2nds Geelong Cats V Northern Ballarat 1:30pm Sun Aug 9 Eureka Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw the first half and parts of the third quarter.

The three players who stood out for me before half time were Gore, Cunico and Bates.

Gore seemed to find the ball pretty easily and I thought he used it better than most out there.

Cunico and Bates both found space and took a few uncontested marks helping to set up some (rare) movements forward. Both lacked polish and decision making at times.

Was watching from the forward pocket so didn't get a great view on some of the contested stuff in the middle. Didn't think Jansen did a lot but his stats were quite good.

Vardy was well beaten - was involved in a lot of 1 on 2 contests though. He went to ground in marking contests a lot which was disappointing. Looked a fair way off AFL football even allowing for the testing conditions.

Menzel played most of the first half as a very deep forward. Didn't get a lot of opportunities but didn't really win any contests. Looked better up the ground and almost solely created one of the goals.

Cowan was pretty solid but not outstanding.

Simpson, Smedts and to a lesser extent Bews all highlighted the elements of their game keeping them out of the AFL side
Thanks for that, Jimmy. Much appreciated. A bit disappointing right across the board, by the sounds of things, rather than us just not finishing well, etc.

@GeelongVFL: Tackles: Sheringham 7, Rees 6, Jansen 5, Smedts 4
Surely JJ isn't far away, if not this week then maybe next..? Been consistent this season, (from stats, if not actual visual), tho the visual from limited views is impressive. ;)

Just hard to see who comes out from a team that recently beat finals contenders *shrugs*

Surely JJ isn't far away, if not this week then maybe next..? Been consistent this season, (from stats, if not actual visual), tho the visual from limited views is impressive. ;)

Just hard to see who comes out from a team that recently beat finals contenders *shrugs*

I think he deserves too yes, both Jansen & Gore deserve a run.

The problem is they are inside midfielders (Jansen more so) with Gore who can play outside well too & roam around. But we just can't bring them in with our midfield currently the best it has been this year in terms of personnel & form.

Jansen should have gotten his debut mid year when we had Duncan injured & a few guys out of form. Gore would have too if it wasn't for that shoulder injury.

Gore would only come in if we dropped both GHS & Stokes for mine, Stevie J in for Stokes & Gore in for GHS. But don't think they will. Gore will get his go next year. Jansen is out of contract end of this year so could be delisted but hopefully he gets a 1 year extension to continue developing & hopefully get a debut next year!

I think last year's draft is looking much better than other recent efforts. Gregson looks a lock, Cockatoo has a lot of flaws still but looks a very special talent, and both Gore and Cunico have had a real impact at the lower level.

We needed a good draft and I think we might have had one.

They have been mighty impressive haven't they.
Cunico I haven't seen enough of but Read looks a good prospect and recently signed an extension to his contract. That highlights what the coaching staff think of his potential (or development).
Gore is impressive. At one stage during the preseason, he was our best performed 'newbie' and a real standout in the intra-club practice matches. He had an injury and missed a bit of the year to date but he looks made for AFL. Think of Vlastuin from Richmond or Cripps from Carlton and there's a similar quality in being able to hold up in tackles and in turn, bring down seasoned players themselves.
Gregson is Gregson, simply been a revelation for us. Not only holding down his own in the best 22 but literally one of our better performed players earlier in the season before dropping away as expected. Imagine this kid with 50 games under his belt.

Cockatoo like you say, won't be long before he puts it all together and when he does . . . goodness me! Already takes a lot to bring him down so another couple of years in the gym, what a incredible talent he is going to be.

This Gore bloke needs a run in the AFL side. He has done enough (and come back well from injury to boot).

I am certain he would provide more value than Cockatoo or Stokes ATM.

Stokes yes... one can see its really on the way down for him now. Gore may or may not give more now... but he will gain big from a game or two.

The more I see it Stokesy is done at AFL level. He has been fanstastic for the duration and I had to eat my hat 2 years ago when he fed it back to me when I thought he was cooked then. And I was 100% wrong then. He came back and exceeded all expectations.

Im just not sure he can hold his place anymore. I hope he can prove me wrong again and force feed me another hat - I just dont see how he can do it. Especially with the 3 injured guys getting healthy and Gore, JJ, and hell even Cunico getting better...

All that said, we could still keep him on the senior list on a vet minimum 1 yr deal to assist at both AFL and VFL level. If his form warrants it - he gets some games but otherwise he plays that T Selwood leadership role in the VFL.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we still awake I don't even know... :D

But regarding VFL I say Stokesy should be in the VFL the rest of the year, I'd rather GHS get a full game over him, and also would prefer Gore to get some time in the seniors even if it is only sub.

Why are we still awake I don't even know... :D

But regarding VFL I say Stokesy should be in the VFL the rest of the year, I'd rather GHS get a full game over him, and also would prefer Gore to get some time in the seniors even if it is only sub.
I'm awake 'cos I'm scoffing the end of a bag of chips :D
Why are YOU awake? It's almost time for you to get out of bed! :D

I'd love to see Gore get a run- he deserved a run early in the season before he went down. Would be great to see him have one now.

Goodnight! Get to bed. I'm off now, too :)

I'm awake 'cos I'm scoffing the end of a bag of chips :D
Why are YOU awake? It's almost time for you to get out of bed! :D

I'd love to see Gore get a run- he deserved a run early in the season before he went down. Would be great to see him have one now.

Goodnight! Get to bed. I'm off now, too :)

I work nights so don't get home until 2am or something so my body clock is used to going to sleep around 3am haha!
Me too Gore looks a beauty & I asked about his progress on Tweet The Coach so keep an eye out for that if they include it ;)

Any updates in game much appreciated….

Take that Cannuk with you!

Go Catters
Haha she's gone back to Canada for a holiday, lucky her! Wasn't much to report, pretty ordinary outing by the boys, though at least everyone got through all right. Ground was pretty soft, & that combined with the wind didn't lead for great conditions for high scoring football.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Geelong Cats V Northern Ballarat 1:30pm Sun Aug 9 Eureka Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back