Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Mon April 18 3:20 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, this is a bit silly. Hawthorn are a bottom-four club this year, we're currently 3 and 1. We should win this comfortably and shame on us if we don't.
if they ever have an extra gear, it is against geelong..

we were a top four side last season and they were a bottom side... the margin was less than a kick when we played.

the rivalry is probably the only real rivalry currently in the AFL and it seems to get some mongrel in it that brings the game closer.

Who knows if they have that capability still without clarkson against us.

Art Vandelay questions Parfitt - and thank goodness someone does.

That poster has asked questions of quite a few players who have since gone on to have pretty decent careers.

Parfitt is currently averaging 22 disposals per game. He is also managing over 5 clearances and is about to play game 100.
This is a guy who had to break into a starting midfield comprised of Dangerfield & Selwood and is starting to push aside Cam Guthrie as our designated clearance winner.

At 24yrs, he is about to embark on the best years of his career and anyone who can sit here with a straight face and say we should trade him away (not directed at you Sire) . . . they are obviously taking the piss.

Surely not, hopefully you’ve just had a bad batch and that’s the funny feeling your having

Can’t see that happening as scott has said sav is still under a fitness cloud, and will be given until an hour before the game to prove his match fitness.

They should just keep him out. He sucks even when he’s fit. He’ll be even worse with a dud ankle.
Look you guys know I'm not a Esava fan... id rather be giving Neale games.. but just wait and see, where talking about Chris Scott here, it wouldn't surprise me

That poster has asked questions of quite a few players who have since gone on to have pretty decent careers.

Parfitt is currently averaging 22 disposals per game. He is also managing over 5 clearances and is about to play game 100.
This is a guy who had to break into a starting midfield comprised of Dangerfield & Selwood and is starting to push aside Cam Guthrie as our designated clearance winner.

At 24yrs, he is about to embark on the best years of his career and anyone who can sit here with a straight face and say we should trade him away (not directed at you Sire) . . . they are obviously taking the piss.

Too often posters on this board scrutinise what a player doesn’t do well. The good far outweighs the bad with Parfitt.

TB asserts we're a defensive team as if it were some immutable truth and so DEK must always play back. Happily things do change.

Art Vandelay questions Parfitt - and thank goodness someone does. When Parfitt is cited as evidence we have great young players coming through I shakes me head. Jack Steven in his pomp was twice the player Parfitt is; of course he was well past his best when he came to us. Brandon needs to get more ball and improve his disposal.

In case i get a lecture about defensive acts, i acknowledge that Parfitt is excellent in that important department.
Yep. If he’s the crown in our youf jewel it is concerning.

The bold is largely my frustration, i could appreciate the defensive work he does, and forgive the low possession count if he made his touches count.

That’s the area of concern and what will ultimately decide if I ever warm to him

Yep. If he’s the crown in our youf jewel it is concerning.

The bold is largely my frustration, i could appreciate the defensive work he does, and forgive the low possession count if he made his touches count.

That’s the area of concern and what will ultimately decide if I ever warm to him

It’s not his defensive traits that are his biggest assets, it’s his work in the contest. He’s second at the club for contested possessions, behind only Danger. And he’s first at the club for clearances. That’s a very impressive feat for a 23 year old.

Danger on light duties at training today with calf strapping. Maybe get him through Monday and rest him v Kangaroos, with Stephens to debut?
CS stated last week something long the lines of that they wont use the 'difficulty' of the opponent as a factor in 'managing' players. So if they think he needs a week off to 'rest', it doesn't matter if its North or Hawth

CS stated last week something long the lines of that they wont use the 'difficulty' of the opponent as a factor in 'managing' players. So if they think he needs a week off to 'rest', it doesn't matter if its North or Hawth
Good attitude to have imo

It’s not his defensive traits that are his biggest assets, it’s his work in the contest. He’s second at the club for contested possessions, behind only Danger. And he’s first at the club for clearances. That’s a very impressive feat for a 23 year old.
I don’t ultimately care about that. To be frank.

• Get more of the ball
  • Use it better.

I don’t ultimately care about that. To be frank.

• Get more of the ball
  • Use it better.
The fact he is so good defensively at stoppages and clearances allows Danger and other mids to be more offensive.

Yes it would be nice if his disposal was cleaner but it isn't horrible and maybe if he was asked to play a different role which afforded him more time he would be more clean.

Take a look at Guthrie for years he had roles that made it very hard for him to get massive poss numbers and when they finally changed his role (due to Parfitt maturing) he let loose and became a very good offensive mid.

Oh and 1 more thing number of poss is worthless i have seen players like Danger get 40 and be completely useless and the same player get 19 and be BOG. e.g look at ESS midfield this year against us multiple players getting mid to high 30s (off memory) and being pathetic.

