Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think that youth has any potential for improvement?
it’s not about improvement it’s about any potential A graders. The only one is henry. There is no young midfield group (parfit is it and he is looking like a b plus player) and no young key position players at either end of the field. ive never seen the youth of the club this bad. Ever.

clark, narkle look done at the club.

miers, parfitt, henry are thé only young decent players at the club and none are rising stars.

ignoring thé kids drafted in the past 2 years who are all too speculative to rate at this point.

I wanted to bring up something that seems to happen a lot more to us than any other club and that is being told to prematurely play on, why the **** was Guthrie called to play on in the 3rd or 4th cant remember when all he did was bork like he was taking off, didnt go off his line, that probably cost us a goal, its happened a lot to us this year especially within goal scoring range.

What on earth went wrong with a lauded forward line to make the coaches
move Henry there? Desperate!

Ok Rohan injured, Sav and Hawk not managing.
When was the last time we saw that move/ - they have done it before.
Pretty sure Henry took months to recover from the pressure of that meddle.
Henry is a classic swing player, can and does play anywhere he is of value. 2 goals...

How is 2 weeks off essential? Bullshit its pure arrogance that has arguably cost us 4 points, the guys slotting in for Henderson,Smith and Atkins were all absolutely horrendous.
How do you know that the injuries or reasons for not playing for the past 2 weeks aren't serious and requiring of 2 weeks?

Over the past month Henderson has missed a match due to personal reasons and a reported calf injury - calf injuries are shit at any age and not easy for those who are a bit older

O'Connor missed a good chunk earlier in the season due to a hamstring injury, missed a further game due to hamstring tightness and now battling a knee issue - that can easily be longer than 1 week

Atkins missed last week due to a reported stiff back and depending on the seriousness of the issue it to can be longer than 1 week on the sidelines. Back issues are shit and can be quite hard to overcome

So yes it's very easy to see how 2 weeks could be essential

he’s a behind the call rebounding/distribution breaking lines quarterback player. Has no idea what to do in the midfield. Never has. Has been a hbf his entire career before arriving at Geelong. We have coached out his strengths and he’s now sh*t
He played cricket ahead of football.

Id have liked to have seen Kreuger swung forward, especially when Himmelberg was giving him a bath down back, may aswell see what a bloke has to offer actually playing his natural position looked like he had no idea down back tonight.

Mmmm that would be desperate, I thought he was more a defender that kicked a few VFL goals?
Hard to change and be expected to find form mid game.

Early shot at the meat tray for next week:

In: Henderson Cameron Atkins O'Connor Smith Evans
Out: Clark (preferably on the red-eye to Perth this evening) Rohan (injured) Kreuger Narkle Close Dahlhaus

B: Atkins Blicavs Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart Henderson O'Connor
C: Smith Selwood Tuohy
HF: Parfitt Hawkins Higgins
F: Henry Cameron Evans
Foll: Stanley Dangerfield C.Guthrie
Int: Bews O'Connor Ratugolea Z.Guthrie

What on earth went wrong with a lauded forward line to make the coaches
move Henry there? Desperate!

Ok Rohan injured, Sav and Hawk not managing.
When was the last time we saw that move/ - they have done it before.
Pretty sure Henry took months to recover from the pressure of that meddle.
GWS play even numbers. If we can't get him or Stewart as a spare they're just wasted.
Better off putting him forward.
We actually missed Atkins a hell of a lot tonight.
Imagine saying that a year ago haha

it’s not about improvement it’s about any potential A graders. The only one is henry. There is no young midfield group (parfit is it and he is looking like a b plus player) and no young key position players at either end of the field. ive never seen the youth of the club this bad. Ever.
We are in contention yet have blooded 4 players this year, Carlton just one.
We have not had any significant VFL games this year, so it's hard to get form into these young players, and we are still at a 75% success rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's barely played as a HBF since he arrived at Geelong - he had about 5 games there in his first season until such time that Tuohy returned to the senior side and Clark was rested for a week. When he then returned to the seniors for round 7 he had moved to his new role in the midfield and playing along the wing, a role that he's been used in since that time

They gave him another run this year in the backline when we played Sydney, but he looked out of his depth back there and as such they've kept him out of the misfits group since then

That equates to about 6 games from the 29 games he's played, and looking at his form in his first season he was at his best after being shifted to the wing - looked to be a spot that he'd make his own over the coming seasons, but doesn't seem that'll be the case for now
I actually think his best games in his first season were hbf early on, maybe because we had a backline that at the time was getting penned in a little and he was seemingly the only one willing to attack at times. But now we have guys like Henry and Atkins being willing to bite off a bit and keeping the balance means to play there he had to defend more and that's thrown him.

