Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

If Melbourne pay 75% of his wage I'm signing him in a heartbeat. That's under $300k a year when average wage is already pushing $500k this year. He'd not be in your top 20 highest paid players.

At that point if it doesn't work out it's a pretty small impact on the cap anyway.

If they are paying 75 % of his wage they may as well keep him. From a PR perspective paying that much would be untenable. Which is why he wont get traded (as they will want to only pay 250k and no one will take the rest).

That's the risk, but there's a ton of upside too. Oliver is a premiership player, 3x All Australian, 2x AFLCA champion - and the best part is he's only 27, plenty of time to get things back on track.
What is it.. 3 years since his best.. I just don’t like it enough to think he’s gonna get back there.

He needs 6 months to fe better then 12 months to get fit and mentally right IMO… it’s just too much for me

Go Catters

If they are paying 75 % of his wage they may as well keep him. From a PR perspective paying that much would be untenable. Which is why he wont get traded (as they will want to only pay 250k and no one will take the rest).

They're not going to pay 75% and they won't need to. Realistically if he came for free and Melbourne covered 50% of his wage Geelong would do that as long as we think there's a realistic chance that he can turn things around and there's no risk of him significantly harming the club's culture.

At ~$550k he'd still only be on average wage across the next 6 years. If it doesn't work out he'd probably accept a $100k per year hair cut to just be paid out his last 4-5 years so it wouldn't be a devastating impact if it all went south.

I doubt Melbourne do it but if they're really done with him maybe they do.

wonder where/how it all went wrong for Clarry. I know someone who did functions for Melbourne FC and said in his first couple of years only Him and Max Gawn were good blokes anytime they did a late night event. Said Clarry also stayed back and helped clean up and was a genuine nice young guy

I get big Jack Steven vibes but worse

Theres some similarity. Where clayton is different is theres a much bigger and longer contract than what we had with steven.

ITK DUEL!!!

I love it ️

Lol the thing is, you don’t have to be ITK to decipher bs from certain “ITK”, just common sense. I always say to people, you don’t have to believe me but just to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You may have misinterpreted my post? Or maybe mine was a Freudian slip.🤨

The gaslighting is elite. I can’t wait for once we land Smith and watching him in the hoops to gaslight yourself into believing you wanted him all along.

Pert just taking in SEN mentioned Oliver had a very bad hand injury in preseason and needed a big plate in it.

Just another issue.

After Parf going backwards with his hand injury… Oliver’s hand actually worries me as much as his fitness.

I have no idea which way it will go with Oliver.

Look, I feel like some people in here have lived a sheltered life and/or forgotten what it’s like to be young and involved in a club.

He’s dedicated his whole life to being the best he can be. And he was for a period the best player in the AFL. This isn’t a handy guy we are talking about, this is the best of the best. You don’t lose talent. You see it in sports across the globe, once a player mentally checks out playing for a club:/himself and is heart isn’t in it, they drop away. And being 10-20% off leaves you behind the pack.

He’s still young. He doesn’t have any degenerative injuries. He hasn’t r*ped or killed anybody. His story arc doesn’t make him a villain. You have to remember many of these professionals give away a part of their youth that their close mates have to get their body in peak condition. No late nights drinking etc. while they train by themselves.

So, when his personal life turned sour, he had a partner who was older than him who would’ve given him guidance and stability and when she left, he regressed. He started partying with guys who didn’t have his best interest at heart. They wanted to party with Clarry the now celeb. He let himself down. It was unprofessional and immature but it’s not diabolical.

Now, Melbourne, instead of embracing seemed to chastise him. And it was public and they didn’t protect their best asset. Things are sour, there are divisions all across Melbourne. Petracca who seems like the perfect character for a club wants to leave. Viney who is “heart and soul”, wants to leave. It’s a bad, bad environment where good people and winners don’t want to be.

Compare this to Geelong, who recently had a player, pass out in public and receive medical attention. How did they protect the player? They let him play the next week and filled him with encouragement. Told the media he will be fine and that he’s an adult and all the other players put their arms around him.

