Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

No one has answered this. But is Smith worth it? I wouldn't have a clue.
He is absolutely worth it. Guy is an absolute gun. Fell out with Bevo at some point and lost confidence then did an ACL. But trains probably harder than any player, and can do things most players can’t. That 21 season, he has some highlights as a then 20 yr old that are truly elite. If the asking price from the dogs is 1 x first rounder, we will probably fall over selves to get it done.

Apparently comments from Tom Morris to the effect of "Bailey Smith will look at any club offering 6 years".

Could be BS, could be Smith's people trying to push us for a bigger deal, could be a Hopper situation where someone comes over the top of us at the last minute.....

Apparently comments from Tom Morris to the effect of "Bailey Smith will look at any club offering 6 years".

Could be BS, could be Smith's people trying to push us for a bigger deal, could be a Hopper situation where someone comes over the top of us at the last minute.....

My immediate thoughts on that (IF TRUE) is that it's a disappointing attitude, considering the circumstances.

Smith and his management would know that Geelong don't give out 6 year contracts willy-nilly like Essendon does and they'd be demanding longer contracts than basically all other players (think Jez got 6 years) is a bit rich.

Some self-awareness would be nice here from the Smith camp.

He is coming off an ACL and also has multiple other issues everyone knows about.

My gut says this 6 year thing isn't completely true... If it is then it isn't very reassuring about Smith's commitment to whatever club he ends up at.

Just my thoughts... I don't love the attitude if true.

You would think any club would stop doing any contracts more 5+ , after all this Petracca, Oliver, Grundy contracts saga... 5 years for stars 🌟 like Cameron and Dangerfield in there prime, I understand but 6 or more is to much of a risk for club and player

Consider the source

Unless it’s coming from Edmund, Twomey, Daniels or Cleary it’s usually just guesswork.
I have and I rarely take anything as 100% unless confirmed directly from clubs, players or agents.

I always cover my bases and drop (if true) in whatever I am saying when things are speculative.

It doesn't mean I believe what was said... But "if true" I don't love the attitude.

If someone does good luck to them and bailey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If true..

Really poor attitude and another flag for me against him..

The little things are adding up against if it’s true what has been posted.

Like warm on this

Go Catters

My immediate thoughts on that (IF TRUE) is that it's a disappointing attitude, considering the circumstances.

Smith and his management would know that Geelong don't give out 6 year contracts willy-nilly like Essendon does and they'd be demanding longer contracts than basically all other players (think Jez got 6 years) is a bit rich.

Some self-awareness would be nice here from the Smith camp.

He is coming off an ACL and also has multiple other issues everyone knows about.

My gut says this 6 year thing isn't completely true... If it is then it isn't very reassuring about Smith's commitment to whatever club he ends up at.

Just my thoughts... I don't love the attitude if true.
I think the market has also changed a bit since we got Danger and Cameron in though. It was pretty rare for anyone to get a 6 year deal at that stage, whereas now 6 or 7 are relatively commonplace.

I know we have a much talked about 'pay structure' but we also need to be competitive in attracting talent. I think it won't be long until we sign someone on a 6 year deal, we just have to make sure that that person is high enough quality to know they're worth it. The question is, is Smith that person? I personally wouldn't have an issue with it as long as the $$$ aren't ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back