Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Steven Wells ever done this?
No, we know Wells picks them out of left field. I'm actually amused at everyone trying to predict who we get because Wells will leave them scratching their heads when our selection is announced.

Best player available will do me.
Someone not hurt and with elite skills. The rest can be built and developed
Go Catters

Best player available will do me.
Someone not hurt and with elite skills. The rest can be built and developed
Go Catters

images

Pre season training for any <180cm players drafted this year

A lot of experts are of the opinion that you don't use the national draft to fill gaps or needs on your list. You simply pick the best player available at your pick, especially early on. With free agency now, you don't have to use draft picks to fill gaps and you can get players that can slot straight in. I share this view, though I do agree that we have too many 180cm MID/FWD types.

Id say the defining of who is best available is inexact and biased towards ones personal likes and needs anyway ... who is best available for Car P1 this year? On talent or on need or list balance..perhaps even the lock in factor.
For us to pick a sub 180 at 12 ..he better be a player who is a lot better than Fog etc. we have needs in other areas greater than another small that we need to develop... but if a kid is that good that he is going to blow past all the other role players on our list then fine..but it sort of diminishes the investment of those previous picks. Sort of like how Thurlows role just got past by bringing in 2e and finding Stewart... so in the end ..wasted pick.

Id say the defining of who is best available is inexact and biased towards ones personal likes and needs anyway ... who is best available for Car P1 this year? On talent or on need or list balance..perhaps even the lock in factor.
For us to pick a sub 180 at 12 ..he better be a player who is a lot better than Fog etc. we have needs in other areas greater than another small that we need to develop... but if a kid is that good that he is going to blow past all the other role players on our list then fine..but it sort of diminishes the investment of those previous picks. Sort of like how Thurlows role just got past by bringing in 2e and finding Stewart... so in the end ..wasted pick.
So what you are saying is we should have taken best available in Grundy over thurlow

The concept of 'best available' is picking the best player on talent, by definition. If you're talking about need or list balance then that is obviously picking a player to fill a need/hole.

Elsewhere in the first round, inside midfielders Liam Stocker, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Luke Valente and Jackson Hately have been linked with GWS and Geelong. But in some recruiters’ eyes, it would be too early for Valente.

Source.

I hope GWS take RCD and Hately falls to us.

Got to stop just reading stats. If Hately wasn't tall than he wouldn't be anymore talked about anymore than a tom Lewis from sturt. Average pace, average disposal, average skills but gets a lot of ball. Always seems to be rushed in his disposal. I don't seen any standout attributes other than being tall and I feel his weaknesses will be exposed in the afl.

Sturt on the other hand has a lot of development in him. Has attributes that translate to afl. He is a sweet kick of the football and creates. Moves well and it's always a good sign when a guy that skinny has such sticky hands as he is not relying on size. I can definitely see the argument that it is to early though as he has less exposed form.
Your views on Hateley remind me of most comments on Matt Crouch in his draft year. Too slow, too one sided, too predictable, etc, but got shitloads of it in the TAC Cup...and now gets shitloads of it in the AFL.

I’m not overly concerned with size but a midfielder that accumulates would be ideal. I’m hopeful on constable but he would do well to have a buddy. Some here have said you wouldn’t want two contested players similar I disagree. We will have a very different midfield soon and we’d need those players. Parfitt and Narkle can provide some creativeness but after that it’s looking bare for young mids.

I’m not overly concerned with size but a midfielder that accumulates would be ideal. I’m hopeful on constable but he would do well to have a buddy. Some here have said you wouldn’t want two contested players similar I disagree. We will have a very different midfield soon and we’d need those players. Parfitt and Narkle can provide some creativeness but after that it’s looking bare for young mids.
Cocky is 22

This article in The Age lists draft bargains still playing AFL, recruited Round 3 or after.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...tered-with-late-bargains-20181113-p50fqh.html

What's notable of the 57 listed players? Not a single Geelong player first drafted by Geelong!
Although I think Menegola (Rd5) and Blicavs (Rookie) should be on the list.

