Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Mon April 18 3:20 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think we could rest Stanley against north for one pure reason.
Blicavs needs to play on Larkey
I’m hoping for a debutant and good weather as I’m heading over for the weekend and game

I mean its more for next weeks thread but goldy basically plays as a fwd now so its young xerri in the ruck so you could leave blitz back and use sav and neale as rucks (if you rested stanley). It wouldbe brave though. But i want to manage stanley so we dont cook him.

Danger on light duties at training today with calf strapping. Maybe get him through Monday and rest him v Kangaroos, with Stephens to debut?

Id give him both games off if injured hes too important to risk.

From the presser:

Scott on Team Selection...​

No one should make the assumption that when we lodge our team, that's the team that's going to play because it's got virtually nothing to do with gamesmanship or tactical issues, and virtually everything to do with the fact that we need to lodge a team but we're not certain as to what that's going to be.

Our policy, and it's not every team's policy, [is] to give our players up until the last minute, and for us, that's an hour before the game so if we have guys that are a 10% chance of playing we tend to pick them knowing that it's unlikely but we don't want to not pick them and have them come up and be forced not to play them.

Scott on the Forward Line...​

We always considered Jeremy [Cameron] this preseason to be a bit of a new player for us.

We had a really truncated pre-season last year. We didn't get our whole squad back until mid to late January, so he was a new player into our system that didn't get much chance to build some cohesion before the season started, and then he got injured. I think he played 12 games but we looked at it as seven or eight of those were games where he was really primed and ready to play well.

We were always optimistic that with a full pre-season this year and those games under his belt last year in combination with Tom Hawkins, we thought we'd get better down there. Tyson Stengle has added something to us, Gryan Miers coming back has obviously helped, we think Pat (Dangerfield) will play forward at times. I find it difficult to assess where you're at at any one point in time suffice to say we're optimistic about the cohesion and effectiveness of that forward group into the season.

We think it's going well now and should get better.

Scott on Brandan Parfitt's Milestone...​

We always had high hopes for Brandan, he's probably a good example of a player that came into our system, [and] played pretty much from the early days.

We found a way to force him into our team because we were so optimistic about the player he could be. I think it was about his fourth game, maybe four or five, where he did a bad hamstring and missed eight weeks. He's had a little bit of that through the early part of his career, which you don't deliberately do but I am of the view that it helps build resilience within players and we think he's come through some of those physical challenges, and not only now is he a crucial part of our team but he's at 100 games which makes you a pretty experienced player.

He's an experienced young player and every club wants those.

Bonus bits:​

Tom Stewart: It was short-term. The feedback I got from the doctors is that it was just really bad timing. 12 hours earlier or 12 hours later and he would have been fine and that's the feedback I've got is that he's recovered quickly and he's ready to go.

Joel Selwood: They'd all rather play and that's what we want from them. We're not asking them to put their hand up to sit out but Joel had been a little bit crook as well - it wasn't an acute gastro thing like Tom and it certainly wasn't any covid issue, but that combination of factors convinced us it was a good decision (to rest him) and it would have been a good decision if we lost the game in our opinion.

Esava Ratugolea: [We're] giving him a few more days. We've still got some confidence that we're only Friday now, by Monday he'll be a good chance. But again, for us it's not necessarily a binary decision that he's right so he plays or he's not, so he doesn't, there are a few more things given we're only at Round 5 that we need to consider with a younger, developing player. We want him in such physical shape that he can perform really well as opposed to just getting through.

That sounds like late changes to me.

Not a chance.
You don’t rob Peter to pay Paul.

We are a defence first team.

And geez, he’s played 4 games.
He looks very good. Leave de koning where he is.

Yes and no. I agree for now leave him in defence settle him in one spot while he finds his feet at afl level.
But i get where the other poster is coming from all the data tells us its not hard to get top line kpd late in the draft but its very hard to get top line kpf later in drafts so if he shows the same ability at both ends you make him a KPF long term. But not now.

