Review Geelong defeats Port by 60 points.. Great team win!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see Sav coming back in. With Rohan and Miers running up the field and forcing defenders to go with them, Danger resting there and the mids storming forward to get the ground balls it just leaves Hawk with so much space. Bit like Pagan's paddock. Sav just doesn't have the tank to move defenders away and we lose some unpredictability.

Yeah this is an excellent point. I hope they don't try and shoehorn him in just because.

I'm guessing I must have only thought it in my head, and not committed it to paper - I'd say it was when third man up was still available - I had visions of Blicavs potentially being able to dominate a game like Koutafides. He had the tank, the speed, the height etc and if they could skill him up, he would be just about unmatchable. Then he seemed to stagnate for a few years, but this year it's been fun to watch. When he is moving forward there is an awful lot to like about what he brings. (It's when he's moving backwards and trying to kick at the same time that things get scary.)

So many years we have been screaming, will you stop with the slow movement that allows defenders to double team Hawkins while bombing it onto his head, and then be able to rush the ball back out of the 50 without pressure.

This year we seem to have been able to bring a bit more speed, been able to isolate Hawkins one on one, and provide more pressure in the F50, and make it really hard for the opposition defenders.

Another thing that has been great to watch is that even if Hawk doesn't get the ball cleanly, he's obviously feeling fit enough to go for a second effort. At the moment he has the tank to move around like Richo did (though he didn't really have the need last night to work all the way down the half back flank), but provide the physical presence of a Carey. For a few years there he seemed hampered with his back.

Third and last comment, even when he's within range (and his radar is on this year), he's still looking at handing off and getting the ball to someone else in a better position, e.g. the Atkins goal.

He is going to leave a huge hole in a couple of years when he retires.

I haven’t understood the anti-Henry sentiment at all this year. He has been really solid.
I'm guilty. I have just not thought he is that good. But I'm now a believer. I noticed last night when the Port player took that mark, Henry was right in there and almost spoiled, did not quite make it. But he is so reliable and a valuable member of the misfits.

Give the **** a go surely?

And I pray they don't push Sav in for the sake of his development... that can wait. We don't have long left with Hawk, Danger, Joel, Harry, even Gaz getting old fast. We have a chance to win the flag this year. Please don't stuff it up.

I like Cockatoo but time is fast running out. And can we rely on his body to not fail in a big final?

Gee whiz. What a performance by the big T Bone. Was excited at the sight of him all oiled up to start proceedings, and goodness gracious did he deliver! Possibly the most complete and dominant game of his career.

One thing that absolutely baffled me.... BT and Carey having an actual serious conversation on whether or not Hawkins “has done enough” to earn another contract?!?? Like it was even actually debatable. Jesus Christ almighty, it’s staggering how bad the Channel 7 commentary team is.
Taylor was also seriously suggesting that Hawkins is normally a leading forward not someone who takes contested marks. He's a ****ing moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'd benefit massively from trying to find a way to adjust the dimensions at Kardinia Park. Bit left field for a review thread i know, but i think we are benefiting from not playing there and the MCG this year, which needs to change. Playing at KP with those dimensions gives us a false sense of how well we are tracking, then we go to the G where teams can spread out more and we fall down to earth quick. It wont be easy but even a slight adjustment to the width of KP would do us a lot of good.

As for the on field stuff. Teams are just gonna triple team Hawk from now on (if they werent trying already), and if it works it's a bit of a gap to our next best forward options. Need to find that second genuine forward option to keep the defence accountable and not just triple team Hawk. With our smalls and mids around the ball having a second tall to at least bring it to ground for them to feast would make every defence in this league crap themselves. Hendo floating up there in the last tonight demonstrates the need to find a more permanent option.
We won three premierships playing at KP and we play a lot at the G and we win there, our finals record has been poor in recent years that has been the biggest problem, but I don't think its because of the G.

Does Selwood now move into the forward line?

I thought he looked really up for it in the first quarter but he didn't have a lot of it after that. There was one passage at half back in the last when the game was well and truly over and he was smashing 3 or 4 Port players in a row to force a turnover like we were 5 points down in a GF. On form he is probably our 5th midfielder at the moment. Hopefully one last vintage finals series still in him.

Thar was blicavs best game as a midfielder in 5 years. some actual genuine classy ball pick ups and run and carry.

Hawkins best on ground by an absolute mile followed by guthrie and dangerfield.

Hard to work out where we are at given hawkins is in such a purple patch. He will have bad games as teams better target him and i worry the rest of the forward line wont function when that happens. Rohan was very quiet for the first 3 qtrs before some junk time goals. We need some more forward options. But in order to bring them in two of scotts untouchables in atkins and kolo need to make way. Will scott do the right thing this year, go against his pride and make the right call. Henderson should not be dropped.

Menegola and oconnor continue their great form.

Bews is not being Bews these days. He’s decided that he wants to break the lines like Danger. What’s next, Guthrie decides he wants to take over Selwoods role? Ridiculous.
I really like the way he and a few others ran around guys on the mark. It's like we knew that Hinkley knew that we were dead last in playing on off marks so Scott knew the be setting up to defend a kick and he just told them "hey guys, just do the opposite of what we've been doing, no one will expect it. Also Blitz, you're on the wing and rucking"

It's like his surprise finals strategy flip, but mid-season and actually wildly successful.

I'm neither a sack CS type nor a CS fan boy but tonight there were a few things that made me think that yeah, maybe another coach might have ground out a win, but the 60pt margin belonged to the whole coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Port by 60 points.. Great team win!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back