No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting. Two sides to it, first is that it may finally release the chokehold that JB, Bristle and the old boys club have over footy broadcasting - an objectively good thing. Second is that we may be robbed of the type of lineup we had at stages this year with Matt Hill, Jack Riewoldt and Jordan Lewis - an objectively bad thing.

I'm not sure if I like it. I hope they can balance it with quality. God love Eddie Betts, he's a great bloke, I've had the chance to chat to him, and he came to my school with one of those footy outreach programs... but he is not a natural broadcaster. I know that few of the Indigenous guys are.

We'll wait and see.

So the likes of Shaun Burgoyne, Abby Holmes, etc, aren't good enough?

So the likes of Shaun Burgoyne, Abby Holmes, etc, aren't good enough?
Silk is great, Abby could probably be used more if anything. I never minded Daisy Pearce.

If anything I'm grateful it'll break up calling units like Dermott, Healy and Derwayne Russell but sad that it might break up better calling units who are all white and male.

Not the end of the world though.

This is interesting. Two sides to it, first is that it may finally release the chokehold that JB, Bristle and the old boys club have over footy broadcasting - an objectively good thing. Second is that we may be robbed of the type of lineup we had at stages this year with Matt Hill, Jack Riewoldt and Jordan Lewis - an objectively bad thing.

I'm not sure if I like it. I hope they can balance it with quality. God love Eddie Betts, he's a great bloke, I've had the chance to chat to him, and he came to my school with one of those footy outreach programs... but he is not a natural broadcaster. I know that few of the Indigenous guys are.

We'll wait and see.

Never a fan of these sorts of 'quotas', entirely for the reason you've stated. We're now more likely to miss out on having the best commentators call games together because of it.

Also, it isn't like this isn't already happening.
Silk, Eddie, Abbey etc.
I may also be in the minority but I LOVE the AFLW player (whose name escapes me) that is on Bounce and does the boundary riding sometimes. The real bogan sounding one.

Silk is great, Abby could probably be used more if anything. I never minded Daisy Pearce.

If anything I'm grateful it'll break up calling units like Dermott, Healy and Derwayne Russell but sad that it might break up better calling units who are all white and male.

Not the end of the world though.

The concentration of media personalities into good teams and bad teams has nothing to do with diversity or the lack thereof. It has to do with focus group feedback and rating results. The good callers end up together because it drives ratings on the great games. The bad callers get together because they get the worst games and can't make it any worse with how crap they are.

Where do you introduce new personalities? On the crap games where good or bad don't matter. So Underwood, for example, goes onto the crap games, does a crap job and can stay. Name the last new caller introduced to the Sunday games that had any talent at all, and didn't sound like a tortured cat.

Anthony Hudson made his way to the top on radio. Maybe that's where they'll get the TV bench, but I expect the contracts are tied up there quite tightly as well, just like our midfielders all getting five year extensions to keep Tasmania away.

Never a fan of these sorts of 'quotas', entirely for the reason you've stated. We're now more likely to miss out on having the best commentators call games together because of it.

Silk, Eddie, Abbey etc.
I may also be in the minority but I LOVE the AFLW player (whose name escapes me) that is on Bounce and does the boundary riding sometimes. The real bogan sounding one.
Ruby Schleicher

We'll wait and see.

Tony Armstrong will be getting a few phone calls

After listening to all the stuff the Pendlebury does to keep his body in the shape it is, I get the feeling he followers the Cristiano Ronaldo diet and exercise routine.

Gilbert is a good man and played more footy than me. I listened!
What I meant was that he never seemed like he was comfortable with doing it, they just used him for it because he was indigenous and already on a panel show. Loved him on the Marngrook.

It's fine if everyone's voluntarily doing it, not getting head hunted and talked into it, but I remember when 7 were using Gilbert McAdam for a while it felt like this every time he was on screen.

View attachment 2065273

I felt for him as he was good value on Marngrook but was deer in the headlights on 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After listening to all the stuff the Pendlebury does to keep his body in the shape it is, I get the feeling he followers the Cristiano Ronaldo diet and exercise routine.
but with a basketball background.

Silk, Eddie, Abbey etc.
IMO Quotas are needed to break quotas.

Quite a few setups now are results of unwritten quotas of cliques, sub-groups.

Have seen enough white boys get into underserving positions, because they of their background.

Only hope they recruit talented non-white people for these roles and again don't revert to their other subgroups( pvt school etc).

Diversity means more than just Indigenous and female callers - there would be I’m sure, a lot of potential commentators from within the disability or CALD communities who would love the opportunity, but until the media itself opens up these training opportunities then it’s amusing to think that supporters won’t be smashing those coming from a diverse breakdown just because they “had to” give them a chance

In terms of diversity, bring more women in, they seem to be way more coherent and competent than some of the ex-players. Abbey, Erin, Daisy, Ruby are all very talented - more of this please, promote on quality rather than their names or on-field persona.

As long as we crack in and take care of GWS, who should I be enthused about in tonight's game? It's better if Melbourne win? Could we pay someone to arrange a draw??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back