Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he keeps Constable out of the team.
Big body, slow, ball gatherer.
Maybe they are opening up the opportunity for Constable to thrive and stay at the club for the duration.
Menegola a FA next year, we should get something for him now. Might bring us in a young talent. Get a pick in the early 20s for him and we could put two of the picks together to go up the order. What would 17 and an early 20s pick get you? What would an early 20s and 36 get you?
Sam has been a trooper for the Cats, but if we got a good mid in the draft, our midfield would be more dynamic with youth surging through it
For example
Flanders, Kemp, Cockatoo, Constable, Miers, Clark, Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty, Parsons, Simpson
to go with Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie, Steven
Maybe even get Bennell as a rookie
In defense with Henry, O'Connor, Blicavs, Stewart, Kolo, as kids
to go with Taylor, Tuohy
Forward line Cockatoo, Kemp, Miers, Riccardi, Ratagolea
To go with Ablett, Dahlhaus, Hawkins, Rohan
We are starting to have the shape of a future team while still contending
Could play Danger forward more to give us penetration

A team that looks like

O'Connor Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Taylor Henry
Cockatoo Duncan Clark
Dahlhaus Hawkins Dangerfield
Rohan Ratagolea Miers
Stanley Flanders Steven
Selwood, Ablett, Constable Narkle
EM Parfitt, Tuohy, Guthrie, Atkins Kreuger, Kemp, Fogarty, Simpson Bennell, Riccardi Zuthrie, Parsons Brownless, Kennerly etc

Looks a more vital team
Moving Menegola as you suggest is very much like what we did in 99 I think ..moving Mansfield. Yes he gave Carlton good service and Cook later said he would have like to find another player to move (hard call i think he had to get the costs under control) ... but it gave us a pick for Chapman.
If we can look back at this year as the icing on the last the last 2 or 3 in accumulating young talent ...then brave calls will be applauded.

Moving on a seasoned player would give us that chance depending on what we get for him and it would give us cap relief. The loss of kelly hurts on field and in the cap.

De Koning is a sensational mover for his size. Really impressed me when I saw him live this year. No sure about how competitive he is. Not to say he isn't at all but just not sure. If he is then he looks a very very likely type.

That’s my possible knock from what I’ve seen too. Which is v little. Preferred McAsey from the games I saw only because he was super competitive (as well as being a terrific contested player). But will cost a fair bit more too....

Have thought about our list as a whole, and what our de-listing/trading will look like (based on Wells' comments, outside interest, comments on here and in the media etc.) and this is what I've got so far:

Reckon that as of Round 1 next year, we could have up to 9 players replaced out of the prelim side from last year. Taylor will be kept as depth, while Hendo is moved on. We showed early on in the year that we were balanced down back without him or Hendo, so hopefully during the review they recognize that he doesn't need to play every game.

OUT: Henderson, Parfitt, Atkins, Tuohy, Bews, Narkle, Menegola, Kelly, Taylor

IN: Hawkins, Duncan, Constable, Kreuger, Clark, Rohan, High draft pick like Flanders, and Steven or Cockatoo (depending on if they're available/even at Geelong in Steven's case)

Changes our side from this:

B: Stewart, Taylor, Bews
HB: Tuohy, Kolo, Henry
C: Parfitt, Selwood, Blicavs (lol)
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, Kelly
HF: Dahlhaus, Ratugolea, Ablett
F: Miers, Henderson, Atkins
INT: O'Connor, Guthrie, Menegola, Narkle

To this (best side if everyone is available, we get a top 10 draft pick like Flanders or similar/Steven comes in and gets back to even half of what his best is):

B: O'Connor, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Clark
C: Duncan, Constable, Guthrie
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, Steven
HF: Dahlhaus, Hawkins, Ablett
F: Miers, Ratugolea, Rohan
INT: Cockatoo, Selwood, Kreuger, Top 10 draft pick, i.e. Flanders

EMG: Parfitt, Taylor, Atkins, Tuohy

Bolded highlight the changes, which takes an alright looking side, to something pretty special. Reckon Menegola gets traded, given where he falls in the pecking order. If he stays, then he won't play every game.

