No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell gets a ‘good bloke’ pass.

And as for Sicily......he think he’s Carl Ditterich??

Man that was dumb.
Sicily would need to double his IQ to reach dumb

I wonder what Schwass wants done that isn't being done?

Step 1.
Men are often raised to believe seeking help is weak or unmanly - this type of wrong-headed cultural socialization will take generations to turn around.

Step 2.

Perhaps for the issue to be taken seriously, which i don't think it is. It is the biggest killer for people under 30 in this country yet requires sweet FA funding in comparison to more palatable conditions/diseases.

Not to mention that due to the fear of copycat attempts, reporting on suicides is often secretive and glossed over.

I think it begins with more support, especially through the courts post divorce. A time where men are often made to feel worthless and and up believing everyone is better off without them (leading back to my previous point).

You mention "especially" is this demographic represented higher in suicides? I thought the suicide rate for teens was a lot higher than divorcees.

I can't believe i am agreeing with Robbo in regards to Burton getting let off, i feel sick. I can't explain how much i hate this man.

How Thomas can be up for 4 weeks and Burton get off does not sit right with me at all. Both chose to bump, both had other options, especially Burton, both were dangerous and caused a lot of damage.

How people can say Burton didn't mean any malice is ridiculous. What else are your intentions when you choose to bump a player who has the ball?

Perhaps Burton didn't have intent, but he was reckless. He elected to brace and had no regard for the potential consequence. He did have a choice and the decision is inconsistent with how the MRP has approached previous decisions

I can't believe i am agreeing with Robbo in regards to Burton getting let off, i feel sick. I can't explain how much i hate this man.

How Thomas can be up for 4 weeks and Burton get off does not sit right with me at all. Both chose to bump, both had other options, especially Burton, both were dangerous and caused a lot of damage.

How people can say Burton didn't mean any malice is ridiculous. What else are your intentions when you choose to bump a player who has the ball?
See, I saw Burton's and my first thought was, there's another youngin lost to Alistair Clarkson.

You see, all the bumps, the hardness and the thuggery, if he didn't want it it wouldn't have happened. If it isn't a coaching directive to, if you can put your opponent on their arse or take them out of the match to do so without getting rubbed out, I'll be very surprised.

Burton did it, and the bloke went down, and Burton turned; for that slightest of seconds, before he moved on, he looked back and saw what he did, and he wasn't sure he liked the fact that he'd just concussed someone. That he'd done what he was told, and yet it didn't feel right; he'd hurt someone. Of course he moved on - you don't play AFL by contemplating the ethics of following a coaching decision you disagree with - but in that second, he was a 19-20 year old who had just hurt someone and regretted it.

He'll harden up, and he'll do it again, and it won't affect him as much every time he does it; AFL's a tough game. But it's sad to acknowledge that kind of innocence lost, another young man whose inbuilt sense of right and wrong twisted by the game's requirements, or by his coach.

Nah disagree, u’ve been conditioned too much. There are such things as accidents, Lindsay Thomas is thecomplete opposite
I don’t mind that you disagree but what do you disagree on?
What do you mean conditioned too much, is that a response to everyone who may see the game different?

I see it very simply, Burton chose to bump instead of tackle, in the bump he knocked his opponent unconscious, meaning a part of his body hit his opponent in the head.

Him bumping wasn’t an accident he just didn’t do it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Burton didn't have intent, but he was reckless. He elected to brace and had no regard for the potential consequence. He did have a choice and the decision is inconsistent with how the MRP has approached previous decisions

Chook lotto at its best again ..... MRP is like interpretive dance ....

Suicide and suicide ideation not taken seriously?

I think its talked about a lot .... but I honestly reckon most of it is posturing. As I said regional areas have bugger all mental health support services. That goes for marriage councelling as well. Pollies talk big .. but the proof is in the pudding with their dollar spends.

Definitely taken seriously from a medical perspective. Students are drilled to conduct a risk assessment whenever seeing somebody with a history of mental health issues (obviously) or whenever certain red flags appear (social withdrawal, unusual behaviour, etc).

Accessibility (particularly regionally) and sociocultural perception (like you mentioned earlier) are the main issues.

In metro Melbourne though? Lack of help-seeking is a major problem, again, for a variety of reasons.

And as for Sicily......he think he’s Carl Ditterich??

Man that was dumb.
I'm not suggesting to give Sicily a pass. But how ridiculous to label that as serious misconduct while handing out fines for jumper (head) and stomach punches. It's got to be one or the other with all of these acts. The 'one' should be obvious.

It is different to how it’s been the last 5 or so years at the MRP, that doesn’t mean that was right and accidents don’t happen.

It’s about time commonsense came back into the judicial system, consistency would be good from here on in though.

I don’t mind that you disagree but what do you disagree on?
What do you mean conditioned too much, is that a response to everyone who may see the game different?

I see it very simply, Burton chose to bump instead of tackle, in the bump he knocked his opponent unconscious, meaning a part of his body hit his opponent in the head.

Him bumping wasn’t an accident he just didn’t do it right.

The bump is an integral part of the game, there are deliberate acts of violence and accidents.

Lindsay Thomas is deliberate act of violence, Burton is an accident and they’ve been adjudicated that way.

I remember the Gia hit on Koschitzke, it was a head on head clash. That is an accident every day of the week as people just aren’t going to lead with their head and intentionally knock someone out with it.

Sometimes common sense has to make its way into the game.

You mention "especially" is this demographic represented higher in suicides? I thought the suicide rate for teens was a lot higher than divorcees.
The rate from middle to older age bracket substantially increases in males.
Usually through helplessness thanks to the court systems, while dealing with seperation. The tell tale signs of most suicides are they will genuinely believe that everyone is better off without them. Very important to look for that change in character.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why ask a question that you already know the answer to?

I will try at some stage today to find how much money is spent on suicide/prevention or mental health in general compared to other health issues.

We will then see if it’s taken seriously.

As you obviously disagree, why don’t you actually share your thoughts rather than ask rhetorical questions.

The bump is an integral part of the game, there are deliberate acts of violence and accidents.

Lindsay Thomas is deliberate act of violence, Burton is an accident and they’ve been adjudicated that way.

I remember the Gia hit on Koschitzke, it was a head on head clash. That is an accident every day of the week as people just aren’t going to lead with their head and intentionally knock someone out with it.

Sometimes common sense has to make its way into the game.

Respectfully disagree, if you choose to bump you need to take responsibility for your actions.

Burton chose to bump and got Higgins in the head, accidental or not. It’s his responsibility and others to do it better.

The AFL have shot tgenselves in the foot here, they have set a precedent for the rest of the season, which I’m sure they’ll back flip on as more people are concussed.

Why ask a question that you already know the answer to?

I will try at some stage today to find how much money is spent on suicide/prevention or mental health in general compared to other health issues.

We will then see if it’s taken seriously.

As you obviously disagree, why don’t you actually share your thoughts rather than ask rhetorical questions.
so just money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back