No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There’s a very high percentage of suicides that occur in an impulsive period ie: 1-24 hours.

Is that right, mental health people??
No idea, tragic whenever it happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what Schwass wants done that isn't being done?

Step 1.
Men are often raised to believe seeking help is weak or unmanly - this type of wrong-headed cultural socialization will take generations to turn around.

Step 2.

Last edited:
I think he just wants to raise awareness.

Step one - is essentially what he wants to change. It is one of the reasons why males are 3-4 times more likely to take their lives.

I think it begins with more support, especially through the courts post divorce. A time where men are often made to feel worthless and and up believing everyone is better off without them (leading back to my previous point).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Things have changed a lot (for the better) since my parents split 18 years ago. Back then it seems like it was pretty much "mum gets custody and dad gets every second weekend". Now it's a lot closer to 50/50 which is great. I know my dad was quite depressed when he rarely saw us in the beginning, until my brother decided to move in with him.

Step one - is essentially what he wants to change. It is one of the reasons why males are 3-4 times more likely to take their lives.

I think it begins with more support, especially through the courts post divorce. A time where men are often made to feel worthless and and up believing everyone is better off without them (leading back to my previous point).

Around 2,000 Australians take their own lives every year, affecting families, friends, work places and communities.

Males account for 78 per cent of these deaths. It is also suggested elsewhere, that a similar numbers of deaths occur as a result of inexplicable single motor vehicle accidents.

http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media/reporting-suicide/facts-and-stats

Previous research by Professor Pierre Baume, Cantor and Slater identified that 70% of suicides followed a relationship breakdown.

Suicide rates are higher among divorced men - and lowest among those who are still married. Single men fall in between.

Number of male suicides per year, Australia, 2007 to 2016

I wonder what Schwass wants done that isn't being done?

Step 1.
Men are often raised to believe seeking help is weak or unmanly - this type of wrong-headed cultural socialization will take generations to turn around.

Step 2.

Awareness is great and all, but there's plenty of very aware people who can't access the help they need because the public system doesn't provide anything beyond emergency resources (prevention be damned) and the private system is prohibitively expensive. Deepest condolences to the Yarran clan, they've collectively dealt with things nobody should ever have to deal with. Rant over.

Awareness is great and all, but there's plenty of very aware people who can't access the help they need because the public system doesn't provide anything beyond emergency resources (prevention be damned) and the private system is prohibitively expensive. Deepest condolences to the Yarran clan, they've collectively dealt with things nobody should ever have to deal with. Rant over.

Also NON existent in remote/regional areas ..... a phone call just doesn't cut it.

did not take that as a rant at all - sounded more like compassion-based info to me

Has one player ever had so much emphasis on the rules as this bloke, he either can not orchestrate a bump correctly or he just has intent to cause hurt.

The changing of the rule for his slide on Gary Rowen is a blight on the game, sure, ban the slide tackle as he did it but not players who attack the ground ball and now don't get protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back