Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I think everyone has high hopes for Conway but he has hardly played in 2 years. I would love to see him in the side next week but thats not going to happen. Edwards definitly showed some promise in the VFL, but he needs more time and is also injured. It would be a disaster to have a premiership tilt ruined because we dont have a Ruck.
From what i heard Mitch is still growing... same problem Chilli was going thru.
Whilst they do (grow) they are susceptible to more pains rather than injury to lower back legs feet than those who have stopped growing.Which if not monitored/watched closely can lead to injury/s.
The club has taken that all into account thus sitting Chilli and now Mitch for periods throughout the year/s.
Sounds pretty simplistic but that is how i have heard it in a nutshell

I don’t think he said they aren’t any good. We all know Conway could be a star for us but we can’t deny a stress fracture to the navicular isn’t very worrisome. We 100% need a number 1 ruck for the next couple of years because we would be stupid to bank it all on an injury prone ruck like Conway right now
Well, if they are both made of glass.
Sounds like they aren't any good... well to us anyways.
Maybe i read it differently?
Either way each 2 their own.
I have faith in all of our players. Well. Except the old farts as father time gets everyone in the end LOL.
Cheers

Ok so Gawn hit his strides and got over injuries at 25. Conway is 21 and injured. If we follow the Gawn example what do we do for the next 4 years?
As i said.
The Club has learned a lot from that scenario.
Hence he has sat out more football than most young ruckman to avoid a major injury that would derail his career.
Does that equate to a healthy more stable, a sturdier more resilient 22 year old in 2025.??
I think so. I'll back the club on this one.
If they think otherwise they will go to Plan B or C or even D.
Either way i'm cool with whatever way the club heads.

As i said.
The Club has learned a lot from that scenario.
Hence he has sat out more football than most young ruckman to avoid a major injury that would derail his career.
Does that equate to a healthy more stable, a sturdier more resilient 22 year old in 2025.??
I think so. I'll back the club on this one.
If they think otherwise they will go to Plan B or C or even D.
Either way i'm cool with whatever way the club heads.

What more can we do really.

I have no real solid conviction we must go this way or that … Id be happy enough to see us add a short term player , basically replace Stanley with a similar type.. and our list be heavier in rucks till Conway or who every becomes that regular and reliable player..

.. and I also not be unhappy if we again added more youth. Pike or someone like that. The club certainly has had a strong look at him so they would know how quickly they would think someone like him we be able and ready to support.

If we trade for Bryan then I would think the clubs see him as more than just a filler as being contracted , I doubt we get him for a throw away pick.

Whilst they do (grow) they are susceptible to more pains rather than injury to lower back legs feet than those who have stopped growing.Which if not monitored/watched closely can lead to injury/s.
The club has taken that all into account thus sitting Chilli and now Mitch for periods throughout the year/s.

One has to wonder that the early games that Freo put into Darcy may be detrimental to his longevity.

Would be good to get Davies logical conclusion is he will be involved in the Noble trade but imagine Davies and a developed Knviett in the midfield together that’s two big bodies there

Would Davies and Noble be a straight swap … or would GC, Crows and Pies try to work a way to get Lukosius to Crows, Keane to Pies ..and Noble landing at GC with some picks. They will need later picks for Aca players

Well, if they are both made of glass.
Sounds like they aren't any good... well to us anyways.
Maybe i read it differently?
Either way each 2 their own.
I have faith in all of our players. Well. Except the old farts as father time gets everyone in the end LOL.
Cheers

'made of glass' refers to the delicacy of their physical frame, and their tendency to be prone to injury.

It's not a slight on their ability.

Considering the success of recent mature draftees…. and the chance we may trade early picks to get in play now types… one would think there is a good chance we add another young mature type at years end...

A few names in this article that have played in our VFL games…. Hughes and Herbert and Pike and Ajang

and apparently the Davidson kid gos alright. ..

image1_IVYh8eLA3.jpg

Sam Davidson (Maffra/Richmond VFL)​

The hottest prospect from this list and more than likely to be selected in this year’s AFL draft. Davidson kicked 23 goals this season for the Tigers in the VFL and is the favourite to win the under-23 best and fairest medal in the competition. The former Maffra and South Mildura player has leapfrogged into contention and the forward could be heading to the Richmond Tigers’ AFL team. That is, if no other team goes for him first.

Opinions. We all have them.
Club thinks we are fine with those two gems.
So do I.
You don't think they are any good as they are apparently made of glass.
Similar to what my Dees mate said of Gawn in his first couple of years.
I think Max may have played about a dozen games in his first 4 years... always injured.
Interesting.
We shall see which way they head.
But if you are all for spending another 2nd rounder (that'll be 3 in 4 years) on a stop gap for a year or two.
Then their player list acquisition/retention/strategy is way off kilter.

