Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

If we landed both Baz and Oliver i wouldn't care but if we landed only one I'd be a little concerned

Oliver isn't worth any first let alone one where you don't know what the pick number is.

He did. And he's a great player and I love watching him play and I hope he stays on the list. Buttt... He's also got very high trade currency and he plays a position we have decent depth in and that we could cover with cheap free market options. As a stand alone It makes no sense... But if we have to lose a player with a high market value to pay for Smith/Clarry coming in i'd rather lose Stengle than SDK/Jezza or Holmes(who would be our other desirable players)

Stengle won't get traded after just signing for 5 and if it came to that (which it wont) I'd rather lose close than stengle.

Oliver isn't worth any first let alone one where you don't know what the pick number is.
If we add two mids not one then I would say the chances of missing the 8 start to look remote.

I'd be worried about the contract not the pick. If they take enough to warrant getting a first for offloading him then I'd be happy to part with it.

The midfield goes from maybe

Conway Danger Holmes
Dempsey Bruhn Mannagh

To

Conway Oliver Smith
Dempsey Danger Holmes

I mean, even if Oliver only improves marginally that's a big difference to a team that is pretty good inside either 50.

Be useful as our 3rd rotation through the middle.
Could you imagine?

Conway tapping to a Clarry (5kgs lighter btw) who deftly handballs to a Smith breaking away on the spread, then the aggressive handpass to TK smoothly weaving through the congestion to lace out whichever forward option is being underestimated today.

Our defenders would get bored

If we add two mids not one then I would say the chances of missing the 8 start to look remote.

I'd be worried about the contract not the pick. If they take enough to warrant getting a first for offloading him then I'd be happy to part with it.

Conway Danger Holmes
Dempsey Bruhn Mannagh

To

Conway Oliver Smith
Dempsey Danger Holmes

I mean, even if Oliver only improves marginally that's a big difference to a team that is pretty good inside either 50.

I get that but when he's on 1.3mil a year there's no way you take that risk to 2030 AND pay a r1. If we do the trade it will be and has to be for less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stengle won't get traded after just signing for 5 and if it came to that (which it wont) I'd rather lose close than stengle.

Me too. But you'd get a lot more for Stengle. Im going to shut up now to attempt avoiding five years of supporters saying "some people wanted to trade Stengle out".

Conway Danger Holmes
Dempsey Bruhn Mannagh

To

Conway Oliver Smith
Dempsey Danger Holmes

Yeah, we have to assume if the club are bringing Smith & Oliver in, then they've done their due diligence.

If that's the case and it's mostly smooth sailing for them, I'm finding it pretty hard to see us missing the eight barring a horrific injury run, which isn't something you can really hold against the club either if things don't work out.

Comfortable with the future first in that regard. Pick 16 next year for instance isn't going to make or break our future.

Might actually allow us to get a free agent for 'free' for once too with our lack of capital.

We've said all year that we've done our fair share of drafting and developing with youngsters lately.

Not everyone will make it of course, but we've done a fair bit of future proofing over the last 5 years, and in particular the last 3 years.

Probably time to go all in once again.

Good call.

Have to wonder if MFC sought legal counsel regarding breach of contract + with other players too?

It appears MFC, from top to bottom, issues are endemic.

Dodgy behaviour regarding drug tests + feigning injuries is startling. However, not only to MFC. No point to continuing this. It’s simply an example of many problems.

Consequently, it’s MFC’s responsibility to resolve, not Geelong.
Yes it seems MFC is a basket case top to bottom and it's the last place someone like CO should be calling home. Geelong however ...

Yeah, we have to assume if the club are bringing Smith & Oliver in, then they've done their due diligence.

If that's the case and it's mostly smooth sailing for them, I'm finding it pretty hard to see us missing the eight barring a horrific injury run, which isn't something you can really hold against the club either if things don't work out.

Comfortable with the future first in that regard. Pick 16 next year for instance isn't going to make or break our future.

Might actually allow us to get a free agent for 'free' for once too with our lack of capital.

We've said all year that we've done our fair share of drafting and developing with youngsters lately.

Not everyone will make it of course, but we've done a fair bit of future proofing over the last 5 years, and in particular the last 3 years.

Probably time to go all in once again.
If we're taking on majority of Oliver's contract then I'd say we're out of the free agency market for a little while.

Last edited:
Could you imagine?

Conway tapping to a Clarry (5kgs lighter btw) who deftly handballs to a Smith breaking away on the spread, then the aggressive handpass to TK smoothly weaving through the congestion to lace out whichever forward option is being underestimated today.

Our defenders would get bored
He hasn't done that at WCE yet, we would have to have him unlearn all the bad habits they have taught him.

That said he probably would be really happy to have "forward options" because until this year they had none.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back