Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

IMG_3107.jpeg

Pic taken at the Hawks vs Pies game on Saturday.

Roughead being the recruiting manager doesn't bode overly well for us there, but it could be nothing.

Must be said though, not a huge fan of a player being at another game while OOC when his current side is playing, even if he is injured.

We'd be dirty if one of our players was doing that, and could totally understand if Dogs fans were pissed off.

Hawks interest in Barrass (which would require a substantial trade) may indicate that they think it’s done that Smith nominates us.
I'm more worried that with the interest in Battle as well (for free) that this is starting to become their thinking...

5e743d91da85c7ff4574cd051c5c581931b2bab7.jpg

I think Port is line ball with their mids and Gergiades. Don't agree on GCS, GWS, WBD, MEL

Collingwood really depends how cooked you think their old guys are and whether Daicos is worth 3x A graders.

Who do you rate from those sides you don’t agree on as A graders?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

View attachment 2057886

Roughead being the recruiting manager doesn't bode overly well for us there, but it could be nothing.

Must be said though, not a huge fan of a player being at another game while OOC when his current side is playing, even if he is injured.

We'd be dirty if one of our players was doing that, and could totally understand if Dogs fans were pissed off.
Not sure you'd bother taking photos if you're only weeks away from being his colleague

Who do you rate from those sides you don’t agree on as A graders?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gcs: Rowell, Anderson, Miller, King, possibly lukosius if he pulls his finger out. Witts is one of the best rucks in the game

GWS: Green, Greene, Hogan, Taylor, Callaghan, Cadman*, Jones*
(*projecting as more than are)

WBD: Bont, JUH, Darcy, Libba. They also have an accumulation of not quite but close A graders that puts most lists to shame with English, Weightman, Treloar, Smith, Macrae, West, Jones, Richards, Naughton, Dale, Jones. I cannot understand them not being top 4 every year with that.

MEL: May, Lever, Tracc, Gawn, Oliver. I expect Windsor to track that way, with Pickett there if he can be consistent.

View attachment 2057886

Doesn’t look like a photo taken at a footy game on a freezing day at the G, not to mention Roughhead in standard clothes and not club apparel.
Likely to be a sportsman’s night event of some sort

Regarding that photo of Roughead, Smith & Kaylan Ponga - it's from the product launch for "Stuff That Matters", which is a new antiperspirant deodorant that Smith & Ponga are the promotional faces of, while Roughead is also part of the ad

The company is also helping raise funds for young men's mental health programs through The Man Cave - so can understand why they've got athletes like those 3 involved

Looking at photos from their launch event, it would see that it was held at the football on Saturday or Sunday - smart decision knowing who their target audience is for the product but also who they're looking too assist through the programs at The Man Cave

Regarding that photo of Roughead, Smith & Kaylan Ponga - it's from the product launch for "Stuff That Matters", which is a new antiperspirant deodorant that Smith & Ponga are the promotional faces of, while Roughead is also part of the ad

The company is also helping raise funds for young men's mental health programs through The Man Cave - so can understand why they've got athletes like those 3 involved

Looking at photos from their launch event, it would see that it was held at the football on Saturday - smart decision knowing who their target audience is for the product but also who they're looking too assist through the programs at The Man Cave

That looks wild. I just want to party with Dan Gorringe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith with body and mindset right, playing midfield minutes, is the type of player that has the 'potential' to win a Brownlow medal

Ultimate professional borderline obsessive!

So we shouldn't be reading anything into a photo with a member of the Hawks list management team??

I have no idea whether he is coming - it still could be another Rawlings, Frawley, Hopper situation...

Or it could be another Danger, Cameron (not saying he's that quality obviously), where he has likely been committed here for some time..

Most of the media seem to think we're now leading the race - but that doesn't mean anything to me. I think we should still be confident in landing him.

Also - where is Turbocat? Miss their contributions and thoughts immensely! I don't post as much as others, but I have loved reading their thoughts over the years..

So we shouldn't be reading anything into a photo with a member of the Hawks list management team??

I have no idea whether he is coming - it still could be another Rawlings, Frawley, Hopper situation...

Or it could be another Danger, Cameron (not saying he's that quality obviously), where he has likely been committed here for some time..

Most of the media seem to think we're now leading the race - but that doesn't mean anything to me. I think we should still be confident in landing him.

Also - where is Turbocat? Miss their contributions and thoughts immensely! I don't post as much as others, but I have loved reading their thoughts over the years..

I'd only be reading into it if the photo was taken at Hawthorn HQ

The fact the photo is from the launch party for a product both have connections with would suggest there's little need to read too much into it

Looking back through a bunch of Smith's highlights, it shows him doing a lot of his best work on the outside as a guy who uses his tank to work into space and receive the ball.

I don't think he is going to be our Danger replacement on the inside.

