Resource Geelong YouTube highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

wouldn't try talking to him Cat Attack as I have done so on many occasions in the past and it just frustrates you more and more.

It is his opinion though and no matter who you are...it's respected but I just can't understand how someone cannot see Ablett as a great leap. I mean forget the main highlights that are on YouTube as those are the same ones that are played over and over again on TV...it's those truly sensational marks he took that are no longer on tape but have been photographed.
That attempted mark he went for back in 1988 is still to this day one of the finest leaps of all-time, he was literally walking on air and it takes a phenomenal jump to leap onto a pack of guys 6ft tall and Gazza himself was just 6ft 1.

Hopefully once I get this Gazza video completed and posted on YouTube, I will finally convert you.

22676.jpg

Bloke could jump.

Here is just a short sample from part one of my Gazza video but you can see some of those marks there are incredible but some of the other's I have are even more breathtaking.

Truly wonderful player in motion and I haven't quite seen a player jump backwards onto his opponents shoulders and take on of the finest marks you'd ever like to see.

[YOUTUBE]FY__qnajZfI[/YOUTUBE]

22676.jpg

Bloke could jump.

Oh I'm not denying he could jump. Lots of guys could. What made Gazza different was that he wanted to jump all the time.

There are heaps of players that could jump like gazza. Just no one used to get into position as often as he did. And he was almost selfish in doing it. If Menzel only ever went into position to allow himself to fly at the ball every time we'd probably start discussing the point of selfishness and that the club needs to talk to him.

That was my earlier point. I dont think he lost his leap. He just slowed down and couldn't get into those positions. And I rate Modra a better leap.

wouldn't try talking to him Cat Attack as I have done so on many occasions in the past and it just frustrates you more and more.

It is his opinion though and no matter who you are...it's respected but I just can't understand how someone cannot see Ablett as a great leap. I mean forget the main highlights that are on YouTube as those are the same ones that are played over and over again on TV...it's those truly sensational marks he took that are no longer on tape but have been photographed.
That attempted mark he went for back in 1988 is still to this day one of the finest leaps of all-time, he was literally walking on air and it takes a phenomenal jump to leap onto a pack of guys 6ft tall and Gazza himself was just 6ft 1.

Hopefully once I get this Gazza video completed and posted on YouTube, I will finally convert you.

No need bobby. I saw him live. Over and over.
Are you talking about the Melbourne game in 88? If so I was at that game and what made the mark great was the importance of the time in the game. Walking on air??

No matter what vid you put together it will never be as good as the one that played on loop in the Geelong Hotel in the early nineties.

It was about an hour of non stop footage. No matter how often you saw it you just did that ablett giggle with the stuff he would get away with.

I almost got a copy of that vid. Stoneham also had it and I went to see him at his cafe to try and get a copy. He said he did have it and he'd try to find it. But he never did.

Most of that footage was lost in the fire at channel 7 I think. Either way. Most of it is gone. Unless someone knows who has that video.

No need bobby. I saw him live. Over and over.
Are you talking about the Melbourne game in 88? If so I was at that game and what made the mark great was the importance of the time in the game. Walking on air??

No matter what vid you put together it will never be as good as the one that played on loop in the Geelong Hotel in the early nineties.

It was about an hour of non stop footage. No matter how often you saw it you just did that ablett giggle with the stuff he would get away with.

I almost got a copy of that vid. Stoneham also had it and I went to see him at his cafe to try and get a copy. He said he did have it and he'd try to find it. But he never did.

Most of that footage was lost in the fire at channel 7 I think. Either way. Most of it is gone. Unless someone knows who has that video.
That video has been around on torrent sites for five years.

Really? All I've seen are the youtube ones which are complete crap.

Really? All I've seen are the youtube ones which are complete crap.
If you are talking about the bootlegged highlight video that came out of Channel 7 and had his 1982-1991 highlights, then yes that is the one that is broken up into parts and on YouTube. Don't know how that could be called "complete crap".

The quality of the images are crap.
We used to watch the footage on a huge projector screen without a problem

The quality of the images are crap.
We used to watch the footage on a huge projector screen without a problem
Ah yeah. I see what you mean. Well yes it's in better quality in the video file, just over 1GB from memory. But obviously it has been compressed and is from a VHS so don't expect HD-like images!

