Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I have been bringing him up a free agency option for 2025 trade period to basically replace Jez.

At that point our marling targets would all be a bit different:

Neale: athletic lead up forward to exploit less mobile types. 2nd ruck. Up the ground involvements for down the line marking

Henry: smart player that can lose a hbf loose defender and time a 3rd man in leap

Fogarty: strong player who can use his strength to gain superior positioning on weaker kpds.

They all play differently and I think can all work together
This makes much more sense to me

I have been bringing him up a free agency option for 2025 trade period to basically replace Jez.

At that point our marling targets would all be a bit different:

Neale: athletic lead up forward to exploit less mobile types. 2nd ruck. Up the ground involvements for down the line marking

Henry: smart player that can lose a hbf loose defender and time a 3rd man in leap

Fogarty: strong player who can use his strength to gain superior positioning on weaker kpds.

They all play differently and I think can all work together

he is only 31 this year, i feel like he can go till 33-34 like a matt richardson or lance franklyn. tall athletic type who managed to *touch wood avoid any major lower leg injuries in his career

he is only 31 this year, i feel like he can go till 33-34 like a matt richardson or lance franklyn. tall athletic type who managed to *touch wood avoid any major lower leg injuries in his career
If we got Fog at the end of next year as a FA as suggested in 2026 Jez would be 33.

We all see how quickly key forwards can fall off with JR recently and Hawkins this year by 33 Jez may be done or he may well be going strong.

In no circumstances should we target Fog this year though.

Yeah even bringing him in next year feels a little early to me but I guess you can't choose when a trade target becomes available

There is some really interesting chat gathering pace about Geelong's approach to list management at seasons end.

Some of it seems a bit left field for Geelong (and what we're used to) and involves calling time for a few players. Stanley and Hawkins are a given - and that alone creates cap space. But if the club decides to call time for Tuohy and Duncan and not offer contracts, then it starts to free up some list spots and dollars where I can then start to understand why a few people are telling me that the club will go very hard at some targets. Perhaps add Gary Rohan and Parfitt to that list of outs and it starts to look like a decent refresh.

Haven't got time to work it out, but outside of the obvious outcome - being 6-7 list spots opened up - there's the combined salary cap space with what $$ those names are all on.

A very reliable contact suggested to me earlier today that "if you think Geelong's only big name target is Bailey Smith - think again". I'm trying to get some names but it seems the club is going all in again and won't be relying solely on the draft. Established key forward and experienced big body mid was all I was told.

There is some really interesting chat gathering pace about Geelong's approach to list management at seasons end.

Some of it seems a bit left field for Geelong (and what we're used to) and involves calling time for a few players. Stanley and Hawkins are a given - and that alone creates cap space. But if the club decides to call time for Tuohy and Duncan and not offer contracts, then it starts to free up some list spots and dollars where I can then start to understand why a few people are telling me that the club will go very hard at some targets. Perhaps add Gary Rohan and Parfitt to that list of outs and it starts to look like a decent refresh.

Haven't got time to work it out, but outside of the obvious outcome - being 6-7 list spots opened up - there's the combined salary cap space with what $$ those names are all on.

A very reliable contact suggested to me earlier today that "if you think Geelong's only big name target is Bailey Smith - think again". I'm trying to get some names but it seems the club is going all in again and won't be relying solely on the draft. Established key forward and experienced big body mid was all I was told.
Doesn't sound outlandish at all to me. The club is not only always looking to push high with this coach at the helm; they're also seeing that players like Jez and Stewart still have long enough in front of them to be really influential as gamechangers against any opposition.

And with the genuine quality youth talent coming through as well, it's absolutely not the time to back down from being committed to challenge for the flag over the next few years. Unlike Hardwick's mob, stacks of the right pieces that would be required to stay in contention are already on the list.

Tuohy Hawkins and Stanley are a given at this stage to retire i think.

Hawkins and Stanley because they know it is time Tuohy i think so as well but if Duncan goes that would maybe be the club pushing him.

Bews i think will look elsewhere even though i expect us to give him a 1 year contract.
Rohan i think will be given a 1 year contract as well.

So with 3 players retiring and minimum 2-3 delisted from the rest i could easily see 6-10 spots open.

