Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other points of interest from Cal Twomey’s article and players he’s linked us to with other picks:
Brownless and shlensog obviously
Connor Udon and says geelong tried to get him included in our academy. Hence the earlier confusion about this and they must also have interest if they wanted him in.
Sam fletcher inside midfielder Dandenong rangers
Adam Tipungwuti small forward from Tiwi islands cousin of Anthony MacDonald tipungwuti.
There was a list of club academy players in the middle of the year that had Idun listed at Geelong with Schlensog which was edited a couple of weeks later. I was of the belief that he was a Geelong academy player and posted as such somewhere on this forum. Whether or not the AFL decided for some reason he wasn't and changed the verdict or it was a misprint is something I'd like clarified.

I'm also not sure why he isn't given his heritage.

There was a list of club academy players in the middle of the year that had Idun listed at Geelong with Schlensog which was edited a couple of weeks later. I was of the belief that he was a Geelong academy player and posted as such somewhere on this forum. Whether or not the AFL decided for some reason he wasn't and changed the verdict or it was a misprint is something I'd like clarified.

I'm also not sure why he isn't given his heritage.
I asked Budda about Idun, I said I saw a NGA prospect for Geelong in a Champs game and he couldn't think of who it was.
Eventually we come across Idun and he was confident he's not NGA for us.

I asked Budda about Idun, I said I saw a NGA prospect for Geelong in a Champs game and he couldn't think of who it was.
Eventually we come across Idun and he was confident he's not NGA for us.
I reckon he was at some point.

We could be the most exciting team of indigenous stars in the AFL if we get Tipungwuti and Pickett to add to Cockatoo, Parfitt, Narkle, Kelly and Jones. Apparently Schlensog is an indigenous player too. That would be outstanding

Also like Sydney Stack with a late pick. Great highlights vid and would create havoc off half back.

Twomey has us taking C.Jones. Underwhelming would be the overriding emotion if that happened.

To be fair I don't think we should be underwhelmed by anyone. Whoever it is got to back them in. Also outside of his size he looks very very impressive to me. Wins it inside and outside, has good pace and tackles for keeps!

If we do take C. Jones, I agree, it would be underwhelming. If it was shaping up like that why would we not try to trade into a late first rounder and a second rounder. For example Eagles in Twomey's Phantom Draft get 2 players who both could be easily as good as Jones. If we do get Jones, then I don't get our whole hold-out strategy with Kelly. If we get Hately (dreaming on Smith dropping to us by the way) or Caldwell or RCD, then I'd think OK, but I see a big gap in risk of ending up with a high end long term player between them and Jones (who is yet another 180 cm mid accumulator). Dont think we are in such a strong position here.

To be fair I think he is quite a bit better than an accumulator. Has good pace on the outside and uses it well off both sides. Also a goal kicker. The only issue is his size he is elite in almost every other area

Would be very disappointed in Jones. The one player I really don’t want.

Sub 180cm
Pushed off the ball at U18 level
Poor decision making
No point of difference or hurt factor

Just a Lang type.

Screams complete bust to me.

Would look to trade 12 to freo for 14 + 31 if that’s how it played out do they could grab butters and we go someone like stocker at 14.

Jones would be a complete bust imo and we cannot stuff this draft up with only 1 good pick after so many years either trading out of the first round or stuffing up the first round

What do you mean pushed off the ball at u/18s? He wasn't pushed off the ball playing against the men of Nths VFL when he was on of the very best for AUS u/17s. Neither was he playing league footy against men in TAS. Just an uninformed comment. Criticise away but don't just write clear rubbish that has no basis in truth. Certainly quicker than lang as well.

I hope we trade down to a couple of picks in the 20s. We miss the sweet spot by a bees dick. The talent we can pick is not really different to what we would get a 20.

We could be the most exciting team of indigenous stars in the AFL if we get Tipungwuti and Pickett to add to Cockatoo, Parfitt, Narkle, Kelly and Jones. Apparently Schlensog is an indigenous player too. That would be outstanding
So to is Kreuger a big change from the days before Varcoe was drafted when we had no aboriginal players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair I think he is quite a bit better than an accumulator. Has good pace on the outside and uses it well off both sides. Also a goal kicker. The only issue is his size he is elite in almost every other area

Agree, he looks really, really good. Gets to great spots, crumbs well, is great at the stoppages. I certainly wouldn't be underwhelmed with Jones.

Edit - I should note that he's considered a lock for the Crows' top 10 pick so he's unlikely to get to us.

He has Adelaide bidding on every possible academy player which wont happen hes got good write ups but his predictions arent great IMO.

FWIW i think we will bid on Thomas North will match it then we will take whichever of Hately Clark Jones and Butters that GWS haven't taken. Although i get this gut feel McHenry is in the frame too (no mail just a feeling). So long as we don't take RCD i'd be happy with any of the others. Obviously we'd like King or Smith to be available but o doubt that happens.

Please don't be McHenry. He will be a good player but very little scope for top end type return. Like him but not before 20+

Agree, he looks really, really good. Gets to great spots, crumbs well, is great at the stoppages. I certainly wouldn't be underwhelmed with Jones.

Edit - I should note that he's considered a lock for the Crows' top 10 pick so he's unlikely to get to us.

Which says something to me because they have been the best performed recruiting team over the last 5 or 6 years for mine. I think Ogilvy or whatever his name is, is one of the best kept secrets in the AFL. They keep losing top end talent and he just keeps finding more.

Que? Admittedly I don't follow this stuff, bores me tbh, but I asked KM a couple of months back for elite users of the footy we should be going after, and would be suitable to our needs.

I hope this dislike for a bloke isn't because we have Constable as a tall mid. He's uncapped and unproven himself remember.

KM knows some stuff but gets some stuff so weirdly wrong. The only real issue with Duursma is his kicking and RCD can burn it on occassions they are definitely not two of the better kicks in this draft.

Which says something to me because they have been the best performed recruiting team over the last 5 or 6 years for mine. I think Ogilvy or whatever his name is, is one of the best kept secrets in the AFL. They keep losing top end talent and he just keeps finding more.

Having a look at their most recent first picks, they just don't seem to get sucked into the commentary.

• Darcy Fogarty - clearly one of the best players in last year's draft slipped to 12
  • Jordan Gallucci - verdict is currently out
  • Wayne Milera - the obvious choice given how he performed at SANFL league level
  • Matt Crouch - too slow? no tricks? poor disposal? has done alright

Please don't be McHenry. He will be a good player but very little scope for top end type return. Like him but not before 20+

It's possible. One club at least is keen for him to get a draft invite Wells talked about our need for pressure players all year and he's the best pressure player in the draft.

I like Jones but we do have a lot of sub 185cm small forward or mid types on our list, list balance is the main issue there. Still I think he's AFL standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back