General Trade Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Trades youd like to see your team make

sadly my knowledge pretty much ends there, i would have read a heap more but they are the 2 that stuck in my mind, well and another i think dylan thomas something about not going quiet into that good night cause im sure independence day ripped it off lol

I will probably get shot down for this, but.....

Foley and our second rounder or Compo pick from the Bling deal for Ballantyne.

We need a player like him desperately.

What would it take to get him???

I would also consider our first pick (only)

I agree Morro he'd be a great get for Richmond, a guy with some real hurt factor in the forward line as well as a good defensive side, ability to push into the midfield and can get under the opposition's skin. Would be a hard one to land because I don't reckon Freo would be keen to get rid of him.

Agree we need that kind of player Morro, but I think a second round pick and Foley is potentially over paying dramatically. Obviously this depends on what kind of form Foley can work back into. I do rate Ballantyne very highly however that pick is about 20 in 2012, plus Foley who we know can lead our midfield when up and running.

I think we would be better to look at other options that are yet to come on and star as much or just use the draft. We have always gone for late picks or rookie selections for our small forwards. While it works sometimes (Garlett), I think we would be better off using our first rounder and second rounder this year for some gun smalls and you will find we get a Ballantyne like acquisition without having to get rid of Foley.

Ben McGlynn is a perfect example of the type of player we should have gone after and I also thought we should have gone hard for Vezpremi.

In my opinion small forward options to target that may be possibilities at other clubs are:

• Brad Dick
  • Lindsay Thomas
  • Matt Campbell
  • Kyle Remiers
Would also be super keen at throwing up a big offer to land one of Scott Gumbleton or Lachie Hansen. Gumbleton depending on how Griffiths goes this year and Hansen similarly in regards to our KPD. Obviously both were top 3 picks and would cost a bit, but the payoff could be worth it. Gumbleton would be a risk.

troll!

On a serious note:

Eddie Betts anyone?

He's pushing too old for the eagles. Yarran, Garlett? Would give you kerr and priddis for the pair. That would take a shitload of pressure off Chris especially his inside game for a premiership tilt. Midfield of Judd, Kerr, Murphy, Gibbs and Priddis would make you guys serious premiership contenders.

alternatively M Brown for one of your young KPD's (watson, mccarthy). Would seem like an almost pointles trade but gives you what you need now whilst your challenging.

He's pushing too old for the eagles. Yarran, Garlett? Would give you kerr and priddis for the pair. That would take a shitload of pressure off Chris especially his inside game for a premiership tilt. Midfield of Judd, Kerr, Murphy, Gibbs and Priddis would make you guys serious premiership contenders.

alternatively M Brown for one of your young KPD's (watson, mccarthy). Would seem like an almost pointles trade but gives you what you need now whilst your challenging.

No...and no

Would like Priddis but not for Garlett or Yarran. They are almost untouchable.

No...and no

Would like Priddis but not for Garlett or Yarran. They are almost untouchable.

I really rate priddis this year so wouldn't want to give him away on the cheap. I think he is perfectly suited to you guys as well. Would do an absolute mountain of inside work for chris. Kerr is a bit of a wildcard. I reckon in a quality midfield where he's not tagged would still break games apart. He seems to have lost his fitness mainly due to injury which let him break a tag after 2007. If they are untouchable draft picks are acceptable. But i would want a top 15 pick for priddis which i doubt you guys would have this year. Your first might be too much for kerr depending on his season and second rounder not enough.

I think a trade of Kerr/Priddis for Yarran, Garlett would never happen.

I rate Priddis as an inside player - and he is exactly the kind we have been crying out for (perhaps even with McLean and Curnow on the list) however, he wouldn't be worth as much as a Yarran or Garlett, even with the addition of Kerr (due to injury and age).

Mitch Brown is interesting though - he is exactly the type of big boddied KPD we would need to hold down a CHB role.

I'd swap him for Betts in an instance - but probably not directly for a KPD of our own (why would you bother?), or for a Yarran/Garlett.

Betts + (early) 2nd round pick for Brown?

Agree we need that kind of player Morro, but I think a second round pick and Foley is potentially over paying dramatically. Obviously this depends on what kind of form Foley can work back into. I do rate Ballantyne very highly however that pick is about 20 in 2012, plus Foley who we know can lead our midfield when up and running.

I think we would be better to look at other options that are yet to come on and star as much or just use the draft. We have always gone for late picks or rookie selections for our small forwards. While it works sometimes (Garlett), I think we would be better off using our first rounder and second rounder this year for some gun smalls and you will find we get a Ballantyne like acquisition without having to get rid of Foley.

Ben McGlynn is a perfect example of the type of player we should have gone after and I also thought we should have gone hard for Vezpremi.

