Autopsy Geelong smashed by Demons in PF and its gonna be a long summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know we were leading in a Grand Final at half time less than a year ago right?
A season with short quarters and a long break due to covid was a good tonic for old legs that have been harshly exposed in the latter part of this season. If those factors weren’t there last season it would have been a carbon copy to this seasons debacle.

Myth that anything other than a first round pick is a waste of time….

It is not so much what pick number they are as what you do with them.

Someone mentioned earlier that we used to give the younger players 4 games in a row minimum. Get a feel for the game, develop, learn.

If Stewart comes back alright from his injury well then I would give him the captaincy asap. It should have happened at the end of 2019 imo and I can't see anyone else who would be fit for the role. One of many changes I would like to see happen in this offseason.

There's a word that many here have used to describe awful performances by the club in the past. And I always thought it never quite fitted with the facts on display. Well, until tonight, that is.

That. Was. Putrid.

Getting belted is one thing. And it's actually a really bad thing. But giving up very early in the 'getting belted' is monumentally worse in my view. The only thing worse than how we evaporated under their pressure was how we threw in the towel with vast swathes of the game left to play.

So many played their worst game I can ever remember out there tonight. If you're writing off careers, you'd have an endless list to choose from with what we dished up. The mental demons of the playing group went straight past 'rattled' to 'whatever'. And that is a million miles beyond acceptable.

Despite what will inevitably go on right away here, now is not the time to evaluate the players that need to go and all the changes that need to be made. There will be plenty of opportunity for that when sober heads can prevail. In the meantime, I hope every player and every member of the coaching staff take it upon themselves to ask whether they are going to be part of the solution or part of the problem.

Because we sure as hell can't go into next year without some massive recalibrations in both areas if we want to be remotely competitive in '22 and beyond.

Totally shattered, of course. But tomorrow's another day and next season will be another year following the club I still love.

Love's crazy like that, after all. And games like that one (as abysmal as it was) just make that even more apparent.
Maybe getting belted isn’t so bad though- no way to sugar coat it- can’t hide from such a loss now- we were way off and some things need to change for next year.

Said it so often since 2014 but Scottball doesn't win finals. He has had his go, with it looking like Cook is off to Carlton and time for Chris to go elsewhere too. And can probably take Henderson, Rohan, Atkins, Kolo, Jenkins, Esava, Higgins, and a few others I can't be ****ed typing out.

Another year, another L-W-L finals series where we get bullied by teams that play a pressure game style vs a game style that requires skilled players and yet is imprinted on a team that lacks still, lacks courage and makes poor passing decisions. Anyone still supporting Scott is supporting mediocrity and is happy making up the numbers.

Jeremy Cameron wanting to come to Geelong could actually end up being a bad thing, could’ve drafted 3 quality youngsters, instead we loaded up for the now and are much further from a flag now than we were in the 2020 GF, we haven’t improved, gone backwards big time.

It was always less clear-cut than some might have seen it imo; Cameron has been very good for us when he's played, he is class, but he is not a Tom Hawkins type that you can build around for the future - he was a Right Now player, but I think Right Now has already passed. He's not gonna make us much better moving forward. 3 (or even 2) quality kids might have been something to build around along with Holmes, Henry, Parfitt, De Koning and a handful of others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not so much what pick number they are as what you do with them.

Someone mentioned earlier that we used to give the younger players 4 games in a row minimum. Get a feel for the game, develop, learn.

We need to go back to a conventional, patient build up with the draftees. The draft needs to be our primary method of rejuvenation. Not secondary. Hit it for at least 3-4 years then maybe trade for the gaps.

Demons are like Cats of 07.
Max Gawn - Mad Max. 5 goals from the Ruck. Lol. How long have we been saying get a Ruckman ? Since 2011. HAHA

I have to say Jeremy Cameron isn't a Key Forward, more a 2nd fiddle. He will need support post Hawkins.

I hope the Melts are great on here. I need a laugh.

Btw, in this new world of wokeness, under the NWO, are we allowed to call the Cats Handbaggers anymore?

Do we have much in the way of young legs to unleash through the midfield? Holmes and Parfitt are two that come to mind, but is there anyone else?

Parfitt won't ever be more than an honest trier. Despite the fact that he's one of the few players in the prime age demographic, I'm in favour of moving him on for picks, as I think investing in him as part of our midfield future will turn out to be a net negative for us due to his limited ceiling.

How many of the 30+ players who played tonight should get another gig next year?

Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Danger, and Duncan for mine. Higgins, Tuohy, Stanley and Blitz a maybe. Rohan and Henderson should get a tap on the shoulder.

Please be kind...
Is Scott going to deliver his post match presser from the concrete bunker he has been bundled into? Wouldn't you think, that even if it's against your stated philosophy, as the coach of a team that is being decimated, you may have ventured down to the boundary after the 3rd or 4th Melbourne goal in the 3rd, to offer something in the way of support? Is he a fu*king robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back