There are heaps of players that could jump like gazza. Just no one used to get into position as often as he did. And he was almost selfish in doing it. If Menzel only ever went into position to allow himself to fly at the ball every time we'd probably start discussing the point of selfishness and that the club needs to talk to him.

That was my earlier point. I dont think he lost his leap. He just slowed down and couldn't get into those positions. And I rate Modra a better leap.

maybe but I'd like to know which players you believe could jump as high as what Gazza could?
Pause the video at the 1:31 mark and tell me of another player that could consistently get up to those heights?

A good as what Menzel is at attempting screamers, he doesn't possess the same jump prowess as Ablett in his prime and has yet taken a contendor for mark of the year (classical mark) so I don't think he's a good comparison just yet.

Modra was a great jumper but he didn't get up like Ablett.
Brett Burton, Darrell White were better jumpers than Modra.

Here you go Bobby.
First youtube clip I even looked at !

I watched it and then watched yours for the first time to get some callibration.
I still dont agree with you. Modra's jumps were almost long jumps.

[YOUTUBE]qZIiabMSlBw[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is just a short sample from part one of my Gazza video but you can see some of those marks there are incredible but some of the other's I have are even more breathtaking.

Truly wonderful player in motion and I haven't quite seen a player jump backwards onto his opponents shoulders and take on of the finest marks you'd ever like to see.

[youtube]FY__qnajZfI[/youtube]

Great work Bobby! Have seen most of that footage in other videos and it always makes me smile:D Gaz was alright,wasnt he?!!
And i agree that his leap in his earlier days was as good as anyones, he seemed to lose a little bit when he bulked up to play permanent fullforward.
He still took some classic hangers from that time onwards though!
Great memories!:)

[YOUTUBE]FY__qnajZfI[/YOUTUBE]

Thats a sensational video. Jeez, i rekon i got misty eyes watching Big Gaz there.

Hearing how players are such champions now-days by every bloody person and mark or week sometimes is really nothing to write home about, you forget just how good some players were. Ablett Snr from the 80's would be a $5M a year player now i rekon...easily $3m above Gaz Jnr. The guy was just a freak....but a consistent freak thats what made it so much better

Some pics make players seem higher than they really are (thinking of you Jesa) and going on about Modra...well the guy had great timing, but his jumps were really mostly assisted off the shoulder blades and he pushed with his feet a lot and rode the shoulders, making players hunch forward making him look higher....Ablett Snr was up and had the ball..THEN he landed on the shoulders. He's clearly a foot at least above anyone else un-aided.

Unless players in the 80's couldnt jump much...but wholly crap he was a sensation mark...and honeslty, his freakish ability to find the goals overshadowed his vertical leap, timing, speed and strength.

The most tragic thing about footy history or timing is the fact Ablett Snr was 15 years before his time.

Finally finished the third installment of my 2011 finals highlights.

[YOUTUBE]IqD_znDmlh0[/YOUTUBE]

Chose the music about two months back before it was played everywhere, so it's unfortunately a bit boring now. Couldn't be bothered changing it as I timed the opening scenes to it.

Finally finished the third installment of my 2011 finals highlights.

[youtube]IqD_znDmlh0[/youtube]

Chose the music about two months back before it was played everywhere, so it's unfortunately a bit boring now. Couldn't be bothered changing it as I timed the opening scenes to it.

haha bloody unreal:thumbsu:

like the music myself as well

Thanks Jim. I finally figured out how to embed! Here is the top 10 premiership plays.

[YOUTUBE]3kHjtMLwbN4[/YOUTUBE]

And the too old too slow too good 2011 video.

[YOUTUBE]PEMpjShNmek[/YOUTUBE]

Good work SJ :thumbsu: About bloody time :p
I had not seen a lot of those angles. Some good slo-mo work too.

And play up as well I gather,story going around Ronnie's favorite trick on the piss was to drop lit cigarettes in peoples suit coat pockets.

That was the story about Jacko when he was at Geelong too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Geelong YouTube highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back