In my opinion small forward options to target that may be possibilities at other clubs are:

• Brad Dick
  • Lindsay Thomas
  • Matt Campbell
  • Kyle Remiers
Would also be super keen at throwing up a big offer to land one of Scott Gumbleton or Lachie Hansen. Gumbleton depending on how Griffiths goes this year and Hansen similarly in regards to our KPD. Obviously both were top 3 picks and would cost a bit, but the payoff could be worth it. Gumbleton would be a risk.
I think the trades Morro suggested were about right to an outsider, it's just that I can't see Freo wanting to trade him at all. A very promising player at Freo who is probably behind him in Michael Walters would be a great addition IMO but he may be hard to coax away from WA. Ahmed Saad from the Northern Bullants will be looked at by a few clubs this year I reckon.

Ahmed Saad from the Northern Bullants will be looked at by a few clubs this year I reckon.
Yeah seems to be going on pretty well with it.
I don't really see why, but it seems 19 & over guys who've got themselves to VFL/WAFL etc need to prove themselves with a couple of good seasons whereas U18s can come from a loooong way back with one big season and go with really high picks.

Him, Duscher from Bendigo who plays a bit higher up but has that aggro competitive streak, and Hayden Yarran (more of a mid-sized Robert Murphy style from what I hear) was looked at for PSD & rookie picks if I hear right and should put himself forward again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a trade of Kerr/Priddis for Yarran, Garlett would never happen.

I rate Priddis as an inside player - and he is exactly the kind we have been crying out for (perhaps even with McLean and Curnow on the list) however, he wouldn't be worth as much as a Yarran or Garlett, even with the addition of Kerr (due to injury and age).

Mitch Brown is interesting though - he is exactly the type of big boddied KPD we would need to hold down a CHB role.

I'd swap him for Betts in an instance - but probably not directly for a KPD of our own (why would you bother?), or for a Yarran/Garlett.

Betts + (early) 2nd round pick for Brown?

I just think trades need to benefit both sides to go ahead. The eagles are crying out for pace and a bit of magic to add to our young group. You guys obviously need a bit of quality inside ability and developed KPD now. I really think kerr is wasted at wce. Would be worth so much more in another team especially one were he isn't the number one tagged mid. Just think a trade like that would make sense.

On brown why would we bother? i dunno we probably wouldnt. I would want the trade to go ahead to see collingwood be challenged and because i think their may be times in the next year or two where brown doesn't get a game for west coast until glass retires which i think is ludicrous. Mckenzie i rate as an Extremely good young KPP and will be the perfect replacement for glass. Whilst glass is still here brown will only get games if we choose to play 3 true KPD which is happening less lately. Wce i believe have an excess of afl quality KPD for the next year or two who should be playing. We can't trade one of our young KPD away though because glass doesn't have long left and we lack depth in this area. It just seems like a win win. Pointless win win maybe but still beneficial to both teams. We don't waste our talent for a few years and you get what you need now.

Ahmed Saad from the Northern Bullants will be looked at by a few clubs this year I reckon.

Yeah seems to be going on pretty well with it.

I don't really see why, but it seems 19 & over guys who've got themselves to VFL/WAFL etc need to prove themselves with a couple of good seasons whereas U18s can come from a loooong way back with one big season and go with really high picks.

Him, Duscher from Bendigo who plays a bit higher up but has that aggro competitive streak, and Hayden Yarran (more of a mid-sized Robert Murphy style from what I hear) was looked at for PSD & rookie picks if I hear right and should put himself forward again.

I have said this before, and will say it again but I think the hearts of most of the VFL/WAFL and even to a lesser extent SANFL will be ripped out due to the increased concessions of the GWS, here's thinking they will look to coax quite a lot of mature aged bodies upon seeing what has happened with the Suns seemingly being rag dolled by mere middle of the table sides.

Any ways, back on topic.

Aiming more at the Victorian based teams supporters, who would you club be prepeared to give up if a very high profile young gun player from interstate nominated your club he wanted to play for and his only real possibility of landing at that club was through a draft pick, what would you, as a head recruiter/list manager be prepared to give up for this gun player (like Chris Judd did with Carlton a couple of years ago now. Carlton gave away pick 4 and a very high drafted player, Josh Kennedy for Judd).

Fire away, would love to know everyone's thoughts on this.

I think the trades Morro suggested were about right to an outsider, it's just that I can't see Freo wanting to trade him at all. A very promising player at Freo who is probably behind him in Michael Walters would be a great addition IMO but he may be hard to coax away from WA. Ahmed Saad from the Northern Bullants will be looked at by a few clubs this year I reckon.

I presume Ahmed Saad is related to Saad Saad:

[youtube]NVoXHYWto08[/youtube]

Good to see hangers run in the family:

[youtube]yXkchWd77Bg[/youtube]

Re: Ballantyne post above

Very unlikely to leave. Won't go for money as his family has enough.

I don't think its too hard to unearth a good small forward though. Lots coming through the WAFL colts.

In all honesty, a couple of hard nosed midfielders that could be useful may be Shane Tuck (Richmond) or Byron Schammer (Fremantle), both a little older, both very good at winning there own ball. More so Tuck than Schammer but still, could see possible trades.

I'm not sure if I'm with you on the hard nosed midfielders bandwagon. We have Watson, Hocking, Lonnergan and McVeigh. Heppell and Melksham may play some inside later on. Browne and Silverlock project to play those roles. Doesn't feel like an area we are particularly missing.