**********************************************************************************************************

This might be what our de-listing/trading looks like when all is said and done:

De-list/trade/place on rookie list (speculative): Cunico, Jones, Henderson, Menegola, Scooter, Kelly, Smith, Future 2nd (for Steven) Pick 17, Future 1st (Eagles pick to trade up order) - Buzza on rookie list (8 spots avail.)

Trade in/draft/rookie upgrade (speculative): Steven, Pick 5-9, Pick 14, Pick 24, Pick 36, Pick 37, Zuthrie, Simpson (8 spots filled)

********************************************************************************************************

All highly highly speculative, but that seems to me like a snapshot of what we could expect. I'm actually warming up to the idea of only getting one top 10 pick, and drafting with the rest. Robertson would be a good get (and would really peeve the Weagles to no end, haha - little bit of payback).

Hopefully we end up drafting any of these 4 players with a top 10 pick: D. Stephens/Ash/Flanders/Kemp. Then we get any of these 5 with the remaining picks: Jackson, Sharp, Taheny, Robertson, C. Stephens. That would be an almighty haul.

Will be very interesting to see how Wells play this. Because as I see it, there is absolutely no way that we can get away with getting rid of any less than 8 players off the main list, if we want to spread the picks. If we trade up and only have 3 picks, then it's possible Henderson or Menegola stay.

Bring on next week/trade night, so we can see what the master has in store!

Like it all except Narkle out of your 22 next year. Wtf?!!

De Koning is a sensational mover for his size. Really impressed me when I saw him live this year. No sure about how competitive he is. Not to say he isn't at all but just not sure. If he is then he looks a very very likely type.

DeKoning, maybe uncompetitive you say, where did you read that, competitive enough to be named U18 All Australian fullback.
I couldn't find a knock on him.

DeKoning, maybe uncompetitive you say, where did you read that, competitive enough to be named U18 All Australian fullback.
I couldn't find a knock on him.

I think you’ll find foodles means that he’s not your aggressive type of defender. I’ve seen no evidence of him being super competitive. He has a laconic style that can sometimes be confused with lacking intensity. I’m just not sure in this case. Haven’t seen enough of him.

Last edited:
I'll interested to see what we could do with 36 & 37. I'd be looking at the 22 names we have ooc next year and thinking there's a chance we'd be delisting at least a few of Jarvis, Schlensog, Kennerley, Fort, Parsons, Tarca, Abbott. Ablett, Taylor already flagged retirement. I wonder if there's any clubs that would be prime targets to swap into future picks with those. Two current seconds for two future seconds?

I think you’ll find foodles means that he’s not your aggressive type of defender. I’ve seen no evidence of that. He has a laconic style that can sometimes be confused with lacking intensity. I’m just not sure in this case. Haven’t seen enough of him.

I wonder if he knows who DeKoning is based on that sort of add hock comment.
Probably not, but one of Vic Country's 7 all aust honored. Chris Doerre had him at his P20 in August.

Last edited:
Moving Menegola as you suggest is very much like what we did in 99 I think ..moving Mansfield. Yes he gave Carlton good service and Cook later said he would have like to find another player to move (hard call i think he had to get the costs under control) ... but it gave us a pick for Chapman.
If we can look back at this year as the icing on the last the last 2 or 3 in accumulating young talent ...then brave calls will be applauded.

Moving on a seasoned player would give us that chance depending on what we get for him and it would give us cap relief. The loss of kelly hurts on field and in the cap.
Still haven’t seen anything from anyone reputable on Menegola. No journo or news outlet running with it. Not to mention it makes no sense for Geelong given we have no need for picks or cap space at this time. We couldn’t get value for Menegola either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much as I see it although I think if he was there ..Kemp would tempt is ..the size the potential leadership..and maybe he slips thru because of his knee
The temptation Kemp and Stephens Injury V discount because of injury

Kemp is very tempting but itd be a brave recruiter to take the risk top 5.

Still haven’t seen anything from anyone reputable on Menegola. No journo or news outlet running with it. Not to mention it makes no sense for Geelong given we have no need for picks or cap space at this time. We couldn’t get value for Menegola either.

It does make sense because of the FA situation though. But itd only happen if someone else offers us a very good pick or player for him otherwise he will stay.

