his strength... so I guess having Ceglar lifting the load more, we might finally be able to cash in on Stanley's running ability.

Before the game:
  • Geelong is too old & won't play the kids
  • Essendon has a younger, more exciting looking team
  • Essendon has speed through the middle and will cut up Geelong as they don't have anyone to match the footspeed
  • Add more pro Essendon and Geelong is sh*t, especially the selections of Dahlhaus & Higgins...

After the game:
  • Essendon were a poor opposition and didn't put up much fight
  • Shouldn't read too much into the game because Essendon were a poor opponent
  • Some Geelong players stood up & had really good/solid games, but again Essendon were a poor opposition so we shouldn't read too much into it...

I've seen a few comments but not enough that have acknowledged that a contributing factor to Essendon looking like a poor opponent on Saturday could well be because Geelong didn't let them look like a good opponent, that our guys stood up and took control around the contests - so rather than:
  • Geelong looked good or better because Essendon was sh*t, maybe there was also a strong element of
  • Essendon looked like sh*t because Geelong wouldn't let them get into the game, and Geelong took control of the situation early
Depends what headlines you take notice of, I guess.

1647817060208.png

We won the clearances by 13 in that particular match. The midfield has been Essendon's achilles heel since Watson got old.

Five or so years ago, their spine was excellent - Hooker, Hurley, Daniher, Bellchambers, Carlisle. They wasted it with an anaemic midfield.
I’m speaking about now. Essendon’s midfield - Parish, Merrett, Shiel, McGrath, Heppell and Langford (among others) - is not one of the worst midfields as you asserted.

Bit difficult to emulate anything if you are either the sub every week or dropped every 3-4 weeks.

Be fantastic if he was given a decent crack it at it like Murdoch was given or Parsons, Lang, Gregson . . . you can go on and on but it seems like Narkle is given a a few weeks to star or he's dropped.
Parfitt was fantastic and he and Dangerfield, with help from Sellwood settled the contested midfield battle early on paving the way for a comfortable win. Agree that the opportunities given to Higgins, so clearly past his best and for that matter a player like Zuthrie, who was one of the few poor Cats on the day, stands in contrast to someone like Narkle, who is swiftly demoted, or overlooked, even after a string of good games. Yes, his defensive running and pressure can be slack, but the suspicion that Scott's favourites get untold opportunities while others don't remains strong in my mind.
On a positive note, Holmes has really announced himself as a best 22 player; Stengle the small forward opportunist the Club has needed; Hawkins another masterclass in old fashioned full-forward play and Stewart straight back to his calm, skilled best. Dalhaus looked as fit and sharp as we've seen him in a Cats jumper.

Just made me wish we played this style in the second half of the 2020 GF. Was grand to see it, and when we play like that we dont look old and slow (I'll put my hand up to that - I still dont like how we are so slow at backing newbies). Real test is this week against a great contested side. Should be a ripper. Disappointed De Koning will be out with concussion - he deserves a good run at it, but I loved his game on Wright - totally blanketed him when he was on. Good start, and it feels better knowing we are going to have a swing and play fast this year - at least we will die with our boots on and not meekly - like we have lately at the end of the year.

So much of this game just defied what has become the conventional wisdom on here.

Cats will play slow until forever under this coach, and just refuse to change anything. :heavymultiply:

Rhys is an utter liability who will never be remotely competitive as a ruck against anyone decent ever again. :heavymultiply:

Parfitt is a perennial underachiever who will never break through to really dominate a game in the middle. :heavymultiply:

The skipper and Danger are both pale shadows of their former selves, and should be retired from the mids group as soon as possible. :heavymultiply:

Dahl is miles past it and will never play a game that warrants senior selection again in his football career. :heavymultiply:

Blitz is a defensive embarrassment and will be exposed weekly as incapable of nullifying an opponent. :heavymultiply:

Alongside all those pleasing 'outliers', you also had Holmes taking more significant steps (kicked straight at goal as well), SDK looking comfortable at the level, and Stengle already demonstrating the worth of his acquisition. So many positives on the day that it's actually difficult to zero in on just a few of them here.

So, yes, I'm fully aware that much of the conventional wisdom might return with a vengeance. And even next Friday against the Swans might not be too soon for that. But I did enjoy seeing a number of our players (and the system with which we played) buck the negative narrative that gets plenty of airplay around here.

As Sam Mitchell sagely noted in his after-match presser today, things are never as good as you think or as bad as you think.

You've made some good points here - especially about certain players being written off, the improvements from specific players, and balancing this up with the realities of a potential 'March Champions' tag.

I can only add that I was pleasantly surprised at the overall evenness in the performance from the group. Of course, we've had some great wins over several recent seasons, but I'm struggling to recall us putting as much fierce pressure on the opposition ball-carriers (particularly in that first half). Our overall pace, both on and off the ball, was really heartening as well.

I too counterbalance my praise and optimism, with the well-discussed realities.

So, I suppose we can only support and hope... I'm keen to see how Scott manages our list, particularly the veterans, over this home and away season compared to recent ones. And the really big question - if we do progress as we are more than capable of doing to September, what's going to be different in our preparation this year, to play at or near our best when it counts?

I think the quick turnaround with such a late Grand Final in 2020 definitely hurt a few players. I mean look how Richmond faired last year as a comparison.

It is probably not surprising a few guys looked much fresher, but a year older, it is a big leap to think they might still be running through the line in September.

We have depth, we have to use it and whip out players as they begin to fade. Need to rotate the squad more than in the past.

I don’t think Higgins and Dahl will be there in second half of year so have to get games into others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong Bombs the Dons by 66 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back