Oliver felt alienated and obviously has an attitude where he thought f these guys, I’ve given you my best to the point we won a premiership. I cbf putting in the work. Is that the wrong attitude? For sure. But it shows he’s human and his character flaws.

I know from personal experience being in a football club with a toxic environment makes you lose the passion for the game. These aren’t excuses, this is just reality.

And I believe - and I know Geelong believe - they are a club that can offer him the support he needs and the foundation to allow him to hit his best again. And as someone else said, he’s nowhere near as far off as people are making out. It’s 10-20% off the mark physically. A gap which is easily bridged over one hard dedicated preseason, which for the entirety of his football career with the exception of just one season he’s been up to. A vast majority of his effort issues etc. is coming from his mental game, where he’s checked out.

Surely even the most sheltered of us in here can relate to that last point. Where we have checked out at work, checked out in a relationship or even checked out on TV show that was once good but now turned to shit and we suddenly find ourselves on bigfooty doomscrolling instead of paying attention to a storyline going nowhere.

I’m backing him in to hit is his best again but I believe he has to leave Melbourne to do it. And what better place for a country boy than a country club like Geelong? Gives him a chance to get out the bubble of Melbourne and back to his roots. And what better club than Geelong? Put aside how he’s been this year and just imagine looking at him at Geelong through the lens of him at his absolute best for us. It’s beyond formidable, it’s downright scary. Him extracting the footy to Danger and Smith on the burst is what wet dreams are made of. Back the club in, they get it right much, much more often than not. Exciting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the Dees know Oliver has some off field issues going on before giving him that massive contract.

Surely they must not have… or it hasn’t kicked off yet because how you’d give someone a contract that ridiculous with known issues would be insane.

I guess form and winning masks many things.

Look, I feel like some people in here have lived a sheltered life and/or forgotten what it’s like to be young and involved in a club.

He’s dedicated his whole life to being the best he can be. And he was for a period the best player in the AFL. This isn’t a handy guy we are talking about, this is the best of the best. You don’t lose talent. You see it in sports across the globe, once a player mentally checks out playing for a club:/himself and is heart isn’t in it, they drop away. And being 10-20% off leaves you behind the pack.

He’s still young. He doesn’t have any degenerative injuries. He hasn’t r*ped or killed anybody. His story arc doesn’t make him a villain. You have to remember many of these professionals give away a part of their youth that their close mates have to get their body in peak condition. No late nights drinking etc. while they train by themselves.

So, when his personal life turned sour, he had a partner who was older than him who would’ve given him guidance and stability and when she left, he regressed. He started partying with guys who didn’t have his best interest at heart. They wanted to party with Clarry the now celeb. He let himself down. It was unprofessional and immature but it’s not diabolical.

Now, Melbourne, instead of embracing seemed to chastise him. And it was public and they didn’t protect their best asset. Things are sour, there are divisions all across Melbourne. Petracca who seems like the perfect character for a club wants to leave. Viney who is “heart and soul”, wants to leave. It’s a bad, bad environment where good people and winners don’t want to be.

Compare this to Geelong, who recently had a player, pass out in public and receive medical attention. How did they protect the player? They let him play the next week and filled him with encouragement. Told the media he will be fine and that he’s an adult and all the other players put their arms around him.

Oliver felt alienated and obviously has an attitude where he thought f these guys, I’ve given you my best to the point we won a premiership. I cbf putting in the work. Is that the wrong attitude? For sure. But it shows he’s human and his character flaws.

I know from personal experience being in a football club with a toxic environment makes you lose the passion for the game. These aren’t excuses, this is just reality.

And I believe - and I know Geelong believe - they are a club that can offer him the support he needs and the foundation to allow him to hit his best again. And as someone else said, he’s nowhere near as far off as people are making out. It’s 10-20% off the mark physically. A gap which is easily bridged over one hard dedicated preseason, which for the entirety of his football career with the exception of just one season he’s been up to. A vast majority of his effort issues etc. is coming from his mental game, where he’s checked out.

