No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

3-7 to finish the season last year, 2 of those 3 wins were over West Coast and North.
Just scraped over against North and Eagles.

Could easily have lost both games even while they were struggling.

Best time to play * is the end of the year.

I didn't watch the game, but the Essendon media cartel are going MENTAL against the umpires.

Supposedly one of the most one side matches of all time hahaha. A dozen 'match defining' decisions.

Was it that bad?
I like to think I can be neutral on this question because I hate the Cats almost as much as *

* got reamed by the umps and it was beautiful. But * were horrendous in the second half

* are playing Geelong into form. Great.

Dons played em into form. Awesome.
Good.

Before our respective wins:
  • St Kilda beat North by ~40 points
  • Brisbane beat Richmond by ~120 points
  • Adelaide beat West Coast by ~100 points
  • GWS beat Geelong in Geelong
  • Richmond beat Adelaide in Adelaide
The bulk of our wins have been against teams coming off strong wins. Let them think they're back in form and underestimate us.

Darren Jarman has that wrapped up for 1997 alone (prelim and esp GF). Kicked 5 in 98 GF too, which from memory a fair chunk were in last quarter. But to kick 5 goals in the last quarter 1997 to win their first flag is prob the best thing any footballer has ever done in the history of the game
5 minutes of Stewy Dew?

While I dislike Geelong, we have a healthy rivalry and the games are usually amazing. When it comes to Essendon, I utterly deplore them and everything they stand for.

They've beaten one top 8 side so far this season (Bulldogs, in 8th) and you'd think they were smashing top 2 sides by 50 points by all the bleating from their supporters online.

And yeah, the umpires savaged them in the third, but Hind also picked out Stewart directly with a kick, their key players were fluffing marks, and the wheels came off the cart in terms of pressure rating. Not worthy to be top 8 yet again.

I didn't watch the game, but the Essendon media cartel are going MENTAL against the umpires.

Supposedly one of the most one side matches of all time hahaha. A dozen 'match defining' decisions.

Was it that bad?

One of the things that disappoints me about this forum is the infantile way people carry on about umpiring. Sure, we have problems, some interpretations of rules are very difficult to understand, I see decisions quite regularly that puzzle me, but I draw the line at this childish suggestion that umpires are favoring one team over another.

I very rarely go into match threads; you cannot go three posts without umpires being mentioned. Halfway into the 1st quarter, one team has 5 free kicks, the other 3, and apparently that's irrefutable evidence that the umpires want a particular team to win :rolleyes:

Darren Jarman has that wrapped up for 1997 alone (prelim and esp GF). Kicked 5 in 98 GF too, which from memory a fair chunk were in last quarter. But to kick 5 goals in the last quarter 1997 to win their first flag is prob the best thing any footballer has ever done in the history of the game
I cannot believe that Jarman didn't win at least one Norm Smith Medal in those Grand Finals.

I'm not a betting man but last night was an easy value tip to get .
And it was great watching * implode in another 'Sheedy' themed game .

Not sure why people over react to one game either . Next week was always going to be hard . Won't be easier or harder because of last night.
And it's how we should want it too .

Gotta worry about the Eagles first , no easy games in this comp .

One of the things that disappoints me about this forum is the infantile way people carry on about umpiring. Sure, we have problems, some interpretations of rules are very difficult to understand, I see decisions quite regularly that puzzle me, but I draw the line at this childish suggestion that umpires are favoring one team over another.

I very rarely go into match threads; you cannot go three posts without umpires being mentioned. Halfway into the 1st quarter, one team has 5 free kicks, the other 3, and apparently that's irrefutable evidence that the umpires want a particular team to win :rolleyes:
If that were the hawks getting a run of decisions equivalent to the third quarter then I'd understand why people are spitting their beer.

Umpires had howlers that lead directly to goals.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think last night was a good result. It wasn’t an impressive performance despite what the scoreline suggests. I’d much rather play them after they’ve had a win versus coming off 3 straight losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it that bad?
I watched that third quarter

It was the deliberate rushed behind that got everyone worked up. I dunno, i felt the AFL was pretty clear that they expect players to try and keep the ball in the field of play where they can. The Geelong players just stopped chasing the Essendon guy as they knew he was going to rush it. They did their windmill-style free kick appeal and the umpire was in a position where he's just seen a guy walk the ball over the goal line while the two nearest opponents weren't even chasing him.

