Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Tap out mate.

You're not on to something with this one.
Moloney was absolutely in the best side by the time he was traded, it was needs must and we won the trade handsomely but your assertion isn't right imo
Doing research currently on a parabolic flight subject in Canada. Literally posting in between when I am waiting for operations to set up. So my mind is elsewhere for sure.

Long exhausting days from 7am till 10pm all week until the job is done.

The worse thing about silly season is that the various media outlets love running headlines like below and then fans start discussions around every potential player on the move to their club

I've loved watching Parker play (except against us), the way he attacks the ball & attitude he brings - but do people seriously think he'd be a valuable addition to our senior team

Remembering he'll be turning 32 in October

In fairness I think the actual discussions behind the scenes cover a lot of players. Some of this gets leaked and reported, but in reality only a very small portion of the discussions eventuate to actual trades occurring.

I think as fans it can be difficult to distinguish between names being discussed in due business diligence and those discussions that are to grow into more meaningful trade scenarios and people just run wild with all sorts of theories that never really took off beyond an initial chat with one party uninterested.

I think a lot of this builds into what you could call “fake news” with headlines like “ petracca wants out” when in reality all that happened was a stock standard routine chat asking the question they ask of 100 players in conducting their business as usual chats doing the rounds..

There needs to be some grounding I think and understanding how the business side of things naturally work behind the scenes.

I imagine the question got asked of Tom and selwood 100 times, and each time it would have fallen over quickly after a brief chat…

Last edited:
Tap out mate.

You're not on to something with this one.
Moloney was absolutely in the best side by the time he was traded, it was needs must and we won the trade handsomely but your assertion isn't right imo
daniel bryan wrestling GIF by WWE

Something like that??

would you guys do jack steele for a F1st?

so 24 1st for smith and 25 1st for steele in this window. saints losing battle with possibly a band 1 coming back, this give them another 1st next year when steele is 29 so doubt he be in their window when they contend.

I would be stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah OK, yeah not sure what is going on because it was uploaded with a bunch of Europe photos seemingly while in Europe

Hard to know what to believe with it all.

Posters here claim to have a source close to Baz saying he's coming, and clearly a poster on the Dogs board is claiming the same quality of source and saying he's off to the Hawks.

We'll only know the truth of it in the fullness of time.

But that photo will been seen as a mischievous troll of the GFC if he does land at Hawthorn.

The worse thing about silly season is that the various media outlets love running headlines like below and then fans start discussions around every potential player on the move to their club

I've loved watching Parker play (except against us), the way he attacks the ball & attitude he brings - but do people seriously think he'd be a valuable addition to our senior team

Remembering he'll be turning 32 in October

Its weird that in a season where its the most wild, unpredictable, where the top 4/8 isn't going to be decided til the last round of the season and we are this close to finals and Sydney is probably the only "safe" team of making finals, and weirdly we have cooked trade suggestions starting now? Usually they happen around PF weekend when all the dogshit takes for trades happen. Maybe SF weekend.

I don't remember cooker trade radio kicking off this strongly with 2 rounds left in the season.

Smith surely gone

Thinking they'd be happy to find new homes for Macrae, Daniel & maybe even Lobb - that would clear up some salary cap, unless they think Lobb is a defensive option going forward

Agree, especially coming off an ACL and not playing at any level in 2024

I know our 2024 first will be used, after that I wouldn't want to be doing more than a direct swap of picks - our F2 for their F3 type thing

Pretty certain it is the Jan Juc walking track.
Correct. Not sure which beach photo people are referring to but the one posted this week with the cat is Surfcoast.

The headline made me think they were talking about mannagh.
I honestly didnt realise Lawson was mature aged. His composure, fitness, strength and ability to fit into the gameplan makes ALOT of sense now.

Lawson and Mannagh are incredible picks imo. It's like the second coming of Stewart and Taylor for me (obviously, different types of players and may never reach those heights) - they just add something to the team that boosts us 10%.

I think we rated COS higher than Caddy, which is why we did the deal. In that sense, Mannagh was free. We were obviously never taking Caddy, even if we had the pick.

It will be interesting to follow their careers over next decade or so.

Caddy looks a very good player.
It's incredible that we have COS quietly waiting in the wings, getting all the right coaching and conditioning - in the usual Geelong way. When he finally starts to get regular games, the media and other clubs will be like - where did he come from?

Next year, I expect SDK to be a swingman/ruck/forward with Conway as the main ruck. COS to take his spot in the back line with Henry going to the second forward.

More than this year, I'm very very excited for 2025. And to me, it doesnt even matter if we dont get Smith, we've got a very dynamic and young bunch of midfielders and small forwards, and it will only get better as they play next to each other and get gametime experience.

It's incredible that we have COS quietly waiting in the wings, getting all the right coaching and conditioning - in the usual Geelong way. When he finally starts to get regular games, the media and other clubs will be like - where did he come from?

Next year, I expect SDK to be a swingman/ruck/forward with Conway as the main ruck. COS to take his spot in the back line with Henry going to the second forward.

More than this year, I'm very very excited for 2025. And to me, it doesnt even matter if we dont get Smith, we've got a very dynamic and young bunch of midfielders and small forwards, and it will only get better as they play next to each other and get gametime experience.

Yep, very happy with COS, just looks like a footballer. Importantly he is a big kid and he is got in +15 games this year. So many of these tall lean kids, struggle in first year getting on park (ie Edwards and Conway).

But he seems to be thriving on the work.

And you watch, they’ll all melt and be like, “wELL wE WiLL sEnD hIm tO tHe PsD aNd hE cAn pLaY fOR tHe TiGeRs”

1. It basically never happens, especially in modern era of player empowerment.
Players Union would be PISSED

2. Bailey’s agent would now feel slighted and when you mess with player managers you get a Colin Young and Freo situation….that is NOT good when you want players to consider your team.
Imagine now Bailey’s agent in all of his client’s ears bad mouthing the Dogs?

3. Anytime Dogs want to deal with Cats down the line in future deals and if Dogs went to grab one of our blokes, Cats will go out of their way to not work any deals with them.

4. Bailey and his agent would tell every team ahead of the Cats that if they try to Draft him he will just sit out the year and then join the Cats either way (See Cam McCarthy with GWS and Freo). Dogs would get an even worse deal for a guy who didn’t play for 2 whole years, it sends a message to other players that you aren’t willing to help players out. Not a good look at all.

It is the emptiest of empty threats and anytime anyone brings it up I just roll my eyes.
He is OOC, Bailey Smith now has the power.

Whether that is us or Hawthorn, the Dogs don’t really get a say outside of a little haggling.
Only time PSD has some threat is if the destination team is bottom of the ladder and has one of the first picks. And even then, it's more used for leverage to get the trade on more favourable terms.

Hence why Richmond supporters are so desperate to flog Liam Baker off to Freo instead of West Coast. If it was WCE, the pre-season draft would be viable since they'd have pick 3, so Richmond would have no power in the trade and be forced to accept unders.

Yep, very happy with COS, just looks like a footballer. Importantly he is a big kid and he is got in +15 games this year. So many of these tall lean kids, struggle in first year getting on park (ie Edwards and Conway).

But he seems to be thriving on the work.
Far out, you just reminded me of Edwards. That guy was top 20 rated at one stage I believe, and the way some of the posters spoke about him playing in VFL games, has definitely piqued my interest. He'll be another big boost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back