General Asian Cup Discussion Thread.

Who do you think will win the 2015 Asian Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Leckie was arguably the best player for us in the WC. Oar I rate about the same as Kruse. Ergo: Kruse isn't better than either of them

Fully fit Kruse would have been close to Australia's best player heading into the 2014 World Cup. Now whether he would have been the best after it no one will know, but he was a better player than Oar and Leckie heading into it. Leckie's rating has risen dramatically on the back of a great tournament, but he was nowhere near as highly rated a month ago. If so he would have signed for better than a second division German club. Oar is pretty good at club level, but it hasn't translated to good international form yet.

I think you are underrating Kruse. Pre-injury he was impressing and getting gametime in the Bundesliga for a top 4 team there. That's by far and away the highest level of football any Australian is currently getting gametime for.

Well yes and no, Jedinaks team wasnt great but we was widely regarded as ne of the best skippers and holding mids in the EPL

Definitely not heading in with the best form (probably still big questions for Ange in regards to our best X1 as well given he hasn't had a chance to have all players available to him at the same time).

I still have worries over our defence (CB probably being the hardest hit area for injuries in the last 6-12 months). RB is another possible concern as I'm not personally sold on Franjic or McGowan (Perhaps one of Smith or Davidson is able to play RB?). Outside of Cahill, we still look like we are pretty weak up front (a big worry given Cahill is getting on in age). Kruse coming back into the fold should add to our attacking options and young Luongo was pretty impressive with his creativity.

Ideally, we'd have another 6 months to try and nail down our best team but I think if we can play with the same spirit we did at the WC, that will hold us in good stead. Against lesser quality opposition (no offence to Japan, South Korea, Iran and co), we may not be as punished so much for our mistakes - though I do wonder if our WC form was perhaps due to being big underdogs in our group and having no expectations put on us (and it being a case of rising to the occasion/the level of the opposition).

I still have worries over our defence (CB probably being the hardest hit area for injuries in the last 6-12 months). RB is another possible concern as I'm not personally sold on Franjic or McGowan (Perhaps one of Smith or Davidson is able to play RB?). Outside of Cahill, we still look like we are pretty weak up front (a big worry given Cahill is getting on in age). Kruse coming back into the fold should add to our attacking options and young Luongo was pretty impressive with his creativity.

The return of Luke Wilkshire ;)

Is Rhys Williams still injured?

The return of Luke Wilkshire ;)

Is Rhys Williams still injured?

The forgotten man! Would be handy for his experience - would also not object to Kennedy being considered as well (not a part of the future) where his height might be a useful weapon up forward.

Think Williams was scheduled to be back November/December so might be touch and go - think he's started light training again but with achilles injuries, you probably don't want to rush them back too fast. Maybe one of the boro fans can give a better update?

Tom Rogic, the potential saviour of the Socceroos is becoming the Mark 4 version of Okon, Zelic, Kewell = Quality player, usually crocked.

Don't like our chances of getting close, we played without fear in Brazil because everyone expected us to get pummeled. Being the hosts of the Asian Cup the only team we won't be expected to beat is Japan so if we can meet the Japanese in the Final then brilliant, we may be a chance but this team just doesn't seem to be playing well enough to make any waves in this competition.

I get why Ange is having a look at heaps of guys in the lead up but would we not be best served to play our best XI, injury permitting, and get them to gel ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Rogic, the potential saviour of the Socceroos is becoming the Mark 4 version of Okon, Zelic, Kewell = Quality player, usually crocked.

Don't like our chances of getting close, we played without fear in Brazil because everyone expected us to get pummeled. Being the hosts of the Asian Cup the only team we won't be expected to beat is Japan so if we can meet the Japanese in the Final then brilliant, we may be a chance but this team just doesn't seem to be playing well enough to make any waves in this competition.

Rogic has never played 90 minutes for club or country. Some were perhaps desperate for a new savior. We won't be as bad as 2007. Then again I can't see Ange and the rest of the coaching staff out getting trolleyed the day before a big match like Arnie and his clique were in 2007 either.

So with the new FIFA rankings out, Australia are at their LOWEST ever ranking at 94 (-10) and 11th in Asia.

1. Iran (51)
2. Japan (52)
3. Uzbekistan (65)
4. South Korea (66)
5. Jordan (74)
6. UAE (79)
7. Iraq (81)
8. Oman (83)
9. China (=88)
10. Qatar (=88)
11. Australia (94)
12. Saudi Arabia (97)
13. Bahrain (104)
14. Palestine (108)
15. Kuwait (120)

Bolded are Australia's group at the Asian Cup.
The highest ranked 15 teams are all competing, and North Korea at 148 (24 in Asia) is the lowest ranked competitor so far.

The rankings mean nothing. Surely everyone has worked that out over the years. It's a flawed system from a flawed governing body.

Yeah I know that, but some of the players would still look at that and think 'shit, our lowest ever'. On the flipside, Developing sides might gain confidence. Unfortunately the rankings also determine pots for qualifiers and tournaments, we'd be bottom of pot 3 if we weren't hosting.

I'm sure they'll do an adequate job. Wilko will be commentating no doubt. Anyone is better than vanilla beige man over on SBS.

That's Wilko. He's called football on the ABC both on TV and radio for a very long time. He did the radio call with Andy Harper for the Uruguay game. Was quite epic.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2011/10/patrick-the-interns-top-21-footy-moments.html (Number 2)

"Soccer! Is! Reborrrrnnnn!!!!"

No doubt Francis Leach and Gerard will be covering it. Whately at least covered the 2011 Asian Cup for the ABC so he knows what he's on about and isn't just some AFL pleb that would be chucked on by a commercial network. ABC also still have Stephanie Brantz too.

Remove this Banner Ad

General Asian Cup Discussion Thread.

Back