The fact he is so good defensively at stoppages and clearances allows Danger and other mids to be more offensive.

Yes it would be nice if his disposal was cleaner but it isn't horrible and maybe if he was asked to play a different role which afforded him more time he would be more clean.

Take a look at Guthrie for years he had roles that made it very hard for him to get massive poss numbers and when they finally changed his role (due to Parfitt maturing) he let loose and became a very good offensive mid.

Oh and 1 more thing number of poss is worthless i have seen players like Danger get 40 and be completely useless and the same player get 19 and be BOG. e.g look at ESS midfield this year against us multiple players getting mid to high 30s (off memory) and being pathetic.
I will not excuse his poor ball use. Others in the team are slaughtered for it, he gets a pass for it on here for some inexplicable reason.

A lot of these poor disposals are after the contest, in general play. Something Dangerfield was lambasted for in the 2017 finals series, and has for years since. Something that a few of our defenders are regularly pasted for.

Yet Brandon is let off for it on here because he tackles well and is good in the contest. God our standards for young players are bloody low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dud is a harsh take , he has all the tolls but just can’t put them together

He’s still a capable player and there are far far worse players than him in the AFL system if we are being honest
Doesn’t have football nous and a football mind. Not his fault, but why does he continues to get games? A Scott fav and the coach is stubborn. That’s where it sits.

I will not excuse his poor ball use. Others in the team are slaughtered for it, he gets a pass for it on here for some inexplicable reason.

A lot of these poor disposals are after the contest, in general play. Something Dangerfield was lambasted for in the 2017 finals series, and has for years since. Something that a few of our defenders are regularly pasted for.

Yet Brandon is let off for it on here because he tackles well and is good in the contest. God our standards for young players are bloody low.
He’s the only one playing a defensive role in the middle …he gets a pass for me and is actually becoming very good there this year

Guthrie use to do the same thing before multiple bust up on his shoulder …someone has to do it

Doesn’t have football nous and a football mind. Not his fault, but why does he continues to get games? A Scott fav and the coach is stubborn. That’s where it sits.
Sunk cost fallacy …I agree he shouldn’t be playing it’s frustrating that his good moments actually help the team but his bad moments are so frequent it’s becoming irrelevant

I just hope their coach doesn’t decide to pull on the boots this week. Smashed us in the middle quite a few times..
Sam Mitchell doesn’t get the recognition that he deserved as a player I think. Definitely in the Gaz junior, Judd, hodge level ..
A very good player but for mine nowhere near those that are mentioned

Be good if we see Lewis v De Koning. Two very promising talents paired against one another.
Hmm not sure about Lewis. Has a Sam Weideman feel about him. Will play a few good games here and there.. but is a bit bog average mostly.

Hmm not sure about Lewis. Has a Sam Weideman feel about him. Will play a few good games here and there.. but is a bit bog average mostly.

He has shown far more than what Weideman ever has.

Lewis is currently averaging 3 goals & 7 marks per game. He is also a terrific contested mark. At 199cm/101kg, he is now beginning to put it all together and it would be a great test for De Koning but I suspect we are going to need Blicavs to spend a bit of time helping out.

Weid has never done what Lewis has. Lewis is averaging 3 goals and 3 contested marks a game. His dominance has been huge, kicked 3 with 6 contested marks round 1 kicked 5 round 2 and should’ve had 7 round 4.

He has shown far more than what Weideman ever has.

Lewis is currently averaging 3 goals & 7 marks per game. He is also a terrific contested mark. At 199cm/101kg, he is now beginning to put it all together and it would be a great test for De Koning but I suspect we are going to need Blicavs to spend a bit of time helping out.
Lewis is average.

Re Parfitt and contested ball, I have observed that Holmes is quite prepared to get in and under and that Danger, especially last week, was doing a lot of Selwood type bullocking work. Bews, Atkins, Close also. Brandon is not alone.

Scott's suggestion that they have a bias to take a risk with young players and trial them before they might be 'ready' is unconvincing. His bias is toward winning next Saturday rather than improving the team in the Big Picture sense. This is one variable in the H and A v Finals conundrum that is our record over the last 11 (?) years.

It doesn't help the we're forever drafting fellows who can't play straight away because of injury - Smedts, Lang, Cooper S, Willis, Conway, Kroeger, Cocky sort of, who else?

I just hope their coach doesn’t decide to pull on the boots this week. Smashed us in the middle quite a few times..
Sam Mitchell doesn’t get the recognition that he deserved as a player I think. Definitely in the Gaz junior, Judd, hodge level ..
Gaz has his own level above that. But agree Mitchell was underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back