I actually don't even think he is overly explosive/powerful/fast... more a huge grinder with a massive tank that will run all day long and that gets him free and open in dangerous positions (def some power though).

I'm not complaining about this by the way... I still think we could do with an elite ball winner on the inside to feed it out to the Smith/Holmes running types.

Perhaps Bruhn and Clark will be that in the future.

Last edited:
Only have to look at his finals series in 2021 to know how special he is as a mid
He'd be a massive get for us - I think many Cats fans are underrating him IMO.

This could be a guy we look back on in 5-years time and think "we hit the jackpot there".

I have always been of the view that you trade high draft picks for guys for established guys who have proven themselves at the level - especially guys that have done so to a high standard. Even if we had say P8, no guarantee we find a gun player or even a player who ends up making it in the draft. Plenty of dud players drafted in the top 10 over the years.

If I'm the Dogs, I'm asking for more than P12 - 16. Won't be popular here, but if we were in the Dogs position, we'd be doing the same. You pay for proven quality at AFL level - especially a 23 yo with over 100-games experience.

I know he's coming off an ACL - but it's not like he's coming off mutiple ACLs and other significant injuries. It won't be a significant factor (as much as we'd like it to be to lower the trade value / cost) IMO.

If we make finals and flame out and finish 8th (probably worst case with our fixture) then we will land pick 11.

So pick 11 would be our first rounder, but 11 will likely end up being 13 after Ashcroft + Lombard bids.

So it ends up being #13... but we might even finish higher and it be even lower than 13.

Anyway here are the last 8 drafts picks 13 through to 18 (not in correct order but last 8).

I'd take Smith over rolling the dice on a later draft pick every day of the week.

As much as people think Smith is a risk... I think Smith is much safer than the draft... and he should impact instantly.

Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.26.26 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.28.52 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.29.18 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.29.57 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.26.55 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.27.22 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.27.53 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.28.27 pm.png

Last edited:
Looking back through a bunch of Smith's highlights, it shows him doing a lot of his best work on the outside as a guy who uses his tank to work into space and receive the ball.

I don't think he is going to be our Danger replacement on the inside.

I actually don't even think he is overly explosive/powerful/fast... more a huge grinder with a massive tank that will run all day long and that gets him free and open in dangerous positions (def some power though).

I'm not complaining about this by the way... I still think we could do with an elite ball winner on the inside to feed it out to the Smith/Holmes running types.

Perhaps Bruhn and Clark will be that in the future.
I think highlight reels tend to focus on the biggest impact moments where you're the finisher or biting off a big inside 50 so there's a bit of selection bias at work there

I'm more worried that with the interest in Battle as well (for free) that this is starting to become their thinking...

5e743d91da85c7ff4574cd051c5c581931b2bab7.jpg
Unfortunately you can’t deny that the hawks are a very well run club. They are much like us in that manner. They target players externally very well similar to how we do.

I think highlight reels tend to focus on the biggest impact moments where you're the finisher or biting off a big inside 50 so there's a bit of selection bias at work there
He definitely has a burst of speed from a contest. He is a well rounded player. Both inside and outside.

I would argue strongly that Patrick dangerfield is the best inside midfielder in the history of the game, and there are some serious statistics to back that claim up.

So there is no such thing as a dangerfield replacement, but we can bring in very good midfielders to continue moving forward.

No doubt... and I even typed basically that exact line but deleted it.

Still... I think he is still more of an outside type that uses his gut running more than a guy that we will just chuck in the middle and expect him to be Danger or LDU in tight.

Smiths clearance to possession ratio has always been on the lesser side... indicating he is more outside than inside (which is fine)... I'll happily take a gun, hard running outside player who can also do some inside work.

I see him as more of a Holmes than an LDU type.

No doubt... and I even typed basically that exact line but deleted it.

Still... I think he is still more of an outside type that uses his gut running more than a guy that we will just chuck in the middle and expect him to be Danger or LDU in tight.

Smiths clearance to possession ratio has always been on the lesser side... indicating he is more outside than inside (which is fine)... I'll happily take a gun, hard running outside player who can also do some inside work.

I see him as more of a Holmes than an LDU type.
If you have a look at Smith in 2022 [17 games] and LDU this year [18 games] the stats heavily suggest you are correct.
Smith has LDU covered for uncontested disposals, metres gained, score involvements, rebound 50s, inside 50s, goal assists and kicks, all things you tend to attribute to wingers/outside mids who get the ball with time and space to deliver the ball to forwards.

Meanwhile LDU has Smith covered for centre and stoppage clearances, handballs, tackles, contested disposals.

And the main one is that LDU has Smith covered in contested disposals by quite a large margin, meanwhile Smith has LDU covered in uncontested disposals by a large margin.

So while Smith is a great get if he gets back to 2021/2022 form, we still need a midfield bull to replace Danger to get the ball to Smith/Holmes etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back