Like 99.9% of people, we want to see a debutant and don’t care when it is. Unless it’s finals.
Put me in the 0.1%
Debutants I only want to see when they’ve earned it, and deservedly replace someone.

Put me in the 0.1%
Debutants I only want to see when they’ve earned it, and deservedly replace someone.
Misunderstood my comment. It’s if a player deserves a game, in reply to a poster not wanting any debutants against the hawks because it’s such a big game.
But I agree with your comment, I don’t want to just gift game. Hence my dislike for Sav for years

Danger on light duties at training today with calf strapping. Maybe get him through Monday and rest him v Kangaroos, with Stephens to debut?
Rest him Monday. Don’t want to have him battling all year. Take it from an old bloke with calf issues. 😢

Misunderstood my comment. It’s if a player deserves a game, in reply to a poster not wanting any debutants against the hawks because it’s such a big game.
But I agree with your comment, I don’t want to just gift game. Hence my dislike for Sav for years

Sav has got the bar so low you could stub your toe on it shuffling your feet.

Jack Steven was another gifted games on zero output.

Sav has got the bar so low you could stub your toe on it shuffling your feet.

Jack Steven was another gifted games on zero output.
Jack Steven had years of AFL standard output, that he failed here does not equate to being gifted games.

Extrapolating his 16.4 and 3.8 and 2.67 for disp, tackles and clearances given 2020 had shortened matches and we get 19.68, 4.56 and 3.2.

That’s better output than our best young midfielder…

Jack Steven had years of AFL standard output, that he failed here does not equate to being gifted games.

Extrapolating his 16.4 and 3.8 and 2.67 for disp, tackles and clearances given 2020 had shortened matches and we get 19.68, 4.56 and 3.2.

That’s better output than our best young midfielder…

His use of the ball was very ordinary imo.

To me he was a poor player in the GFC colours, and didn't justify selection. He was picked on past achievement rather than current form.

Edit: I've taken this OT. Sorry!

His use of the ball was very ordinary imo.
That differs from the player I've subtly compared him to how exactly?
Higgins and Steven have been absolutely hounded on here for butchering the footy, and more broadly so have Bews, Kolo, Blicavs in defence.

Yet lil' Brandon is seen as our shining light for young players, and he butchers the footy just as much (and doesn't find it anywhere near enough). But is rated because he's defensively minded and tackles. Low standards on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That differs from the player I've subtly compared him to how exactly?
Higgins and Steven have been absolutely hounded on here for butchering the footy, and more broadly so have Bews, Kolo, Blicavs in defence.

Yet lil' Brandon is seen as our shining light for young players, and he butchers the footy just as much (and doesn't find it anywhere near enough). But is rated because he's defensively minded and tackles. Low standards on here.

Haven't suggested a difference, and am yet to be persuaded either way re: Parfitt.

Anyhow, let's hope each of the 22 picked to play the Hawks are at the top of their game.

TB asserts we're a defensive team as if it were some immutable truth and so DEK must always play back. Happily things do change.

Art Vandelay questions Parfitt - and thank goodness someone does. When Parfitt is cited as evidence we have great young players coming through I shakes me head. Jack Steven in his pomp was twice the player Parfitt is; of course he was well past his best when he came to us. Brandon needs to get more ball and improve his disposal.

In case i get a lecture about defensive acts, i acknowledge that Parfitt is excellent in that important department.

Haven't suggested a difference, and am yet to be persuaded either way re: Parfitt.

Anyhow, let's hope each of the 22 picked to play the Hawks are at the top of their game.
The point I am making is that draft v trade seems to be the deciding factor in how much people like a player and how patient they are willing to be.
There is no difference between the two with regards to ball use. Higgins and Steven as trades/FA have been absolutely slaughtered for it. Stephen Wells drafting someone who does the same is overlooked though. And he's responsible for all 3 being here.