It does make sense because of the FA situation though. But itd only happen if someone else offers us a very good pick or player for him otherwise he will stay.
Honestly reckon he’s more likely to be extended beyond 2020 than engage FA.

I think the Suns would say no... and just offer a late pick for Smith. They will get him for almost nothing.. certainly a pick they will barely use.
Just one of those is more use to us than a late pick

15 for 17 or 20 for 24 with Smith

I’d say the latter would be the only one they’d consider.

I think you’ll find foodles means that he’s not your aggressive type of defender. I’ve seen no evidence of him being super competitive. He has a laconic style that can sometimes be confused with lacking intensity. I’m just not sure in this case. Haven’t seen enough of him.

Not aggressive in the Kolo sense? Just gets the job done ?

Smith and Buzza to GC for their pick 78 or 90. Both out of contract. Will be lucky to even get pick 78 for them both.

Menegola and one of our picks to Freo if we're trying to get Sean Darcy.

Trade Parsons this year for a third or fourth round pick while he's got the currency of a one year deal.

Kelly was our only player born in 1994. 26 next year. Prime age for AFL players. Wouldn't mind going after a B. Crouch or O. Wines in the next 4 days.

We’ve really only lost one player from a team that won the minor premiership so we should still be competitive.

I would love for Constable to step up in Kelly’s role. He can’t spread and use the ball like Kelly but he can win the ball inside and hopefully be a Joel Corey type.

If we’re looking for Fogarty, Narkle, Constable, Clarke and Cockatoo to be playing a bigger parts then whose playing smaller ones?

Have thought about our list as a whole, and what our de-listing/trading will look like (based on Wells' comments, outside interest, comments on here and in the media etc.) and this is what I've got so far:

Reckon that as of Round 1 next year, we could have up to 9 players replaced out of the prelim side from last year. Taylor will be kept as depth, while Hendo is moved on. We showed early on in the year that we were balanced down back without him or Hendo, so hopefully during the review they recognize that he doesn't need to play every game.

IN: Hawkins, Duncan, Constable, Kreuger, Clark, Rohan, High draft pick like Flanders, and Steven or Cockatoo (depending on if they're available/even at Geelong in Steven's case)

To this (best side if everyone is available, we get a top 10 draft pick like Flanders or similar/Steven comes in and gets back to even half of what his best is):

Bolded highlight the changes, which takes an alright looking side, to something pretty special. Reckon Menegola gets traded, given where he falls in the pecking order. If he stays, then he won't play every game.

**********************************************************************************************************

De-list/trade/place on rookie list (speculative): Cunico, Jones, Henderson, Menegola, Scooter, Kelly, Smith, Future 2nd (for Steven) Pick 17, Future 1st (Eagles pick to trade up order) - Buzza on rookie list (8 spots avail.)

Trade in/draft/rookie upgrade (speculative): Steven, Pick 5-9, Pick 14, Pick 24, Pick 36, Pick 37, Zuthrie, Simpson (8 spots filled)

********************************************************************************************************

All highly highly speculative, but that seems to me like a snapshot of what we could expect. I'm actually warming up to the idea of only getting one top 10 pick, and drafting with the rest. Robertson would be a good get (and would really peeve the Weagles to no end, haha - little bit of payback).

Hopefully we end up drafting any of these 4 players with a top 10 pick: D. Stephens/Ash/Flanders/Kemp. Then we get any of these 5 with the remaining picks: Jackson, Sharp, Taheny, Robertson, C. Stephens. That would be an almighty haul.

Will be very interesting to see how Wells play this. Because as I see it, there is absolutely no way that we can get away with getting rid of any less than 8 players off the main list, if we want to spread the picks. If we trade up and only have 3 picks, then it's possible Henderson or Menegola stay.

9 changes and Guthrie still gets a game.God help us.

Why does Parf miss out?

To me, there is nothing more certain than Taheny and Sharp on our list, provided they are available with our picks.
To me looks very certain, given their connections to the club players already.

I do really like Taheny, but he can have very quiet games. He’s another like Gary Rohan, doesn’t get a lot of it so he needs to make them count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back