Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Jed is an UFA. If he gets a contract elswhere, he is very likely to take it.

He's had a very good career with us, pretty underrated player. I'd imagine antoher club will offer him a two-year contract and he will take it.
Very likely

I could easily see a club offering him 2 years but i would only offer 1 if i was Geelong as we have players who should be ready to take his role by next year or at least 100% by the year after.

Mullin should be ready to go next year you would think.

I'm choosing to ignore the concept of giving him up in trade.

Future captain

Definitely not giving him up

Just the equivalent draft pick is all

I love the fact that our two RS nominees this year are pick 15 in the rookie draft & the second last pick on the ND. And when given the chance, both players have slotted into the senior team seamlessly this season - shows it can be worth haggling over those later picks as there is value to be found

Well, if we are picking at 10 this year i be betting we will.
If it's its 16-17 or 18 then u may well be correct.
We shall see what AMack decides.
Probable bids for Ashcroft, Lombard, compo for Battle so it's most likely is pick 12-14 if you're being pessimistic. I think that pick misses the kids I'd want anyway.

Next year we'll have retirees and a harder draw

Yeah, I would be comfortable throwing in our current first and second but that's more than most would be.
I think that's about fair. I'd like a 3rd (either this year or next) to come back just because we'll likely have a lot of list spots to fill with retirements over the next 2 years and I'd rather not have to fill them with the last few picks in the draft like last year (although that's turning out ok for us so far).

My level of comfort with that scenario is also somewhat dependent on where we end up finishing on the ladder. If we make top 4 and our first rounder is mid to late teens, that would be great value. If we end up closer to 8th, it's still probably fair value, but I'd haggle a bit more for that later pick swap.

I think the likely future captain is between Bruhn and Holmes right now but i could also see Doritos or Clark being one as well

Zach Guthrie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a wonderful rags to riches story of an AFL journey that would be.

He was only "rags" in the minds of a few - to those that mattered he was never viewed in that manner

If anyone ever wants to reflect on the genius of our recruiting and list management department, today is the day. Consider this:

- today we are witnessing the imminent retirement of an all time great key forward, an irreplaceable player who has led our forward line masterfully for over a decade. Inevitably this announcement would be a seismic shift for any club and would leave a hole in the team that would take years to overcome.

Except, at Geelong it has been managed brilliantly. There is no doubt who is the replacement, we have been developing him for 3+ years to step into the role, we have introduced him gently and he looks ready to have a real impact almost straight away.

It is pretty amazing really. Far out we are fortunate to follow such a well run club.
Well said and I agree with almost all those points. We got very lucky with some father sons like Hawkins / Ablett x2 / Scarlett but we have also built a very good list around some of those players and managed the transition very well over a long period of time. We should rightly be seen as the benchmark of the competition.

Except with our current list.......I'm not convinced Neale will be a long term replacement. Does not look like a natural footballer to me. I'm happy to be proven wrong of course.
I think we will use our first as much as it would be nice to keep it , maybe a FR2 included at the most …dogs will be unhappy and cats will be unhappy but that’s how it goes
Our first round pick will be what gets the deal done to land Bailey Smith.

Anything less will be a steal and every other club would be reluctant to enter trade discussions with Geelong in future - and that's not our brand now, nor has it been in the past. Talk to any recruiter and they'll tell you its "swings and roundabouts". You win on some and you lose on some, but as long as you smooth it out over multiple drafts then its a part of doing business. I doubt too many clubs would take a scorched earth policy over single standalone trades - history says you'll just get torched down the track and the karma bus will get you on other deals.

Well said and I agree with almost all those points. We got very lucky with some father sons like Hawkins / Ablett x2 / Scarlett but we have also built a very good list around some of those players and managed the transition very well over a long period of time. We should rightly be seen as the benchmark of the competition.

Except with our current list.......I'm not convinced Neale will be a long term replacement. Does not look like a natural footballer to me. I'm happy to be proven wrong of course.

Our first round pick will be what gets the deal done to land Bailey Smith.

Anything less will be a steal and every other club would be reluctant to enter trade discussions with Geelong in future - and that's not our brand now, nor has it been in the past. Talk to any recruiter and they'll tell you its "swings and roundabouts". You win on some and you lose on some, but as long as you smooth it out over multiple drafts then its a part of doing business. I doubt too many clubs would take a scorched earth policy over single standalone trades - history says you'll just get torched down the track and the karma bus will get you on other deals.
Do you think we will get any other deals done JJ? Looking like Waterman is about to sign a long-term deal with WC (surprise-surprise).

Would we be looking at some mids that aren't getting a game elsewhere?

He was only "rags" in the minds of a few - to those that mattered he was never viewed in that manner
I think you are missing the point.
Rookie selection, took years and years of persistence, hard work on the track, gym, and coaching meetings to break into the best 22.

To then go on to become a captain would be my version of an AFL rags to riches story.

How many AFL captains spend their first 5 years in the VFL off a rookie pick?? I’d assume not many

My idea isn’t monetary or background based.

We have had a pretty good run with injury this year, trading away our future first pick and copping a load of injuries, potential calamity.
Way too risky given our profile and retirements. You only need to look at collingwood trading lachie shulz for a top ten pick as a disaster

If anyone ever wants to reflect on the genius of our recruiting and list management department, today is the day. Consider this:

- today we are witnessing the imminent retirement of an all time great key forward, an irreplaceable player who has led our forward line masterfully for over a decade. Inevitably this announcement would be a seismic shift for any club and would leave a hole in the team that would take years to overcome.

Except, at Geelong it has been managed brilliantly. There is no doubt who is the replacement, we have been developing him for 3+ years to step into the role, we have introduced him gently and he looks ready to have a real impact almost straight away.

It is pretty amazing really. Far out we are fortunate to follow such a well run club.

I hope you're right. But Neale has a long, long way to go to get anywhere near Hawkins' level. Let's not put the pressure on him to expect he'll be a dominant key forward for the next decade.

On the bright side we've got some absolute bargains recently in other areas. If we keep developing our diamonds in the rough well we can afford to go big on a trade or free agent in the next couple of years. If that needs to be a key forward that's ok.

I hope you're right. But Neale has a long, long way to go to get anywhere near Hawkins' level. Let's not put the pressure on him to expect he'll be a dominant key forward for the next decade.

On the bright side we've got some absolute bargains recently in other areas. If we keep developing our diamonds in the rough well we can afford to go big on a trade or free agent in the next couple of years. If that needs to be a key forward that's ok.

Comparing stats at the same age though Neale isn't tracking too badly and Hawkins got more AFL exposure earlier than Neale has. Hawkins played 18 games in 2010 and Neale should hit 13 but honestly should have gotten about 16 this year.
Hawkins went 9 games/12 goals, 10 games/13 goals then 24 games/34 goals in his first 3 seasons at Geelong but his breakout in the eyes of many was 2011 finals/2012 season.

Neale played 0 games in his first season at Geelong, 2 games/0 goals and then 3 games/1 goal.

Neale has talent and potential and if he plays 20 games for us next season as our KPF with Hawkins gone, I am predicting he will kick at least 40 goals. I think he is developing for us in the same way that Treacy has developed for Fremantle but the difference is we might see Neale in the ruck at times next year, Treacy doesn't leave the f50 for the Dockers.

But that said Hawk played 18 games for 20 goals in 2010 before finals where he kicked one as a 22 year old, and if we do well over the next 3 weeks Neale could end up with 13 games for 20 goals before the finals hits, especially with St Kilda and Eagles being utter dogshit right now.
Would love for him to kick a bag of 4 to really get the confidence up before finals.

1723004429980.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back