There's double standards at play purely because we trade for players and there's this (overblown) perception we don't play youth. No, we play youth that are good enough. Carlton on the rebuild via the draft have more players in their side this week traded in than we do!

Williams, Young, Docherty, Hewett, Newnes, Martin, Pittonet, Cerra, Setterfield, Kennedy, Newman, Fogarty.

vs

Smith, Stengle, Cameron, Stanley, Dangerfield, Tuohy, Dahlhaus, Higgins.

23 and under:

Durdin, Parks, Walsh, Cottrell, Dow, Cerra, O'Brien, De Koning, Fogarty, Young, Fisher

vs

Holmes, Miers, Henry, Stengle, Close, Ratugolea, Parfitt, Z.Guthrie

So we have less traded in players on this week's teamsheet and not a lot less 23 and under. Yet one is lambasted by fans for competing via topping up and the other is praised for hitting the draft.

The one that's lambasted gives its fans finals every season, the other is booking holidays at Mt Hotham each September.

tl;dr: Perceptions and bias' cloud judgments.

Iv got a funny feeling Esava will play as our no 1 ruck and they will rest Stanley and get him ready for the North game...
Can’t see that happening as scott has said sav is still under a fitness cloud, and will be given until an hour before the game to prove his match fitness.

They should just keep him out. He sucks even when he’s fit. He’ll be even worse with a dud ankle.

You can see Dempsey has a decent tank even from his pre-draft highlights reel. He has a great leap, agility, clean hands and is a good kick. He gets the ball. No doubt he lacks the body strength to play extended AFL yet, but he would surely be up to a game or two in the AFL when circumstances permit.

Scot on Ollie Dempsey & Generation Next...​

If you're watching the games, you're seeing some things you like from Ollie, but we don't put a ceiling on any of our younger players.

We've got a bias to try and get them in as soon as they're ready, even a little bit prematurely at times depending on the balance of the team. I think it's only natural to take the view that young players that can do it at the VFL level without a full complement of listed players will play even better when they have a full complement of experienced players around them so I think that helps Ollie's case.

But I think to be fair to be everyone, there's a group of eight or nine [players], that's why I try to avoid talking about [individuals], there are a group of guys that are all a chance to come up and play AFL footy sometime soon.

Scot on Ollie Dempsey & Generation Next...​

If you're watching the games, you're seeing some things you like from Ollie, but we don't put a ceiling on any of our younger players.

We've got a bias to try and get them in as soon as they're ready, even a little bit prematurely at times depending on the balance of the team. I think it's only natural to take the view that young players that can do it at the VFL level without a full complement of listed players will play even better when they have a full complement of experienced players around them so I think that helps Ollie's case.

But I think to be fair to be everyone, there's a group of eight or nine [players], that's why I try to avoid talking about [individuals], there are a group of guys that are all a chance to come up and play AFL footy sometime soon.
Paraphrase: I’m tellin ya nuffin

Dud is a harsh take , he has all the tolls but just can’t put them together

He’s still a capable player and there are far far worse players than him in the AFL system if we are being honest

I don't think that DAKP technically called Ratugolea a 'dud', rather they said that Ratugolea has a dud ankle

TB asserts we're a defensive team as if it were some immutable truth and so DEK must always play back. Happily things do change.

Art Vandelay questions Parfitt - and thank goodness someone does. When Parfitt is cited as evidence we have great young players coming through I shakes me head. Jack Steven in his pomp was twice the player Parfitt is; of course he was well past his best when he came to us. Brandon needs to get more ball and improve his disposal.

In case i get a lecture about defensive acts, i acknowledge that Parfitt is excellent in that important department.
Some of Parfitt's kicks might be from clearance..He needs to do better with this skill. He's a mid 2nd round pick and working out great really compared with his contemporaries.
Jack Steven wasn't seen in a pack winning a clearance or kicking longer than 25 metres sideways his entire run with the cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back