Hawkins and Stanley because they know it is time Tuohy i think so as well but if Duncan goes that would maybe be the club pushing him.

Bews i think will look elsewhere even though i expect us to give him a 1 year contract.
Rohan i think will be given a 1 year contract as well.

So with 3 players retiring and minimum 2-3 delisted from the rest i could easily see 6-10 spots open.
Thinking about it

AFL players with experience being gone at years end

Hawkins, Stanley, Tuohy retired
Bews leaving for 2 year contract somewhere else likewise Parfitt

VFL players gone

Murdoch, Jeka maybe, Hardie probably since we won't play him
Could easily see 1-3 more as well

That makes 8 spots available minimum

That's fine but all of those players are retirees (or delist in the case of Parfitt, perhaps). So what are we going to trade in order to get these players in? BSmith for 1 first rounder would be good for us, but he might cost a 1st and 2nd, or 1st and 3rd. Doesn't leave us with much currency.

I don't have an issue with tapping a few guys on the shoulder. But you can't just take 7 picks to the draft to fill the spots when 3 or 4 of those picks would be pick 60 or later.

Fogarty

Big body mid fits with the Nash rumour I heard about earlier. Oliver Wines was another floated around a while back.

I was told no interest in Waterman so wonder who the key forward is?

Still not sure why we would be looking at forwards when it it the last position we need to fill unless players are leaving.

If we got Fogarty how do we fit him in?

We are already have to many playing when both Henry and Rohan play

Miers Cameron Rohan
Stengle Neale Close

Along with Henry and Mannagh
There's every chance Rohan retires, and Neale hasn't really proven much at AFL level. It's just as likely that we're short for tall forwards next year. That said, If we've held on the Neale for this long, he probably deserves a shot at that spot to start with. And I'm not convinced Fogarty will ever be more than he is now, so I wouldn't chase him.

I think it all depends on how highly they rate Neale. In 3 years he could either be a 40-50 goal/year forward, or delisted (by which point Cameron may also be gone). We won't know whether it was the right call to chase another forward until then, but by then it's too late.

There's every chance Rohan retires, and Neale hasn't really proven much at AFL level. It's just as likely that we're short for tall forwards next year. That said, If we've held on the Neale for this long, he probably deserves a shot at that spot to start with. And I'm not convinced Fogarty will ever be more than he is now, so I wouldn't chase him.

I think it all depends on how highly they rate Neale. In 3 years he could either be a 40-50 goal/year forward, or delisted (by which point Cameron may also be gone). We won't know whether it was the right call to chase another forward until then, but by then it's too late.
Neale hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet really due to Cameron and Hawkins being so good.

By the end of next year we will have a better idea of how Neale will go long term.
We really need to get him to 50+ games asap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see people talking about salary caps etc.
It makes little sense unless a club was silly enough to backend contracts (we could be forgiven if they did that for Cameron).

But the TTP increases by 2 mil in 2025.
Factor in Hawkins, Stanley, Thuoy, maybe Rohan, maybe Bews, maybe Parfitt. I really dont see any issue.
Thats 2 mil right there + the TPP increase.

And every club will be the same. Theres going to be some serious money thrown around this year. This is where great cap management will be proven to be key in the years to come.

Front end but try and run at 95% and the fruits will come. In 2027 there's going to be guys moving to Tassie on inflated wages.
In 2030 there's going to be players leaving Tassie. Must keep some powder dry.

I see people talking about salary caps etc.
It makes little sense unless a club was silly enough to backend contracts (we could be forgiven if they did that for Cameron).

But the TTP increases by 2 mil in 2025.
Factor in Hawkins, Stanley, Thuoy, maybe Rohan, maybe Bews, maybe Parfitt. I really dont see any issue.
Thats 2 mil right there + the TPP increase.

And every club will be the same. Theres going to be some serious money thrown around this year. This is where great cap management will be proven to be key in the years to come.

Front end but try and run at 95% and the fruits will come. In 2027 there's going to begs moving to Tassie on inflated wages.
In 2030 there's going to be players leaving Tassie. Must keep some powder dry.
Agreed i don't see any issues with the TPP for the next few years

I am more worried about how we are supposedly going to get the players people keep floating whilst still have picks in the draft to replace 6 or so players.

