Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am aware we have not much to trade or picks to give away or barely any salary cap. Can someone give me a scenario where we get mitch McGovern to geelong lol

Just a further note on how bad our fwd line is

The Fwds - Menzel and Hawk = 85 goals

The Mids - Danger, Menegola, Stanley, Selwood, Ablett, Kelly, Duncan, Murdoch = 112 goals

The Makeshift Fwds - Parsons, Henry, SavRat, Parfitt, Narkle, JJones, Fogerty, Gregson, McCarthy, Buzza, Taylor, = 63 goals btw all of them
Still a lot of goals. Who cares what you call the players that kick them. Pies are a great example.

Geez, St Kilda might actually be the dumbest club in the league. Delist the feel good story in Freeman after 2 games, yet keep duds like Gilbert on their list along with the idiotic coach. Some things I don't agree with that happen at this club, but I am so glad I never picked the Saints to support.

I brought up the Wingard scenario only if Kelly leaves as then we should have 2 first round picks so dealing one away shouldn't be a concern. Also if $700k is too much to pay for Wingard just look at it like Dalhouse + $200k. I know who I'd rather sign up.

On the father son bidding did we expect Oscar to race up the order or is Scott more likely to come here too. Reason being we did shift out picks in that second round and if Scott and Brownless were both projected to be in the 20 to 40 range it seems odd that we'd bail out of early picks purely for FS points just for Oscar. The Suns have loads of early picks and North is more concerned about Thomas. Maybe Bailey has given us good reason to stockpile later picks???

Different if we had an early 1st round talent linked to us. Just seems to be a lot of eggs going into that basket a year out.

Last edited:
Yeah agree with the list of outgoing players. You could probably add Murdoch to that list too. Smith could also request a trade. I still think we have enough depth in terms of small forwards. Jones, Narkle, Fogarty, Miers, Parfitt etc - granted, some of these guys will develop into mids, but not all of them. I'd be very surprised if Dahlhaus was played predominantly as a small forward, I could be wrong, but I see him spending more time in the middle moving forward as Ablett nears the end, Selwood getting older, possible Kelly departure etc.

I think he'll spend time resting forward, but I believe he'll be played mainly as a mid, a position he has played the last few years and is well suited too. As for Kelly, I'm far from convinced he will be here until the end of 2019. I think Cook is posturing and sending a statement to WC, he is every chance to be traded in a few weeks time imo, we are just trying to get the best deal possible. This years top 20 is a bumper crop, another first rounder may be appealing if we think Kelly will walk at the end of 2019. We will see how it plays out I guess.

Ahhhh, well I asked cooky tonight and he reckons TK is geelong at least next year. West Coast can’t offer a deal and Freo well they may not be so interested. Melb clubs are also interested but Cook reckons Wellsy knows what’s what.

From this i take that there is much under conversation but we’ll keep him especially as pickett will be prioritised to Qld or Other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am aware we have not much to trade or picks to give away or barely any salary cap. Can someone give me a scenario where we get mitch McGovern to geelong lol

Not if you go by the crows thread about it. Half of them are certain that Mitch nets them a top 3 pick from gcs that they can use on Rankine. The other half just seem to be vaguely saying 2 first rounders. They seem a bit emotional

What's people's views.
Gregson & McCarthy seems to be injured more than on the park. Do we keep both of them or is it sadly to say goodbye. McCarthy has heap of talent. But is it time we have to unfortunately say goodbye even though we know he can play. As his still not back in the VFL side.

Gregson gone. Linc gets one more chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a further note on how bad our fwd line is

The Fwds - Menzel and Hawk = 85 goals

The Mids - Danger, Menegola, Stanley, Selwood, Ablett, Kelly, Duncan, Murdoch = 112 goals

The Makeshift Fwds - Parsons, Henry, SavRat, Parfitt, Narkle, JJones, Fogerty, Gregson, McCarthy, Buzza, Taylor, = 63 goals btw all of them

Tbf those numbers are very raw - as in not accounting for the number of games played. By averages

Hawkins 2.9
Menzel 2.3

Danger 1.1
Kelly 1
Menegola 1
Gaz 0.9
Murda 0.5
Stanley 0.4
Joel 0.3
Duncan 0.3

McCarthy 1
Ratugolea 0.9
Parsons 0.8
Parfitt 0.8
Narkle 0.8
Jones 0.6
Taylor 0.6
Henry 0.4
Buzza 0.3
Fogarty 0.3
Gregson 0.3

Also you didn't mention him but Crammers has 5 going at 1.3 per game

Putting together the best 6 forwards just by goal production would give us

Narkle, Ratugolea, Parfitt
Menzel, Hawkins, McCarthy

Noting that Crammers deserves a spot over and Parsons just by numbers could stand in for Narkle or Parfitt. But I think that's pretty close to our preferred forward line tbh. It would have a combined average of 8.7 goals per game or around 191 for the year if everyone played full seasons of 22 games and maintained their averages - though obviously that's pie in the sky stuff when Linc is listed.

I would really like to add another small defender we basically only have Bews to play that role with Tuohy better used to provide run. We should develop someone but that may not help us next season a couple of short term solutions we could look at are Nick Smith free agent at Sydney and Jarryn Geary who will likely be replaced as saints captain and is best mates with Selwood.
There's probably others as well but it's an area we could improve in and it's those role players I'd be looking to add we have the elite players. If we can improve some other positions we should be a more consistent team which is why I think Dahlhaus would be a good addition he doesn't need to be a star but would add to the team.

