Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

Darcy Parish come on down

Rabble club

Not that I think the club will but this is probably the best chance we have before Tassie comes in to do a genuine clean out of the older players and the under performers, try and trade out guys who won't be part of our next flag tilt and try and get some picks in.
Esava likely gone, would be ok with the club floating names like Kolo, Bews, Parfitt, Simpson and seeing if there are any takers to get some draft currency.
And put the over 30 brigade on notice. The failures of this season sit largely on their shoulders. Either retire or be prepared to spend a lot of time in the reserves next season.
Smith is retiring, hopefully Ceglar joins him, and its probably time for the tap on the shoulder for Menegola and Tuohy.

We have talented kids, time to back them in starting with the match against the Bulldogs.

Shopping list needs to be a minimum of 2 mids in the 23-25 bracket, a back up ruck because who knows if Stanley drops off the cliff next season and we can't rely on an untested Conroy. And right now our only mid 20s mids are Parfitt, sometimes Bowes, sometimes Simpsons and sometimes O'Connor. Its no surprised we have shanked this season so badly.

Not that I think the club will but this is probably the best chance we have before Tassie comes in to do a genuine clean out of the older players and the under performers, try and trade out guys who won't be part of our next flag tilt and try and get some picks in.
Esava likely gone, would be ok with the club floating names like Kolo, Bews, Parfitt, Simpson and seeing if there are any takers to get some draft currency.
And put the over 30 brigade on notice. The failures of this season sit largely on their shoulders. Either retire or be prepared to spend a lot of time in the reserves next season.
Smith is retiring, hopefully Ceglar joins him, and its probably time for the tap on the shoulder for Menegola and Tuohy.

We have talented kids, time to back them in starting with the match against the Bulldogs.

Shopping list needs to be a minimum of 2 mids in the 23-25 bracket, a back up ruck because who knows if Stanley drops off the cliff next season and we can't rely on an untested Conroy. And right now our only mid 20s mids are Parfitt, sometimes Bowes, sometimes Simpsons and sometimes O'Connor. Its no surprised we have shanked this season so badly.

Certainly need a thorough clean out but we have little draft capital this draft to bring much elite young talent in. Unless we can secure some decent trades then we are in for a number of bleak winters.

Can we seriously just fxxk Kolo off

I was all for loading him into the cannon some years ago......he gave us a serviceable season last year, but other than that, he's been a very average footballer whose been hidden for the majority of his career imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was all for loading him into the cannon a some years ago......he gave us a serviceable season last year, but other than that, he's been a very average footballer whose been hidden for the majority of his career imo.

It’s time now. If he’s out of contract I’d delist him.

Trouble is Kolo, Bews, Parfitt and Simpson now have little currency imo, but I'm with you in hoping Ceglar, Menegola and Tuohy all retire gracefully.

Kolo played really well last year and was excellent up until rd 10 but the back 14 games he’s been back to the the bumbling, slow, poor decision maker that he’s looked the first 6-7 years of his career. He’s absolutely no chance of getting delisted however. Crazy talk.

It’s also surely not gone unnoticed how bad SDK has been this entire year. Yep bad injuries but he has barely played a decent game. Hes looked every bit the second year 1st 22 player he is. His lack of physicality compared to last year is alarming.

They have to get rid of at least two (playing) vets this year to stagger it out a bit. I’d say Touhy has to go as we actually need Rhys. It’s just a given that Ceglar and Menegola are gone but they make little to no difference in the grand scheme of things.

At least we should get a top 10 pick this year to add to the young group we have. Disappointing season not helped by the injuries throughout the season.

Hope we can find a couple of free agents to add and please find a ruck from somewhere who can at least compete each week.

There’s a few young players that I hope play a lot of games next year. It’ll be exciting watching them develop.
One area that we need big improvement is onfield leadership. The game tonight was hard to watch Stewart and Guthrie can hold their heads high with their efforts.

There’s some highly rated players that were really poor Dekoning looked lost down back and gave up so much ground to King. Henry didn’t get near it and Kolo can’t keep getting picked when he turns the ball over so often.
We carried a lot of veteran players this year who looked past it. They won’t all go but the ones that stay need to find a role to suit where they are at now not where they used to be.