His time as a forward has not borne fruit. I think he's a wing and only a wing from here.

I wanted to bring up something that seems to happen a lot more to us than any other club and that is being told to prematurely play on, why the fu** was Guthrie called to play on in the 3rd or 4th cant remember when all he did was bork like he was taking off, didnt go off his line, that probably cost us a goal, its happened a lot to us this year especially within goal scoring range.
I think I heard the ump at the next stoppage tell him he was wrong, had thought Guthrie had taken a step.
I thought they were there to call what they see, not what they assumed had happened.

I think the game illustrated how difficult our system is. Remember a few years ago, how we had difficulty with CS's system? It's highly engineered and required highly trained engineers to run it. Our best lineup can do it now. Unfortunately we had trainees and workmen in there tonight. I looked like games from before.

Early shot at the meat tray for next week:

In: Henderson Cameron Atkins O'Connor Smith Evans
Out: Clark (preferably on the red-eye to Perth this evening) Rohan (injured) Kreuger Narkle Close Dahlhaus

B: Atkins Blicavs Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart Henderson O'Connor
C: Smith Selwood Tuohy
HF: Parfitt Hawkins Higgins
F: Henry Cameron Evans
Foll: Stanley Dangerfield C.Guthrie
Int: Bews O'Connor Ratugolea Z.Guthrie
Add Tuohy to your outs but it will not be far off.

I’ve seen that germ at a lot of Geelong home games lately
Carries a suitcase around, also that’s not a crack at his walking status. He literally walks around with a suitcase

For our clash against the Bulldogs I was sitting in the Brownlow stand - I got the early enough to watch the VFL before hand, and that also meant the chance to watch Browne rehearse for his news segment

Myself & another cats fan a couple of rows in front cracked up laughing at him because every rehearsal was different and then when he presented it to the camera it was different again

Was i the only one who got bored half way through the first qtr and decided to watch the newly released episode of Ted Lasso instead?

ps. It was sh*t too.
Don’t ruin Ted for me too. This weekend is already ****ed enough.

I actually feel we really missed Atkins down back, they got some really cheap goals from sloppy ground balls that his tenacity might have nullified.

I wonder why it's only when we're 5 goals down in the last that we throw caution to the wind and move the ball on quickly at every opportunity rather than trying to show more urgency a lot earlier in the piece.

Really the worst performance of the year by the Cats. I felt GWS played a man-on-man style which stopped our guys getting any easy ball in the center/stoppages and then their spread was just so much better and faster than ours and it left our guys chasing them. They even manned up when Geelong was trying to bring the ball forward from the backline turnovers so even our short kick game struggled.

I really think GWS is such a sleeper team. If they can get their injury problems sorted (needs high-performance review) and draft trade well in the off-season they could be back as a contender next year. Sure, they were undermanned tonight but so was Geelong really, especially after the injuries we got through the game.

I hope Greene gets 2 weeks for that elbow on Paddy. Dog act.

Not much we can do about it now. The Cats need to regroup for next week and turn it around. It sucks to lose, but if the team goes out there thinking like they did tonight they'll lose a few more games. Talk about getting ahead of yourself. Let's hope what GWS did tonight isn't showing a huge flaw in our gameplan every team will now exploit and it was just the shite attitude and effort that caused this loss because that can be fixed. Gameplan flaw not so much. At least not this close to finals.

Way to late for it to happen, but would love to see Fort play in the ruck next week.

Ratagolea has had one good game and it was against Ryan Garthwaite.

Higgins continues to underwhelme.

Henry probably stays forward as he at least competes in the air. When was the last time Hawkins actually jumped for a ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back