Preview Geelong V Gold Coast Sat Aug 13 2022 4:35 pm at Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there are now 2 players on the sidelines outside of todays announced team who simply have to come back in i.e. Duncan and Smith.
This leads us glaringly to which 2 out in Finals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Projecting no injuries I'd hazard a guess it comes from Menagola MOC Zuthrie,we will have our answer next week.

Some serious talent returns to the team : Blicavs Dangerfield Rohan Selwood
Some well deserved rest to Smith Duncan O'Connor + Dahlhaus omitted.
Emergencies : Knevitt Esava O'Connor Dahlhaus;
I suspect Esava may be given a last chance to impress and to boost his morale.

Scott wants to maintain the winning momentum this week... and cement top spot.
Cats will be keen to take the heat out of the game against GC early.
Put the score on the board in the first half then play bruise free footy.
Suns are not playing for final spot and will not be highly motivated.
Competition amongst Cats players for finals spots will keep the skill standard high
Maintaining players form and watching out for injuries will be the main goal
Expecting some experimental tactics will be trialled over next two rounds.
All the above plus Finals Fever will be enough to keep supporters interested.

R23 will likely see hard workers Atkins Hawkins and those with niggles given an extended rest
Hard runners Mires Close Holmes Stengle may spend extra time on the bench
Dual ruck combo Stanley Ceglar will be trialled.

Scott wants to maintain the winning momentum this week... & cement top spot.
Cats will be keen to take the heat out of the game against GC early.
Put the score on the board in the first half then play bruise free footy.
Suns are not playing for final spot and will not be highly motivated.
Competition amongst Cats players for finals spots will keep the skill standard high
Maintaining players form and watching out for injuries will be the main goal
Expecting some experimental tactics will be trialled over next two rounds.
All the above plus Finals Fever will be enough to keep supporters interested.
Your ability to write a bunch of sentences that all have a very similar number of characters is goated.

So there are now 2 players on the sidelines outside of todays announced team who simply have to come back in i.e. Duncan and Smith.

Let’s get through Uninjured first then work out that wonderful early Christmas gift of a problem

Hope someone can post on who actually travels up there from the Emergencies... id say most likely 3 out of the 4 will go? 1 sub and 2 for the break out of glass emergency
Thinking we'll find out tomorrow as a few of the guys will likely share plane photos

Miers (emg) and Menegola (sub).

Zuthrie if they went for an attacking route.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will leave Miers in cos he is just hitting really good form
He and Zuthrie present the form dilemma, they're both almost making themselves undroppable.

MOC was always on the chopping block in my view. Menegola and Rohan remain absolute favourites when available - will that suddenly shift? It surely has to for one of them.

Who would be your two dropped?

He and Zuthrie present the form dilemma, they're both almost making themselves undroppable.

MOC was always on the chopping block in my view. Menegola and Rohan remain absolute favourites when available - will that suddenly shift? It surely has to for one of them.

Who would be your two dropped?
Not so simple - I think it depends a bit on the match ups. But I reckon Menegola is not fit yet so he goes, I'd have Rohan in due to his pressure and the better gameplan. Zuthrie I'd have as sub cos he can play anywhere pretty well. Miers would be in my starting 22

Not so simple - I think it depends a bit on the match ups. But I reckon Menegola is not fit yet so he goes, I'd have Rohan in due to his pressure and the better gameplan. Zuthrie I'd have as sub cos he can play anywhere pretty well. Miers would be in my starting 22
I like that actually. Speed and creativity, with both of those players having goal threat too (in finals, that has been a weakness in the past).

The third marking target Rohan presents and room for rapid out the back goals once congestion is cleared - I think they'll see that as important.

Meanwhile the "brigade" of small forwards working together is very much a template for our success this year.

In Zuthrie and Menegola we would have two excellent backups though.

This, apart from niggles, injuries, and quarantines, this is what will be important.

MOC: managed and never to return one can hope.
Not sure what your problem is with O'Connor. He's still learning the nuances of AFL football but has been a solid contributor. He's on a steep learning curve which involves a variety of roles, tagging, using his athletic ability to link up in defence and push forward. He reminds me of Blicavs who took a while to learn the game but has developed into a weapon. At this stage he is on par with several other players in the 22 who play singular roles but O'Connor has a lot more upside.

Smith comes in on the wing
Menengola out. Duncan in for a HB OR midfielder…as wouldn’t be mucking around with the forward set up.
Perhaps Atkins as sub .
Atkins sub?
Come on Sarah
He’s one of the reason we’re currently being so successful

Not sure what your problem is with O'Connor. He's still learning the nuances of AFL football but has been a solid contributor. He's on a steep learning curve which involves a variety of roles, tagging, using his athletic ability to link up in defence and push forward. He reminds me of Blicavs who took a while to learn the game but has developed into a weapon. At this stage he is on par with several other players in the 22 who play singular roles but O'Connor has a lot more upside.
He’s had moments where he’s been our most composed player in big games and finals. And has played some very good games as a tagger.

But there’s no room for sentimental decisions this time of year. We have a genuine chance of winning this year.
Some really tough calls will need to be made at selection.
O’Connor has had a poor season and has struggled to find an impactful position in the team.
I would be surprised if he’s in our finals team, I wouldn’t be picking him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back