Resource General Footy History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some bloke called Darren Smith with 3 goals. Dunstall standing some bloke called Delaney.

Edit: Was this the only SoO game Cahill coached? He also coached the SANFL v TFL debacle in 1995 if I recall correctly. But he did manage to guide Port's win over the ACT that same season when we had a bye.

I was at that game, the Vics really stretched the SOO rules to put a side together that was going to win. And they smashed us. I think Ablett pulled out but they Had Lockett, Dunstall and Daniher forward already. Brereton was on the bench.

Port were playing North back in SA that day, North were red hot back then and we were trying find out who won the game. We ran into Roger Delaney in a night club late that night, three sheets to the wind. But we figured he would know so we asked him who won the game. He said Port won by 80 points. It sounded unlikely but we were keen to believe. We said Really, how did you find out? And he held up some keys and said My magic keys told me.

Anyway we found a Sunday mail in Bordertown the next day and turns out Roger's magic keys were telling the truth.

The first state game I ever saw live was SA v WA in 1980 when I was 7.

SA won convincingly, but I've never located any youtube footage of it or barely any written info on line about ir.

It's almost like it's the forgotten state gsme.

The first state game I ever saw live was SA v WA in 1980 when I was 7.

SA won convincingly, but I've never located any youtube footage of it or barely any written info on line about ir.

It's almost like it's the forgotten state gsme.
Yeah unfortunately most of that era's footage went up in smoke when the old channel nine building in North Adelaide burnt down. A Lot of great Port footage was lost then also.
My first state game was 1973 SA V VIC, Jesaulinko kicked 10 goals.

Remember SA v Tassie late 1970's?
Watched it on TV.
Russell Ebert took two speccies riding on the top of the pack near the wing. Stupid field umpire took both of them off of him for jumping too early??????
Never been able to source video of that match ever since.

Yeah unfortunately most of that era's footage went up in smoke when the old channel nine building in North Adelaide burnt down. A Lot of great Port footage was lost then also.
My first state game was 1973 SA V VIC, Jesaulinko kicked 10 goals.
Ahh yes, that makes sense, 9 were doing SANFL in 1980, and at a guess there's probably less on youtube from that year, compared to other seasons in the last 45 years.

Still, often individual people upload game footage onto youtube - in the SANFL's case, "Footy Film SA".The guy who ran that youtube channel I don't think was affiliated with any TV station (but then again perhaps he worked for a production company or outlet that sold video footage).

Ahh yes, that makes sense, 9 were doing SANFL in 1980, and at a guess there's probably less on youtube from that year, compared to other seasons in the last 45 years.

Still, often individual people upload game footage onto youtube - in the SANFL's case, "Footy Film SA".The guy who ran that youtube channel I don't think was affiliated with any TV station (but then again perhaps he worked for a production company or outlet that sold video footage).
I heard an interesting story (don't know if its true or not) but someone rescued a huge amount of tapes that were being thrown away that contained a lot of SANFL coverage.

At a later date they were put onto a YouTube channel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back