Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

OMG - the guy that beat Hawk looks and sounds like he's a 15 year old schoolboy!!
Frustrating to see him beating Hawkins but hard to hate him after that interview.

Plus, it's our fault. We literally just kicked it to him over and over again. Our entries were either quick, blind, and to 40m or directly in front or really long and deep. They only had to set up for one kind of entry at any point.

There’s a lot to hate about that but we weren’t badly beaten; we just didn’t win a game we should have.

Contested ball is THE barometer for Geelong. Has been for 15 years. We almost can’t win when we don’t win that area of the game. We won almost every other stat category but CPs and the scoreboard. It’s the bellwether for us. Didn’t win the contests and that was it.

49480D10-596F-43E3-BDC4-BF990429CB47.jpeg

Having said that, we did enough to win and just didn’t put it on the scoreboard. We will win on expected score which I know isn’t much of a consolation but it speaks to how much of a waste this was. Clark’s miss was symptomatic.

AC182A5D-3047-484B-A78E-786C5E9CC481.jpeg

I just really worry about the injuries now. Danger, Rohan and Tuohy will be out you’d assume. Blicavs, Close, Parfitt and Dahlhaus all looked sore. We really shouldnt be playing Krueger, Clark or Narkle after those performances but may have to. There’s half a dozen changes needed. Henderson, Cameron, Smith and maybe Atkins, Miers and O’Connor? That’s a worryingly big change in personnel with clouds over many returning and many who will play.

We really must beat St Kilda and not leave it to the last round to secure top 4. Such a wasted opportunity tonight.

Not loving how much people are jumping into the most inexperienced players. Yeah, they weren't great. But what about:

Menegola - absolute turnover merchant

Higgins - recruited to add 'silk', failed at his one job, zero defensive effort

Guthrie - without Danger needed to step up, didn't

Dalhaus - ok for about 10 minutes in the last quarter, but earlier... no

Stewart/Kolo/Blitz - humiliated one on one over and over again in defence

Parfitt - needs to decide if he wants to be an A grade player or not

Hawkins - when what you're doing ain't working, try something else (although the delivery to him was pathetic all night)

You can't have all your senior players giving you nothing and then blame the kids for failing to get you over the line.
Clark should of nailed that and Narkle should of provided more defensively

The senior players have the runs on the board , they don’t

Absolute piss weak effort tonight. Did not rock up and expected it to just happen.

contested possession says we did not give a fu**.

biggest disappointment: I’m now worried we’ll throw away get another flag chance. This group need to win it this year. We won’t get this chance again. We will go down as the biggest choking pretenders of all time if we muff this. Our mentally weak mindset we show at times worries me.

injuries at the pointy end are costing us. we need our team fit for finals. Dirty, dirty night. Danger Rohan touhy are absolutely CRITICAL.

turning point for me was narkle. Been an avid supporter. Now I want him gone. This game changed my opinion of this guy. Full 180. Pea Heart. He can fu** off

clark. Let me start with something. Hear me out. The coaching staff have completely cooked him. I blame The club. They coached out his flair, confidence and self belief by playing him out of his position (he’s a hbf) and dropping him every second game. He is now sh*t, devoid of confidence and mentally shot. He will now be get another first round bust under wells watch.

With the injuries, the fact our fringe absolutely failed and how the cracks were shown yet agsin - we’ve all seen this before in the pointy end of the season - this was a season changing game for me.

bitterly disappointed.
Why is he a HBF only? He has too much talent for that position and he is not a hard player as required for defence.

Smith and Hendo play and we win that game, arrogantly managing players has never made any sense to me, especially with a pre finals bye to freshen up.
It's not arrogant, it's often essential. How many others tonight needed a week off? Hawkins, Close, Menegola, Parfitt...

Have you seen our outs though

Danger most of game
Atkins
Duncan
Cameron
Smith
Miers
Hendo
O'Connor

Plus a half fit Rohan

Mmmm, their outs were much bigger than ours. Agree that we lost important players on the night, but, we ultimately decided to rest Smith, and not bring back Hendo, O'Connor and Atkins. They're not exactly forced outs, just arrogance that this would be an easy phone it in win - which is exactly how we played all night until the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward line is a dysfunctional mess, it has become a hallmark of our season, even with our preferred players in there. We controlled the first 15 minutes of tonights game after Kolo's goal, and before injuries, and should've been able to put them under scoreboard pressure from there. Instead we continue to bomb it going inside 50, with no clear structure or plan, and hope that simply by virtue of having a high volume of inside 50's we will kick a winning score...