Future Rd3+ possibilities of adding to the list - Kolo, Henry, Narkle, Esava, Bews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your views on Hateley remind me of most comments on Matt Crouch in his draft year. Too slow, too one sided, too predictable, etc, but got shitloads of it in the TAC Cup...and now gets shitloads of it in the AFL.

Hately's definitely not slow (3.05) and his agility test results were top few.
His endurance is also a feature of his game with incredible VO2 max.
He's proved his natural talent wasn't just about being bigger than others, a knock generally attached to big U18 mids. (as if there aren't others bigger or just as big)
But from early season Hately played senior SANFL footy winning seasonal awards for best young U23 player.
This is not someone who just has size advantages and nothing else, Watson, Buckley, Voss etc all had a special genetic advantages that didn't stop when they played seniors, Hately has already proven a high quality senior player at SANFL level.

Of all the draft players he has done more to prove he's up for the next step which is AFL his talent curve keeps rising.

From his highlights, RCD looks explosive, highly damaging and great skills. Would thrive in an AFL environment.

He’s a no.1 mid and we need to start looking for one to develop post dangerwood.
Agreed - his highlights are very good. If it was between RCD and Hately who would you pick?

For those interested, here's the results from Cal Twomey and Shifter Sheehan's phantom draft on the AFL podcast. They said they have no insider information and have picked players based on needs, not on quality but they're a bit all over the place and didn't actually stick to that plan.

Shifter Twomey.png

Hately's definitely not slow (3.05) and his agility test results were top few.
His endurance is also a feature of his game with incredible VO2 max.
He's proved his natural talent wasn't just about being bigger than others, a knock generally attached to big U18 mids. (as if there aren't others bigger or just as big)
But from early season Hately played senior SANFL footy winning seasonal awards for best young U23 player.
This is not someone who just has size advantages and nothing else, Watson, Buckley, Voss etc all had a special genetic advantages that didn't stop when they played seniors, Hately has already proven a high quality senior player at SANFL level.

Of all the draft players he has done more to prove he's up for the next step which is AFL his talent curve keeps rising.

Hately is also one of the youngest in the draft, didn’t turn 18 until late October.

For those interested, here's the results from Cal Twomey and Shifter Sheehan's phantom draft on the AFL podcast. They said they have no insider information and have picked players based on needs, not on quality but they're a bit all over the place and didn't actually stick to that plan.

View attachment 584352

As much as Shifter knows his stuff there is no way we take 181cm small/pressure forward if RCD,Hill or Duursma are still on the board.

If available in order of preference

Hately
RCD
Hill

As much as Shifter knows his stuff there is no way we take 181cm small/pressure forward if RCD,Hill or Duursma are still on the board.

If available in order of preference

Hately
RCD
Hill

Duursma is a poor man’s Jones, and Hill is an even shorter pressure forward?

Source.

I hope GWS take RCD and Hately falls to us.

Interesting take. If you take it on face value then:

1. Carl - Walsh
2. GC - Luko
3. GC - Rankine
4. Saints - M.King or B.Smith
5. Port - Rozee
6. GC - Caldwell
7. Bulldogs - M.King or B.King or B.Smith
8. Adel - whoever is left from King/King or Smith
9. GWS - C.Jones
10. PA - Clark?
11. GWS - Stocker or RCD or Hately or Valente
12. Geel - whoever is left from above 4 (plus Sturt!)

This article in The Age lists draft bargains still playing AFL, recruited Round 3 or after.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...tered-with-late-bargains-20181113-p50fqh.html

What's notable of the 57 listed players? Not a single Geelong player first drafted by Geelong!
Although I think Menegola (Rd5) and Blicavs (Rookie) should be on the list.

Future Rd3+ possibilities of adding to the list - Kolo, Henry, Narkle, Esava, Bews.
Menegola is there. As a Hawthorn rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back