We have a bunch of small forwards a lot of whom will be mids eventually but with a good pre season we should be able to get them to be the players we need next year. The overall forward depth is concerning Buzza seems to have gone backwards and a lot of pressure on Hawkins and esava. If there's injuries there we'd be in a lot of trouble it'd be good to have a backup even someone like Pedersen from the Dees or Levi Casboult certainly not stars but could help if needed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence
Menzel will stay in my opinion. Why go to the saints while the cats are in the premiership window. He loves the club and wants to win a flag while he is healthy. If we win the flag he may consider it if the money is much better
Agree with GHS and Gregson. Think Black also and it appears Thurlow may leave to gain opportunity. Scott isn't keen enough on him and Scott just got extension

Same reason he wanted to leave last year and turned down a two year deal that was on the table only to be withdrawn when the SA clubs were approached. He’s only still at club because No other club interested. Arguably in better gf position last year than this so not sure. He has a deal again on the table but hasn’t signed it. Sort of sounds like he’s going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not if you go by the crows thread about it. Half of them are certain that Mitch nets them a top 3 pick from gcs that they can use on Rankine. The other half just seem to be vaguely saying 2 first rounders. They seem a bit emotional

Lol I think we have a good 1% chance to net him. I think due diligence will involve a call and then a quick reply of you have nothing haha it looks like a very good addition for someone. He reminds me a lot of a young Josh Kennedy. You never know how the talls will develop so it's a tough one.

Prime example cam McCarthy fremantle.

His value probably lies 1st rounder perhaps top 10 and a 3rd rounder. Or perhaps a later first rounder and a future first rounder.

Probably a few player packages around depends how badly he wants out carlton is keen they will throw cash and picks. Sloane could leave as well seriously adelaide have just had management and player retention problems.

Neil Craig was a task master then they had the most devastating and unlucky scenario with the next coach. Now Pyke has had all this trouble with this ridiculous collective mind shit. And it is shit this is football not the military no psychologists or doctors involved.

Kurt Tippett, Gunston, Phil Davis, Dangerfield, Jake Lever, Charlie Cameron

If you add Sloane and McGovern your probably talking multiple premierships if that group stays together

Cockatoo has basically no trade value due to injuries and I doubt Wingard leaves SA.

Im not sure why we get all hot and bothered when some of these players look like they are on the move. Who are the players in our side that we are the most happy with.. drafted or traded in? Probably depends on one pov I guess.. we have a nice balance. If the right player was FA he probably would be too costly. CW ..sure if he was looking for a place to land but Port would want a lot.. too much.

Who would we trade. Murdoch? Cockatoo? The upside and NC's age ...as we have discussed is too great atm to let him go anyway ..unless imo , its foundation type pick/player. Again as we have disused ... you have put a good case that we dont trade anyone that can make our best 22 better...

Just listening to SEN (rel Kelly) it would seem there is a chance GC and Carlton get a PPick.. St's might get one too but it might be at the end of 1st. (headshake). Conjecture is that they are made to trade these picks .. Carl use theirs on the unhappy Crow .. and St use theirs on the banged up Swan. What do the Sus trade for..? No idea..maybe they do not make them trade it.? I think they will be given a a helping hand for a couple of years again. For mine I have no issue helping them but it needs to be more than the low hang fruit.. that will go if unhappy in two years time...setting in stone the cycle.

For us ..onn a need basis .. do we really need to trade for anyone to be better? I do not think we HAVE to trade ..to be better. It was the common theme last year around now in the zone..trade for now.. yet who has had the greatest impact for us ...a drafted player.
Our side will get better the more it stays together ..its been a long time since we have gone without major change. Evolution not revolution. We need to trust who we have ..and not get to desperate.

We go to the draft.as option1. Perhaps we can trade in draft pick for another pick in draft depending on Scott > I feel we are not far away from having a fresh face on the group. Obviously we still look linked to the past when our best is near 30..but one can see future .Henry is such a bonus..he is one I had not counted on.. He is the Wells pick of this era.. a Rookie who could be top three in RStar. I have high hopes for Constable. Add more talent .not type specific .. but obviously is a tall we like is there ..even if its a longer term player.. pick him.

While we have a heap of smalls ..we obviously do not have a small forward who is a threatening scoreboard threat like a Greene..maybe Dahlhaus can help maybe not. Just keep adding talent ..and if somehow we are offer a deal too good or something that will not be there next year.. get an extra R1 pick.. it then allows us so much more room for another Danger like addition next year or a replacement for Hawk etc.

Last edited:
I brought up the Wingard scenario only if Kelly leaves as then we should have 2 first round picks so dealing one away shouldn't be a concern. Also if $700k is too much to pay for Wingard just look at it like Dalhouse + $200k. I know who I'd rather sign up.

On the father son bidding did we expect Oscar to race up the order or is Scott more likely to come here too. Reason being we did shift out picks in that second round and if Scott and Brownless were both projected to be in the 20 to 40 range it seems odd that we'd bail out of early picks purely for FS points just for Oscar. The Suns have loads of early picks and North is more concerned about Thomas. Maybe Bailey has given us good reason to stockpile later picks???

Different if we had an early 1st round talent linked to us. Just seems to be a lot of eggs going into that basket a year out.

Dahlhaus is attainable Wingard is not.

Goddard been delisted. Surely a look in?
Assuming we're talking about Hugh not the other. He could be worth having on the list still only 22. He’s had a lot of injuries and most likely wouldn’t get many games for a year or two.
Is he better than Gardner and House? Probably if he can stay fit
Could he be better than Kolo? Haven’t seen enough but I do have concerns about Kolo. He seems to lack any peripheral vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back