I'd just focus on quality, IF we traded.

There were rumours that Luke Shuey was coming back home to VIC this year and if so he wanted to come to Essendon because of the link between himself and Zaharakis.

This of course didn't take place and Luke is now playing great footy, what would West Coast expect for him?

I reckon essendon would be prepared to throw up players like:

Prismall
Dyson
Reimers(WA Boy)
Shuey had signed an extension before last year even started, the rumours were always full of crap. Of course, that does mean he comes out of contract this year ;)

That said, offering those players ain't going to cut it. Unless Reimers really takes off - at which point we'd want him anyway wouldn't we!

Would not be suprised if we try to get rid of Monfries at some point, and would not be suprised if Port bite and bite hard - as long as Rohde's still there.
Made a completely undeserved play for Jay Nash 2 years ago and there's a litany of other bad trade moves down to him.
I would be staggerred if we got rid of Monfries. Sure, he's started slowly this year but is usually one of our highest goal kickers, while often playing shut down roles on rebounding backs and acting as a link man. Extremely valuable.

I'd be staggered if we traded anyone from our best 22 given their ages.

I would be staggerred if we got rid of Monfries. Sure, he's started slowly this year but is usually one of our highest goal kickers, while often playing shut down roles on rebounding backs and acting as a link man. Extremely valuable.

I'd be staggered if we traded anyone from our best 22 given their ages.
Hypothetical here.
Winderlich gets back next year does well, Steinberg does a bit off HFF, and Crameri goes on with it. Meaning we have 4 capable HFFs (plus Reimers/Williams in reserve) for 2 or 3 spots.
A midfielder (either a grunt or outside) of a similar ilk - ie, youngish, good, but not top-line - is disgruntled/available/wants to come to Vic.
Would you?

I think he's easily the guy in our 22 we're most capable of replacing with what we've currently got.

Hypothetical here.
Winderlich gets back next year does well, Steinberg does a bit off HFF, and Crameri goes on with it. Meaning we have 4 capable HFFs (plus Reimers/Williams in reserve) for 2 or 3 spots.
A midfielder (either a grunt or outside) of a similar ilk - ie, youngish, good, but not top-line - is disgruntled/available/wants to come to Vic.
Would you?

I think he's easily the guy in our 22 we're most capable of replacing with what we've currently got.
Williams is shot. Reimers wasn't playing forward in the reserves, he's playing HBF/midfield.

So IF Winderlich comes back, and Steinberg comes on, we'll have one spare player. In case something happens like it did this year to Winders.

So probably not. I see our "window" openning next year, so I think we need him. And I'm a huge believer in strong HFFers - most premiership sides have a plethora of skilled ones. Ess, Brisbane, Port, Geelong, Collingwood all did.

I'm frankly not too fussed about the midfield. Think its ticking along nicely. Wait until Colyer, Melksham and Heppell have some more pre-season time, and see how Reimers goes in there.

There were rumours that Luke Shuey was coming back home to VIC this year and if so he wanted to come to Essendon because of the link between himself and Zaharakis.

This of course didn't take place and Luke is now playing great footy, what would West Coast expect for him?

I reckon essendon would be prepared to throw up players like:

Prismall
Dyson
Reimers(WA Boy)

Gee Westcoast would struggle to knock those deals back lol.

Try your first round pick and then some....kid was a first rounder and looks to be one of the best players from his draft.

Would happily throw up our first pick this year which will probs be top ten and then a player like Edwards or whoever west coast want bar our young stars to secure Shuey.

Apparently Damian Barrett said something last not on the footy show about Jackson Trengove.

Similar to Shuey I would be prepared to give our first pick for that kid...GUN. Don't really have any hesitation in Richmond giving away their first rounder if it is for a young kid that is 22 and first round quality already....less risk anyway.

And I'm a huge believer in strong HFFers - most premiership sides have a plethora of skilled ones. Ess, Brisbane, Port, Geelong, Collingwood all did.
Key word 'strong' and we disagree there.

He's not quick and he doesn't kick bags and he's not strong. He crafts a few goals a game and does about 3 tagging jobs a year. I think he's over-rated.

Williams is shot. Reimers wasn't playing forward in the reserves, he's playing HBF/midfield.

So IF Winderlich comes back, and Steinberg comes on, we'll have one spare player. In case something happens like it did this year to Winders.

I'm frankly not too fussed about the midfield. Think its ticking along nicely. Wait until Colyer, Melksham and Heppell have some more pre-season time, and see how Reimers goes in there.

To think I was blasted for suggesting we trade Angus Monfries who had some trade value.. :rolleyes:

I agree, we may have far to many HFF's on our list, but none real top quality like a Geelong or Collingwood.

I think Essendon's drafting this year will be far different to what we have seen in recent years, possibly along the line of last years with far more scope and depth.

I would love to land a 'big fish' like Carlton did with Chris Judd all those years ago, it is all just a pipe dream really :(

Remove this Banner Ad

General Trade Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back