Autopsy Geelong smashed by Demons in PF and its gonna be a long summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No representation on deck. Can't score, game taken away. no plan b. too tall down back. game over by quarter time. worst performance of the year. This is all normal.... It's like the bye losses . it's a different group of players from 2012 to 15 to 18 to 21 but its the same result (ok one bye win this year). Normal. Not surprised at all!

Going to take us a good 5-7 years to get back to proper contention after all this, at which point Cameron will have finished, and we'll have wasted those picks. Was a gamble, and we failed. Higgins should retire, but we're too stubborn to do that.

If this was the NFL, we would put J.Cameron up for trade again, immediately.

Losing against the Demons in round 23 cost us. Beating Port at their home ground was always going to be hard. We needed to win our first final and have a week off for our
older legs. The last six weeks we have lost one player due to injury each week, we do
not have the depth to cover that. Too many hamstring injuries.

Mind you Melbourne were excellent.
best analysis I've read.

How many of the 30+ players who played tonight should get another gig next year?

Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Danger, and Duncan for mine. Higgins, Tuohy, Stanley and Blitz a maybe. Rohan and Henderson should get a tap on the shoulder.

Higgins, Blitz and Rohan should be gone. The rest still have something to give. And i include Henderson in that, as we dont have a ready made alternative. Give game time to Kreuger and De Koning, but you need the option of Henderson as well.

Clark and Narkle should watch the game to see what's required to be a genuinely hard AFL player. If they'd played they would have been mincemeat like every other Geelong player.

Atkins looked as good as anyone when he was thrown onto the ball.

Duncan very disappointing, Guthrie a non-event. At least Danger tried.

Had a bit of time to cool down and look at things a bit more objectively..

I've usually been pretty positive after the last few years. Sure finals failure is disappointing, but it happens. That's footy, and it's only footy, nothing more.

However, this year does feel different and I've been on the record saying this. This really did feel like the end, and in all honesty, it probably should be.

The coach? Who knows. I neither love nor despise Scott. I respect what he's been able to do but agknowledge there are damning flaws in his record.

Nevertheless, if we are to rebuild (which I think we all agree is non-negotiable now) I don't think he should be the man to lead it, nor his assistants. The club needs a breath of fresh air. Hocking can come in and so can a new coach, a new era is needed.

Build around Stephens, Stevens, Parfitt, Miers, Sav, SDK, Henry, Close, Holmes, Kreuger and Neale with support from Jezza, Stewart, Duncan and Guthrie while hitting the draft hard for a minimum of 3 years.

I know it's not exactly a list that fills you with excitement, but it's the reality of where we're at right now. We topped up and sacrificed our future and it didn't work, it happens. It's time to forget and move on now.

I don't blame the club. I understand why they took the approach they did, but it's over now, we just simply don't have the petrol anymore.

How many of the 30+ players who played tonight should get another gig next year?

Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Danger, and Duncan for mine. Higgins, Tuohy, Stanley and Blitz a maybe. Rohan and Henderson should get a tap on the shoulder.

Hawkins, Smith, Danger, Duncan and Stanley (in the absence of an alternative). Rest can go.

We can’t keep playing so many , Smith, Hawkins and maybe Tuohy should continue to get game time

I’m hoping we play more of the kids including Neale for the ruck role ect we badly need to refresh the list and playing the 30’s years old won’t do anything… danger needs to move forward

Rohan at the very least needs to go

I can’t remember the last time I didn’t take time out of my weekend to watch a Geelong game live, no matter what else I had going on. Paying for Kayo and selfishly passing on time with family or friends. Every non-COVID year I’ve gone to Melbourne or Geelong for multiple games, the countless hours per week I’ve spent on here or other sites keeping up with the latest news RE: Geelong, the money spent on memberships and merchandise, the list goes on. I was raised on the Cats and I’ve poured my time, money and focus into them relentlessly year after year. This might be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

I don’t buy into the reasoning that at least we aren’t Carlton or Gold Coast or whoever else, at least we have a chance every year. Bullshit! Year after year we manage to **** it up in finals and it’s always in the same fashion. We get pounded and embarrassed, the entire year that supporters have invested in this club seems to come down to 3 hours a year, and this is what we get dished up just about every time when it really matters. You can’t tell me that Sydney in ‘16, Richmond and Adelaide in ‘17, Melbourne in ‘18, Collingwood and Richmond in ‘19, Richmond last year and now Port and Melbourne were so clearly better than us player for player that we deserved to get smashed in all those finals. And it goes back further than that.

