Review Geelong defeats North Melbourne by 31 points @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

that 3rd qtr burst was reminiscent of the GF era teams that could bang on 5 goals in 3 mins.

It was powerful footy.

Im not saying this lot is as good as that lot, but the parallels were there for that 15 mins.

GO Catters
Watching that Q3 with Bots and Quivorir was bliss.

So where was this effort for the Pies/Blues games? Good win, but Norf will write it off to having several A-grade players out injured. I thought both sides played fairly bruise free. Bulldogs will be a test next week.

Go have a look at their board mate. Not a shred of credit given to us for simply being the better team. Nope, the single reason they lost is injuries.

Great win, much more worried about Menzel.

Pre game I knew we'd get them from a supply perspective, conversion let us down but we had so much more of the game on our terms that it didn't hurt us in the end, they simply couldn't score unless we messed up before hand.

Edit: Dangerfield's game is probably the best I've seen of a mid he did the work of two elite mids
Edit 2: Super Boot Shane Kersten could have had 4 in 5 minutes but I'll settle for 3

Last edited:
It was a great team effort tonight, got to be proud of the way the players started the match, but then the effort to start the 3rd quarter was fantastic. Something about that felt similar to the start of the 4th quarter against the Blues where we hit Hawkins up a couple if times, but tonight it was Kerstens turn, and to make it better we continued with the momentum and didn't let North back in.

Even when Woods kicked the goal for North after the 3qtr time siren, we didn't let them start with any momentum in the last by getting on top quickly and stopping all their run.

Obviously Danger & Sels dominated tonight, but I absolutely loved the play in the 3rd quarter where Kolo gets the ball on the halfback line, he ignores Motlop short to instead kick it long to a contest. Ball bounces drawing 2 North players and Kersten, where Kersten was smart enough to tap the ball to Menz advantage who was able to goal on the run. I loved that it was a trio of our younger, less experienced players who were willing to take the game on, but also put the ball to the advantage of a teammate.

Just back from game. Great win, albeit against a team that was undermanned during the night.

Danger and Sel were obviously exceptional performances. With Smith and Menzel I though clearly the 4 most influential players on the ground.

But kudos should be given to quite a few others - thought Taylor and Henderson were magnificent - Taylor's best game for the year.

I really liked Ruggles second half after a patchy first half punctuated by a very soft attempted mark in front of where we were sitting. To come back and play uncompromising footy after that was a great sign. Thomas was clearly a concern pre-match - to contain him easily was a very good performance.

Got to hand it to Kersten as well. A real burst style of game but that's exactly what you need from your mid sized forwards. He's improved a lot and is in the team for good from now I think.

Had an ordinary first half but Blicavs fought back well in the third. Had some great touches I thought.

All in all a very enjoyable quality game of footy to go and see.

Edit: forgot to mention - Kolo was alternating all night with Ruggles on Thomas. Kolo should also be given a slap on the back for his defensive work as well on a player that he physically wouldn't be best suited to play on. Good night from him even though he would have had limited touches I dare say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that win certainly made up for sitting with the norf cheersquad last year.

Dangerfield is just a phenomenal player. Norf really had no one to tag him with Ben Jacobs out and couldn't contain Selwood either. Boomer getting off the leash was one thing I could see happening if we didn't have someone run with him.

All in all it was a fantastic win with some straight goal kicking :thumbsu:

Stats are a funny thing, Blix gets 99 SC points and I thought he was poor tonight, Zac Smith 78 and I reckon he was right after the magnificent duo for influence on the game.

There's a difference between stats and SC points.
But Blitz was good tonight, playing his usual multiple roles.

Kolo shut down Lindsay Thomas!

Dunno if anyone notices how the older backline players don't use him much. A shame really cause he uses the ball well. Would help with his confidence if they involved him more.
As I knew he'd have the potential to do. I missed the last quarter but he outpointed Thomas and shut down Johnson the week before. He's developing into a very good player under Scarlo's tutelage.

Domsy unfortunately is the week link at the moment.

I wouldn't play him again.

Spit on purpose?
**** me, ppl are the worst.
Yep, and I was appalled, and that was after giving him several warnings for foul language.

Where are those North flogs that have been hanging around here all week?
Found them

crying-gif.gif
get

Neither would I, in his outstanding current form, he'd kill me.

A live observation Fred, nothing personal. He was good earlier on in the season but his decline has come fast. Falls over a lot now, he just can't keep up.

Stats are a funny thing, Blix gets 99 SC points and I thought he was poor tonight, Zac Smith 78 and I reckon he was right after the magnificent duo for influence on the game.
One stat amazed me tonight-North had 8 centre clearances for the night (whole team that is!), and Dangerfield had 10.

Incredible performance. :hearts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats North Melbourne by 31 points @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back