I didnt say they werent any good. Conway in particular is very good. But he struggled to blow out a candle with endurance before he broke his foot-fitness will be way back now. Edwards is too early to call but physically miles off ready. We have been through this in the dawson simpson days-it doesnt matter how good they are if their bodies cant hold it together.
But my point was they are in no way ready for 2025 that shouls be obvious to you-so if we plan to contend in 2025 then we need to trade in a ruck that can lead the line. You trade in someone like bryan-contend now and if say conway surpasses him in 2027 then you trade one of the rucks out for a draft pick. To me thats a much better idea than the one you are suggesting.

Its incongruous to on one hand go one more year with the likes of danger guthrie blitz duncan etc plus bring in smith (bc it suggests we will have a crack at a flag next year) but on the other hand tank it by going in with no fit and ready ruck for 2025. You either get a ruck or you retire those guys and make 2025 a rebuilding year.

Last edited:
Considering the success of recent mature draftees…. and the chance we may trade early picks to get in play now types… one would think there is a good chance we add another young mature type at years end...

A few names in this article that have played in our VFL games…. Hughes and Herbert and Pike and Ajang

and apparently the Davidson kid gos alright. ..

image1_IVYh8eLA3.jpg

Sam Davidson (Maffra/Richmond VFL)​

The hottest prospect from this list and more than likely to be selected in this year’s AFL draft. Davidson kicked 23 goals this season for the Tigers in the VFL and is the favourite to win the under-23 best and fairest medal in the competition. The former Maffra and South Mildura player has leapfrogged into contention and the forward could be heading to the Richmond Tigers’ AFL team. That is, if no other team goes for him first.

Davidson probably does go as a rookie given history.

If they could stop talking up pike that would be great id like to take him with our rookie pick (when we delist murdoch).

Herbert has been massive for leadership this year and id love to see him drafted to reward effort like atkins was. But im not sure he has enough transferrable afl attributes.

Would Davies and Noble be a straight swap … or would GC, Crows and Pies try to work a way to get Lukosius to Crows, Keane to Pies ..and Noble landing at GC with some picks. They will need later picks for Aca players

They will push for davies (coll) but hopefully he picks us like bowes. Do pies want keane given his tendency to go back to ireland?
Ideally noble to gc keane to adel davies to us and later picks from us to gc (to match bids) would work. I think luko wants port (who dont have the currency) and they will hold him anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there’s one thing our board agrees 99.9% on its that Conway looks to be our best ruck prospect since Ottens or Damian Bourke for pure ruck talent but that he also may struggle to 50 games the way his body handles it.

The dawson simpson correlations are there (even though i think conway has a higher ceiling than dawson did).

Any VFL mid at another club can do a Mannagh and help out our midfield for next year?
Bailey Smith & another one or two we need.

Conway and edwards are made of glass both. We 1000 % need to bring in another ruck its just a question of whether it needs to be a young one like bryan or a short term rental like obrien.
Kingy on the Catattack Podcast said Stanley might be going g around in 2025? Which I was surprised

Surely not his body is shot and he wanted to retire last year?
Maybe the thinking is he can give them 6-8 games... Or one a month??
Tells me that there isn't any options out there that they want or are gettable at a cheap price.
Or they think Chilli will be able to get at least 15 games in and they need 6-8 games to give him a rest.

Seeing Edwards at some vfl games is pretty much the same height as Conway. They both have lots of talent but they’ve already missed so much footy. We need someone that can play every week.
I don’t mind what Dekoning could be as a ruck but he needs to put on some size and get some mongrel.
We need a ruck with some aggression

I think people on here have to take a beer and relax on here on what people say on here..
I only really know 3 people in person who post on this forum and all the rest I could walk past you at a game of footy and wouldn't know who you are..
When people say " they have inside information about on who they want to come to Geelong "
You all have to remember 99% of the time it's bull💩. I'm not sure why people get sucked into believing into post they read here eg" Nick Bryan coming to Geelong " honestly don't believe everything that is posted on BigFooty as most of it is just bull💩

I think people on here have to take a beer and relax on here on what people say on here..
I only really know 3 people in person who post on this forum and all the rest I could walk past you at a game of footy and wouldn't know who you are..
When people say " they have inside information about on who they want to come to Geelong "
You all have to remember 99% of the time it's bull💩. I'm not sure why people get sucked into believing into post they read here eg" Nick Bryan coming to Geelong " honestly don't believe everything that is posted on BigFooty as most of it is just bull💩
How dare you doubt the great Mahlepi…May he wake back from his slumber and humble you

Seeing Edwards at some vfl games is pretty much the same height as Conway. They both have lots of talent but they’ve already missed so much footy. We need someone that can play every week.
I don’t mind what Dekoning could be as a ruck but he needs to put on some size and get some mongrel.
We need a ruck with some aggression

I don't think aggression and mongrel is in SDK's DNA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back