The issue is we dont have the picks (unless we split our 1st pick for multiple lower picks) to do a full cleanout and the guys you are suggesting like kolo bews etc are too old to have any tradw value.

Sav will go
Tuohy smith cegs will retire menegola will get pushed. Bews and duncan should get pushed but wont ditto kolo (all are contracted and can play vfl like higgins did).
Rohan is 50-50 as is stanley.
Delist simpson and find parfitt a new home thats enough changes.

We desperately need to get 22 games into clark next year (to be fair i think he would have played all year if not injured) and knevitt and find some mature mids. The midfield let us down all year the fwds are good enough to win a flag and henry is a real find.
We need to sort out the ruck-thats savs last game and kolo is cooked so sdk will have to play FB all year. Stanley is almost done. So we either have to after grundy (which i would) or we need to bring in a cheap mature ruck (ie flynn or sweet) who can play from round 1 until conway is ready in 2-3 years. Our refusal to pick a ruck in the MSD despite obvious need was arrogant and burnt us once blitz went down.

Last edited:
Kolo played really well last year and was excellent up until rd 10 but the back 14 games he’s been back to the the bumbling, slow, poor decision maker that he’s looked the first 6-7 years of his career. He’s absolutely no chance of getting delisted however. Crazy talk.

It’s also surely not gone unnoticed how bad SDK has been this entire year. Yep bad injuries but he has barely played a decent game. Hes looked every bit the second year 1st 22 player he is. His lack of physicality compared to last year is alarming.

They have to get rid of at least two (playing) vets this year to stagger it out a bit. I’d say Touhy has to go as we actually need Rhys. It’s just a given that Ceglar and Menegola are gone but they make little to no difference in the grand scheme of things.

I liked your post for the comments re: SDK etc, but for mine, Kolo should be strapped to a North Korean missile and fired somewhere into the Sea of Japan.

At least we should get a top 10 pick this year to add to the young group we have. Disappointing season not helped by the injuries throughout the season.

Hope we can find a couple of free agents to add and please find a ruck from somewhere who can at least compete each week.

There’s a few young players that I hope play a lot of games next year. It’ll be exciting watching them develop.
One area that we need big improvement is onfield leadership. The game tonight was hard to watch Stewart and Guthrie can hold their heads high with their efforts.

There’s some highly rated players that were really poor Dekoning looked lost down back and gave up so much ground to King. Henry didn’t get near it and Kolo can’t keep getting picked when he turns the ball over so often.
We carried a lot of veteran players this year who looked past it. They won’t all go but the ones that stay need to find a role to suit where they are at now not where they used to be.

I'd argue that it's up to Scott to find them a suitable role, or consign them to the VFL.

The thing with players like Kolo and Bews, just because they're contracted doesn't mean you have to play them in the seniors. Ideally they'll be passed by and be depth in the VFL. Port had their skipper playing reserves most of the year - once the shine of the 2022 premiership wears off come the start of 2024, everyone should be on equal footing when it comes to selection regardless of past exploits.

I'm like a broken record on here... Ill say it again.. Matt Crouch is a must.. Won't cost anything in picks, we're missing another in and under player to help Atkins, as we still shouldn't have to rely on a 33 old Dangerfield to save us.. We still need to play games in Knevitt, Clarke etc but we shouldn't be relying in Guthrie, Blitz and Dangerfield as there past there best..
Let's get Matt Crouch

The thing with players like Kolo and Bews, just because they're contracted doesn't mean you have to play them in the seniors. Ideally they'll be passed by and be depth in the VFL. Port had their skipper playing reserves most of the year - once the shine of the 2022 premiership wears off come the start of 2024, everyone should be on equal footing when it comes to selection regardless of past exploits.

I do agree with that-we did it with higgins and dahl last year..i get that injuries have stopped us doing it this year but next year bews and kolo in particular should be vfl all year and rohan needs to do similar (dempsey) as does stanley at times so we can sort out our future ruck setup. If i see all the vets in the 1s i will not be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back