I agree and think the problem is compounded by the fact that our half-forward types are toothless.
Higgins, Holmes, Close, Dahlhaus, and others, miss chance after chance to score. Very presentable chances as well!.

This leaves the long kick as the only real scoring option, which as you say, makes us easier to defend.
What I would give for a handful of Sydney's small goal sneaks...

I didn't mind Kreuger. I love his long penetrating kicks. I think he looks a real promising player. We sorely lack athletic tall defenders who have a racking 55 metre boot on them.
He was shown up in a few contests but for a second gamer, he is definitely worth persisting with.

He started a bit slowly and i think got beaten in a few contests, but he put in and later in the game he began to look pretty handy with his nice long left foot and a couple of good plays. He's worth persisting with, Hendo's not getting any younger and he's into his 3rd season in Geelong's system. It didn't seem to worry the no-names that looked like superstars for the Giants tonight that's for sure. Hoping this loss really rankles with the players and coaching staff, and they use it to push forward from here on in.

Massive credit to an undermanned, unfancied Giants side, they were really good for most of tonight's match.

Any debate about Toby Greene being overrated in any way shape or form was put to bed too; excellent player, bobbed up with goals like he always does and showed a lot of leadership. Should get some time for that raised elbow though. Whitfield, Taranto both very good.

Our forward line was horrible tonight, Tom Hawkins has been INSIGNIFICANT for two weeks now - he is a legend of the club, but he was absolutely towelled up tonight, caught behind time after time after time - he usually uses being 2nd to the ball to his advantage, but his opponent tonight beat him over and over in the exact same fashion.
Worse still; Hawkins was having a putrid night but his teammates continued to look for him with predictable regularity, culminating in Zach Guthrie bypassing Ratugolea, who had done his opponent cold on a good lead, and going long to an out-of-position Hawkins in the last quarter. I coulda screamed.

Brad Close's proposed rest a few weeks ago is starting to look alarmingly overdue, he got close (no) to this highest disposal count last week and yet I thought he looked a bit down on his usual sparkle; tonight though he was downright terrible for just about the first time; slow to react, made poor decisions.

Shaun Higgins continues to underwhelm, and yet you look at the stats sheet and things look, well, ok for a bloke playing as a semi-permanent half-forward. Always gets around 20 disposals and always misses a couple of gettable shots. All well and good, but his impact is consistently negligible. Will his experience help him find a way to add value to the team before the year is out? Has he ever actually played a final?

Sam Menegola was horrible by foot tonight; his numbers on paper look pretty similar to last year's ''break-out'' season and yet he has rarely been as influential. I'm hoping his renowned fitness and physical maturity might still serve him well in September, but night's like tonight only serve to remind me that he is a real low-ceiling guy, his best is solid, his worst is pedestrian.

Rhys Stanley needed to put in a good showing tonight against an inexperienced opponent and he got better and better as the game went on imo, did all the good Rhys Stanley things that we all know he is more than capable of.

As has rightly been mentioned by others, we were down on rotations and had a couple of key players impacted by injury to varying degrees; losing Dangerfield so early was a real blow; as soon as I saw that knock I knew he was in trouble, I thought he'd had his jaw broken for a second.

We need to just put this one behind us and manage the list as best we can leading into September. Would be happy to see Frank Evans given another run before the year is out, he can deputize for any of Dahlhaus, Close or Higgins. I really want Close back to his best by finals and the club should be able to manage that barring injury.

Mmmm, their outs were much bigger than ours. Agree that we lost important players on the night, but, we ultimately decided to rest Smith, and not bring back Hendo, O'Connor and Atkins. They're not exactly forced outs, just arrogance that this would be an easy phone it in win - which is exactly how we played all night until the last quarter.

Yes but they should have depth to cover it since they have had 11 million top 10 picks since entering the league. We havent had jack.

Toby Greene is overrated…………. I had that in my head all game, whilst he was tearing us a new one

Sydney's run home is St Kilda, North, Gold Coast.

Need to win at least one of our last two games or the Swans pip us to top four.
I’m more worried about Lions. They have Freo, Collingwood and West Coast.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I probably prefer this result to be honest.
We end up winning probably just papers over some pretty obvious cracks.

Think it's the nature of the loss that frustrates people more than anything. Mid-table to mediocre opposition, expected to win comfortably, lack of intensity from the outset sees us 5-6 goals in arrears, mount a late challenge, ultimately fall short through missed opportunities and poor decision-making. Feel like I've seen this movie before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back