If we have 3+ retirements and 5+ delists trades that is a lot of spots if we are getting Smith plus another mid and a forward through trades what are we going to be picking 5 players in the 60s in the draft?

That's fine but all of those players are retirees (or delist in the case of Parfitt, perhaps). So what are we going to trade in order to get these players in? BSmith for 1 first rounder would be good for us, but he might cost a 1st and 2nd, or 1st and 3rd. Doesn't leave us with much currency.

I don't have an issue with tapping a few guys on the shoulder. But you can't just take 7 picks to the draft to fill the spots when 3 or 4 of those picks would be pick 60 or later.
You are correct - and that's why the context of the discussion had with me earlier was very much a "clearing space" one. The draft will not fill those spots alone so I expect to see us chase other name players apart from Bailey Smith.

Also suspect that we'll see a couple of "surprise departures" - I'm not sure players like Neale / Knevitt / O'Connor are in the untouchables category. But the likes of Conway / Bruhn / Clark are.

Agreed i don't see any issues with the TPP for the next few years

I am more worried about how we are supposedly going to get the players people keep floating whilst still have picks in the draft to replace 6 or so players.

If we have 3+ retirements and 5+ delists trades that is a lot of spots if we are getting Smith plus another mid and a forward through trades what are we going to be picking 5 players in the 60s in the draft?
Maybe, I guess.

By the way, Lawson says hi.

:D

We all know and love Wells ability to pick a late gem but 5+ in one draft would be to much i think...
Though **** i would love it and the response it would get from certain fanbases would be epic.
It's never happening, I know. Let's face it, even one genuine gun at that 'price point' is exceptional. And the most recent example going around across the comp right now is on our list!

#lovethisclub

I have mentioned his name... Matt Taberner, as a insurance policy wouldn't be a bad idea for next season or 2. Bit like Stuart Cramari.. ill be giving Neale all my backing, but if injuries come we won't have any backup as Phoenix will be delisted. But I'm all in for Fogarty as a RFA, but there in certain in getting Fogarty as well..
Taberner salary would be pigeon feed and won't cost much, plus his a UFA

But saying that, our 1st pick we need to get the best key forward thats available

I have mentioned his name... Matt Taberner, as a insurance policy wouldn't be a bad idea for next season or 2. Bit like Stuart Cramari.. ill be giving Neale all my backing, but if injuries come we won't have any backup as Phoenix will be delisted. But I'm all in for Fogarty as a RFA, but there in certain in getting Fogarty as well..
Taberner salary would be pigeon feed and won't cost much, plus his a UFA

But saying that, our 1st pick we need to get the best key forward thats available
Our first pick is probably going for Smith
Rare that a forward that is good comes late in the second round or later

Neale hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet really due to Cameron and Hawkins being so good.

By the end of next year we will have a better idea of how Neale will go long term.
We really need to get him to 50+ games asap
Yeah I agree that he hasn't had the chance yet. And I agree that end of next year we'll have a much better idea of where he sits.

I'm just saying that there's every chance he's not up to it, and If we find that out in a year or two, when Cameron is potentially retiring as well, we'll all of a sudden have no key forwards and everyone will be saying 'why didn't we go get a forward in 2024'. We'll only know the 'right' answer in hindsight.

Exactly this. It’s all well and good for us to be looking at other big names but we literally have nothing to trade. Baz will be a first rounder.. no chance we get 2 other good/great recruits unless we are giving another future first (possible, but even that isn’t gonna net us a star).

Wonder if any of our best 22 would be on the table. Close and a 2nd rounder for example. I don’t know just spitballing on how we could manufacture any currency

Was talk about Mason Wood a few weeks ago.

Exactly this. It’s all well and good for us to be looking at other big names but we literally have nothing to trade. Baz will be a first rounder.. no chance we get 2 other good/great recruits unless we are giving another future first (possible, but even that isn’t gonna net us a star).

Wonder if any of our best 22 would be on the table. Close and a 2nd rounder for example. I don’t know just spitballing on how we could manufacture any currency
We need to be getting in the ear of some free agents over the next year or two. An A grader would be nice, but even a couple of solid B grade role players would be ok. Getting a couple of 26yo for free would offset the retirements without the need to take a bunch of pick 60's to fill the spot.

As good as Humphries has been, we can't make a habit of taking 3 of the last 7 picks every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back