Surely even the most sheltered of us in here can relate to that last point. Where we have checked out at work, checked out in a relationship or even checked out on TV show that was once good but now turned to shit and we suddenly find ourselves on bigfooty doomscrolling instead of paying attention to a storyline going nowhere.

I’m backing him in to hit is his best again but I believe he has to leave Melbourne to do it. And what better place for a country boy than a country club like Geelong? Gives him a chance to get out the bubble of Melbourne and back to his roots. And what better club than Geelong? Put aside how he’s been this year and just imagine looking at him at Geelong through the lens of him at his absolute best for us. It’s beyond formidable, it’s downright scary. Him extracting the footy to Danger and Smith on the burst is what wet dreams are made of. Back the club in, they get it right much, much more often than not. Exciting times ahead.

Great post. Be interesting how this one plays out.

I have been told Geelong are not interested
thank god.

Let that contract millstone hang around their neck - and be a warning to others about long 4+ year deals.

Trac - im vey interested.

GO Catters

90% certain if I was ever drafted I'd go full Ben Cousins with less than 1% of the talent

Pert just taking in SEN mentioned Oliver had a very bad hand injury in preseason and needed a big plate in it.

Just another issue.

After Parf going backwards with his hand injury… Oliver’s hand actually worries me as much as his fitness.

I have no idea which way it will go with Oliver.
Yeah the hand is a very real issue. Garry Lyon has been reporting it as mangled for weeks now.

I'd just about rather Dangerfield plays until 40 than recruit Clayton Oliver.
Mr Meow, not so if Clayton Oliver could produce the best version of himself if he joined the Cats, which understandably for most of us would be highly questionable. But Mr Meow, if there is 'much truth' in the rumours of the Cats 'going hard' for Oliver then I'm 100% for it, coz there must be a highly justifiable reason as to why that is the case with Wellsy's and Mackie's track record in recent times and over the journey suggesting they should have our full backing and blessing as they must know a lot more to this story than we could possibly know from the outside looking in.

Warhorse said:
I have been told Geelong are not interested (If true, then please dismiss the above comment)

Last edited:

Fantastic post. It's really not for us fans / members to be concerned about salary cap, how much it would cost in terms of trade capital (picks, players) etc.

It's up to us to back in and support a club that for the most part, has made great, timely decisions over the bets part of the last two decades..they have the 'runs on the board'. I can only imagine the uproar when we traded out Moloney and two first rounders (one secured from Moloney trade) to the tigers..

Have the club got it wrong sometimes? Of course, naturally they have. But for the most part this club makes smart decisions at the right time that have yielded great outcomes (4 flags and numerous other finals appearacnes).

Even with Smith...is there risk, of course there is. But the body of evidence we have to-date confirms he is a gun proven AFL player - and a durable one at that. I don't believe we get a 'gun' player at a significantly reduced rate based on what the evidence says is just a one-off major injury (one ACL). Could he turn into the next Dan Menzel? Of course he could, but right now there is no evidence to support that. There are not multiple ACL's, and lets be honest, his off field stuff and mental health stuff is not so bad that it entitles us to a big discount..

We can't get guns cheap and use that as a reason to suit our narrative to get someone significantly under market value. The picks we trade the Dogs could be absolute duds (see Brad Ottens trade and many others).

Picks are overrated - you trade them for proven, gun players. How may picks have we butchered in the teens - too many to remember.. A mid to late first rounder is not even close to Smith's value.

Oliver is obviously a significant and higher-risk than Smith, but for a player like that you do due dilligence and all your checks and balances....risk is higher than Smith, but you still investigate a player that could deliver big time. I will be backing in an elite organisation that gets it right more often than not.

Sometimes I feel we want gun players but we only "want a gun player but want 'em cheap". It rarely eventuates. You pay for proven quality over the unknown (draft picks).

I trust the club completely...we're risk takers, but very calculated ones at that..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back