It’s the way the team is coached! We’ve had a better or equal list in plenty of these games but how many of these oppo sides look like millionaires playing against us in finals. We don’t tackle hard enough, we don’t pressure hard enough, we don’t convert enough chances, we go missing as a collective for far too many parts of the game. At least until this year you could make the case that we never gave up, but that performance was as big a surrender as I’ve ever seen. I get that the coaches aren’t the ones out there running around on the ground, but we’ve turned over nearly an entire list in the last decade and the only constant is Chris Scott. For the first time ever I want him gone. He’s a smooth talker, a snake oil salesman. When the push comes to shove he doesn’t possess the qualities as a coach required to get his team to perform on the big stage. His game plan will never stack up in finals and he’s too stuck in his ways to admit it and make the drastic changes required.

The fact that we happily continue to field by far the oldest team in the league and turn a blind eye to the future is a massive fail at a club level. In Scott’s early days he was happy to see the back of the likes of Chapman, Johnson, Kelly - all of whom were younger than a chunk of the players embedded in our best 22 today. Nowadays it’s all about the old favourites and trading in washed up players like Higgins who has less talent in his whole body than Steve Johnson had in his big toe, not to mention he’s older than Stevie was when he was let go.

I could honestly melt all night and I might be embarrassed to read over this tomorrow, but I’m just at my wits end. We’ve sold our future for one last shot at a Chris Scott flag and this is what we get dished up. It’s only going to get worse from here. Make no mistake I’ll be a Geelong man until the day I die, and I’ll be just as invested come round 1 next year. But when do we as a collective get to say we’ve had enough of this shit? That it’s time for a change? I would rather spend some time bottoming out with a new coach and system, and have a glimmer of hope for the future than continue to endure whatever rubbish the last 10 years have been. Because on our current trajectory we have no hope whatsoever, and that’s what scares me the most as a Geelong man through and through.

P.S. Congratulations to the Dees, they were absolutely incredible tonight and I would be thrilled to see them win the flag from here. They and their supporters completely deserve it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really was like being Port in the 07 GF. It was obvious early ..they were just way to much for us to handle. Melb look set for a well deserved run ..and it will be up to young groups like the Dogs and others to take it up to them.

The longer we want to like Tank Murdoch now, the longer the loss of face will be. Pretending that we are still the team. Beating chumps up but get shown up when you play the real stuff.

Hard choices should be made over the next three years , play the kids we have find out who is good enough, use the early picks we will gain form those low finishes and build a foundation on which we can rightly have faith that they may be good enough.

Last year and this year have had special circumstances about them... but we are only fooling ourselves if we divert the cuase away from us ..not being good enough, not being at the right age. No shame in it, it happens to all clubs.

Maybe they think its 2010 again. Maybe they think with a fresh voice and a full season it can turn out different. That was a very different group than the one we have now. They were winners.., this group now is buckled and I see very few of our best players who have a chance of being better next year.

I wish my dad was still alive , so he could see his Dees play. I think this is their year.

I’ve probably been guilty of sitting on the positive side of the fence when we’ve dished up a poor result. Can’t really write off the form line of the past 6 weeks. Was always a bit of hope involved in tonight to get it over the line. Always emotional after and might be hasty to say but there surely has to be some fallout after this

Grow up I don’t need to have a tantrum to show I care about the club
After the last 10 years it has all been said enough already

attacking me not going to change anything
I'm not attacking you, you are the one who decided to come into a forum full of pissed off fans and do your best Buddha impression. You be serene if you want, don't police how others feel about this though. IMHO the club needs to feel the anger of those who pay for its existence.

I gave you a thumbs down because you said we were entitled
I didn't say that though. I did not intend it come across that way.

Just trying to get people to see a little perspective. We have had a good run, we have tried our darndest to beat AFL House and fall agonisingly short.
All the baby out with the bathwater bellyaching is odd for a club that's actually had it good comparatively to many others. Just wait until we truly become shit.

Tonight I saw the club called a disgrace. That is not terminology accurate with what we've had recently.

The time for change has come at Geelong. It's just that simple. We will never win another flag under Chris Scott. The team needs to rebuild. We need youth in the side. It's time to phase out the old guys and bring in new blood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back