Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Or the deal was just way too good to say no.

Doesn’t mean he is invested, it means that freo were prepared to pay him way more than anyone else.

And no club should be helping them out of that situation. Leave them to deal with their mess, it is going to be an albatross for years to come.

disagree. we should help them out when we can. we take brayshaw off their hands end of 2025 to alleviate their salary cap pressure.:p

If anyone ever wants to reflect on the genius of our recruiting and list management department, today is the day. Consider this:

- today we are witnessing the imminent retirement of an all time great key forward, an irreplaceable player who has led our forward line masterfully for over a decade. Inevitably this announcement would be a seismic shift for any club and would leave a hole in the team that would take years to overcome.

Except, at Geelong it has been managed brilliantly. There is no doubt who is the replacement, we have been developing him for 3+ years to step into the role, we have introduced him gently and he looks ready to have a real impact almost straight away.

It is pretty amazing really. Far out we are fortunate to follow such a well run club.

If anyone ever wants to reflect on the genius of our recruiting and list management department, today is the day. Consider this:

- today we are witnessing the imminent retirement of an all time great key forward, an irreplaceable player who has led our forward line masterfully for over a decade. Inevitably this announcement would be a seismic shift for any club and would leave a hole in the team that would take years to overcome.

Except, at Geelong it has been managed brilliantly. There is no doubt who is the replacement, we have been developing him for 3+ years to step into the role, we have introduced him gently and he looks ready to have a real impact almost straight away.

It is pretty amazing really. Far out we are fortunate to follow such a well run club.
I'll toast to this.
Well said.

Yeah we've got like 6 guys who can play wing on a regular basis.

We need inside mids, that's why they've gone after Baz hard.
Wells/Mack are the best in the League, people gotta have faith.
If we get Baz we could set Holmes & Dempsey up as one of the best wing duos in the game for 10 years.

They'll still get chances inside, but having that speed, class, & creativity on the outside while being fed by a half decent midfield could be pretty special.

Baz, Bruhn, & Clark being the main ones for the future, with Danger & Stewart in there next year too.

If we get Baz we could set Holmes & Dempsey up as one of the best wing duos in the game for 10 years.

They'll still get chances inside, but having that speed, class, & creativity on the outside while being fed by a half decent midfield could be pretty special.

Baz, Bruhn, & Clark being the main ones for the future, with Danger & Stewart in there next year too.
And Guthrie could be a great recruit next year (I think I might have said that same time last year!!)

Well we left it to latest point possible and spent less than most. And it remains to be seen if he'll be sufficient. But for now he just need to be what he is.

Well we left it to latest point possible and spent less than most. And it remains to be seen if he'll be sufficient. But for now he just need to be what he is.
No we didn’t. We spent big on Cameron to support Hawk and then be the guy. And we started a succession plan for the next key forward 4 years before Hawk retired, which is now starting to pay off.

It is a Masterclass in list management.

Interested to hear from a Geelong perspective, what is a fair trade for Bailey Smith?

Interested to hear from a Geelong perspective, what is a fair trade for Bailey Smith?
Me... Personal... if he didn't do his knee I would of said a top 10 pick... But cos he done his knee, I'd say our 1st round pick ( approx 12-16 ) should do the job...

What's your thoughts he is worth?

No we didn’t. We spent big on Cameron to support Hawk and then be the guy. And we started a succession plan for the next key forward 4 years before Hawk retired, which is now starting to pay off.

It is a Masterclass in list management.

I think its way too early to call it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me... Personal... if he didn't do his knee I would of said a top 10 pick... But cos he done his knee, I'd say our 1st round pick ( approx 12-16 ) should do the job...

What's your thoughts he is worth?
Honestly think we would be getting shafted if we only got a mid-first round pick for Baz.

They're saying pick 6 for Rioli and 2x first for Dan Houston, who are both 4 years older and play in a less prominent position than Baz. Taranto and Hopper went for two firsts. Adam Cerra went for pick 6.

We used pick 7 to draft him, and he has more than lived up to that pick. The modern game really suits Baz with his gut-running + power combination. IMO we should be asking for a high first rounder or two mid-first round picks considering his age and skillset.

Honestly think we would be getting shafted if we only got a mid-first round pick for Baz.

They're saying pick 6 for Rioli and 2x first for Dan Houston, who are both 4 years older and play in a less prominent position than Baz. Taranto and Hopper went for two firsts. Adam Cerra went for pick 6.

We used pick 7 to draft him, and he has more than lived up to that pick. The modern game really suits Baz with his gut-running + power combination. IMO we should be asking for a high first rounder or two mid-first round picks considering his age and skillset.
You will probably end up getting our first and probably a future second with maybe some other pick swaps

Which would be about right

The knee injury, the fact he doesn't want to be there and cap issues all against the Dogs here
Late first probably does it with pick exchange later on

Those guys both have multiple years to run on contracts though bailey is ooc.
Given that id say a pick 10-15 plus say a 3rd rounder somewhere is fair.

I think that's where it will land.

Any chance cats give up this year's and next year's first, or is that off the table?

We didnt want to trade our fr1 in the henry deal. I cant imagine we do it now with an ageing list.
Current r1 plus r2s or r3s would be what we offer.

We didnt want to trade our fr1 in the henry deal. I cant imagine we do it now with an ageing list.
Current r1 plus r2s or r3s would be what we offer.

And the key here is he's OOC.
Dogs and Sam Power aren't stupid.

Bailey doesn't want to be there, that ship has clearly sailed.
He's Out of Contract, the whole "walk them to the draft" is a silly tired old trope that basically hasn't been used since what? Luke Ball and Nick Stevens like a decade and two decades ago.
Ball ended up where he wanted to go and Stevens ended up at Blues instead of Pies which meant Port got nothing anyway.

Dogs and every AFL team for that matter don't want to go down that route.
You play silly buggers you end up pissing off Bailey's agent, an oppo team's list manager and not to mention Bailey himself.

His agent would then steer his players under his management away from the Dogs like Colin Young and Freo. It's a lose/lose

Last edited:
is it a slight concern that we had to go back to jed bews to play a lock down small forward role after avoiding it all year. nothing against bews, hope he goes on and win another flag this year but he is closer to the end than the start.

Suprise we havent had a younger replacement that can do that role consistently.

Yeah, I would be comfortable throwing in our current first and second but that's more than most would be.

The knee is an issue, you're also too stacked to play him in his preferred position. All the names you mentioned are first name on the board for their position at the club they're leaving. At the dogs you'll have to play him as an outright winger. His upside is big too but he hasn't hit that potential, the players you mention in trades all performed to a higher level consistently for years whereas bailey has gone backwards at times. You can't be paying on potential.

You also get less when a player is pushed and pretty clear his time with bevo is done. Big Luke may have learned a lesson about player trades after stringer but the tea leaves are clear.

So, while you won't find a bigger proponent of this trade here, I also wouldn't advise any more than our first and a second. Most here would think I'm over selling the upside

How about we start the Bailey Smith trade negotiations by offering pick 94... 😎

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back