It was classic Geelong playing umpire-ball instead of football. Everyone hates it but I think the Essendon guy was a moron. Didn't try and keep the ball in and didn't try to disguise it. But as always - the vitriol goes to the umpire instead of the player.

Then there were a few HTB decisions where Essendon were copping it a bit rough. The whistle blew quickly in Geelong's favour and slowly in geelong's favour. Prob 2 or 3 of those.

But again - Essendon fans won't mention their players that dropped easy marks in the forward line. Or the 4 or 5 times that Geelong had multiple players free in the forward line taking uncontested marks. They won't mention the mistakes their own players made - only that of the umpires.

And foxfooty are fueling the umpires obsession like crazy now - they know people get worked up and it gets the clicks.

The umpire obsession is out of control.

Yesterday Logan MacDonald missed a kick after the siren. Didn't even score. That literally cost Sydney the game. Almost zero coverage of that and little to no discussion of that on BigFooty.

Last night, Essendon lost by 8 goals and people are losing their shit over a deliberate rushed behind decision in the third quarter. It did not cost them game. But all the socials are saturated with discussions of umpiring on this game.

People can say what they like about the umpiring in the AFL but the fact is Geelong exploits the lack of umpiring intelligence every time. It is part of their game plan. They spend so much time throwing their arms around screaming for frees that makes me wonder if there should be a stat for it. It is a cynical but it works. OK, Essendon dropped their bundle last night but I can think of a line ball game that Geelong won with their carry on. Their first game against Carlton was also a disgraceful exploitation of the fact that AFL umpires are as thick as pea soup and are easily exploited for competitive advantage. It cost Carlton 4 points. It will happen again and it will happen to us. Then what will people say. The AFL needs to clean this up because it is such a big question about the integrity of the game that a team can be so influential in the decisions those thick heads make. AFL umpiring needs a massive cultural overhaul and they need to look at the types of people they recruit. Maybe IQ tests and seemingly, most of them are absolute saps. If you look at something like the NFL the blokes out there are as gritty as the players. No BS.

Don't tell me poor Essendon lost due to the umpires... even though I don't believe it. I know their supporters do so suck shit Essendon. Hope the umpires do a number on u for the rest of the year :p

er... the free kick count itself is not what people are complaining about. If those 5 free kicks should have been 13 and the 3 free kicks should have been 0 then the team with 5 free kicks is getting reamed.

It's like a street race where the police only pull over one team for speeding.

The umpire obsession is out of control.

Yesterday Logan MacDonald missed a kick after the siren. Didn't even score. That literally cost Sydney the game. Almost zero coverage of that and little to no discussion of that on BigFooty.

Last night, Essendon lost by 8 goals and people are losing their shit over a deliberate rushed behind decision in the third quarter. It did not cost them game. But all the socials are saturated with discussions of umpiring on this game.
Part of the low coverage of McDonald’s kick could have been the radio coverage cutting away quickly to next game.
Also wasn’t he outside of 50? Actually I remember radio commentators wondering why the umpire approached him pre kick (to remind him not to arc) and saying the umpire shouldn’t be doing that it’s on the player to know. But then maybe the umpire had spooked him and that’s why he ****ed up the kick

On that, are we the only pro sport to umpire players on their individual technique? Buddys natural ark was a joke, and that was when he played for us!

Ben Brown is allowed to milk an extra 5 seconds with his ridiculous run up, but any other player tries it and it’s not allowed.
Amateurs

I think last night was a good result. It wasn’t an impressive performance despite what the scoreline suggests. I’d much rather play them after they’ve had a win versus coming off 3 straight losses.
2nd half was bruise free. They were getting very easy goals. Think they would be expecting us to bring a fair bit of heat next week particularly if we win today knowing we could be knocking on the door of the 8. They won't be underestimating us but there quite arrogant generally when they have had a win or two and think they would only need to play half decent to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back