Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Toumpas has been delisted by Port. Worth a look?
I was into him when he was at Demons and never got a clean run at it. Heard he fell out with Coaches and then got hurt and ended up at Port.

Not sure PA is a fertile ground for development but kid could play int eh early days. Dunno about now.

GO Catters

Despite being a former #4 pick, he has gone through 2 clubs and never really been a stable selection - happy to pass
\
It's hard to know why though. He went top 4 for a reason, and could even be rookied for a year. Don't see any reason why not unless he has no love for the game.
I was into him when he was at Demons and never got a clean run at it. Heard he fell out with Coaches and then got hurt and ended up at Port.

Not sure PA is a fertile ground for development but kid could play int eh early days. Dunno about now.

GO Catters
Bit of a doozy. As above, I reckon just give him a year on the rookie list and see where it goes. Win Win

Jimmy Toumpas has been delisted by Port. Worth a look?

No. He was an ordinary selection for the Dees.. they took him before Wines ... and then had a lot of groin issues.. was never fast and is now slower.

If we want to look at these type of retreads... we must be specific on need... what is the need we have to bring in someone. Define the need and work backwards... otherwize we are juts going to look at these guys ... ohh Hartung just got delisted lets have a look at him etc.

not even 1 year rookie listed? And he had to prove himself in the VFL? He's got the talent
Then sign him to our vfl team, let him prove himself that way & we then sign him as a free agent next year if he worthy of a spot.

And that comes under the following rule (clarified in the media due to the interest in Sam Collins)

The AFL had changed the rules to say that a delisted player would remain a free agent, and free to sign with the club of his choosing, even if he left the AFL and played in a second-tier competition.

But while clubs believed that rule had come into effect this year, the AFL clarified recently that it would not apply until 2019 – meaning that Collins will have to enter the draft, where recruiters believe he could be picked as early as the second round.

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agent-target-collins-sent-to-the-draft-20180813-p4zx9t.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then sign him to our vfl team, let him prove himself that way & we then sign him as a free agent next year if he worthy of a spot.

And that comes under the following rule (clarified in the media due to the interest in Sam Collins)

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agent-target-collins-sent-to-the-draft-20180813-p4zx9t.html

Seems a pretty bad rule tbh from an equalisation perspective.

Top teams will hog the good delisted free agents that have gone back and proved themselves at state league ala Menegola.

The thing also to remember is if we get Scott and Brownless they will join Constable in the que for a spot .. I don't think we need to add 3rd tier players.. guys who will slip into the 20-30 spot.

I would call them "list cloggers".

\
It's hard to know why though. He went top 4 for a reason, and could even be rookied for a year. Don't see any reason why not unless he has no love for the game.

Bit of a doozy. As above, I reckon just give him a year on the rookie list and see where it goes. Win Win

Being a top 10 draft pick means Jack Spit. There have been some ordinary ones over the years.

Laurence Angwin - Adelaide Pick 7, 2000
Damien Cupido - Brisbane Pick 6, 1999. Had one good year in 2003 with 40 goals
James Cook - Carlton Pick 2, 1990
Danny Roach - Collingwood Pick 7, 1999
Daniel McAlister - Essendon Pick 5, 1996
Ryley Dunn - Fremantle Pick 10, 2003
Kane Tenace - Geelong Pick 7, 2003. Had wheels but could not kick
Mitch Thorp - Hawthorn Pick 6, 2006. Taken by the Hawks at pick 6 in front of J.Selwood pick 7
David Trotter - Nth Melbourne Pick 9, 2003
John Rombotis - Port Adelaide Pick 6, 1996
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls - Richmond Pick 8, 2005
Stephen Simms - St Kilda Pick 2, 1986
Mark Kinnear - Sydney Pick 4, 1996
Brendan Fewster - West Coast Pick 3, 1995
Tim Walsh - Western Bulldogs Pick 4, 2002
Richard Tambling - Richmond Pick 4, 2004

I remember Tommy Stewart saying early on at 18-21 he didnt have the maturity or ethic to do the work. Look at him now.
There is zero correlation between Tommy and Toumpas - but.... if he decides to make like Tommy and grow and commit.... there could be upside.
And thats where the rookie list can play a role of the VFL side if he's still interested in the game.

GO Catters

From my observations, Toumpus is a spud of the highest order. Poor delivery, poor decision making no outstanding assets at this level.

Just not needed at Geelong...

I should add he seems an intelligent young man who speaks well but his football just isn't up to it.

Top teams will hog the good delisted free agents that have gone back and proved themselves at state league ala Menegola.

I doubt that's a significant worry. It's very rare a formerly delisted player comes back on to a list let alone with an early draft pick. There were only 4 picks taken after Menegola in the 2015 draft and Geelong had 2 of those. So even if we'd been allowed to just sign to the main list we probably wouldn't have had any competition and it would've saved us almost nothing in draft picks. It does mean that bringing former players onto the VFL list might be more worthwhile and I think that may have played a role in us bringing Gore and Siggins to the club. If the club think Toumpas is worth a look then having him play VFL would be fine. I doubt there will be any interest for him on an AFL list.

Richmond are recruiting with no pressure
It’s time stupid north flashed some cash
To pull a few from there
Or about time Gold Coast match seriously,

Makes us trading for danger look so stupid

Adelaide weren't getting pick 3 for Danger though. They were getting a pick in the late teens.

They're not even trying anymore. Full free agency is probably inevitable at this point.

That being said, given that Menegola almost lasted to the end of the national draft it might be giving clubs too much credit about how savvy they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back